• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sun Powered - Solar Project Update, No net power use in September

SqueeGee

Just a quick update on our solar project that I posted about here: http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67165&highlight=SOLAR

We just had our first month where our net use was 0 kWh. We've also registered to sell SREC's through SRECTrade in Pennsylvannia. We've been generating about 1.5 SREC's on average per month. At the current market price of $250-300, we average about $350 per month of income after the transaction fees. Our power bill is running $100 or less so we're about $250 in the black each month thus far.

It will be interesting to see how the winter works out with shortened days.

Attachments

• POWER BILL FOR SIGN101.jpg
    POWER BILL FOR SIGN101.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 127

SignManiac

That's really good news! I read you original thread and was very curious to see how it works out for you. I wish I was younger, I'd invest in solar myself. Living in Florida, its a no brainer. And looking at the other thread about electric costs, I think you're going to see more and more people taking the plunge.

Letterbox Mike

Very nice. So do you think this was a worthwhile investment? I'm really fascinated by this. Like it or not, alternative energy sources are in our future, and it's going to cost more and more to continue to use traditional sources and less and less to use solar and wind power.

WildWestDesigns

Very nice. So do you think this was a worthwhile investment? I'm really fascinated by this. Like it or not, alternative energy sources are in our future, and it's going to cost more and more to continue to use traditional sources and less and less to use solar and wind power.

That's the way that it is no matter what is being discussed.

I don't think anybody dislikes alternative energy sources in of itself, it's usually the price that is associated with it at first, until economies of scale picks up.

Brandon708

very smart investment. I bet Freehandan would be pissed that your sign company would still be up and running when the power goes out. lol

SqueeGee

why do you owe $28 for "distribution delivery" when nothing was distributed or delivered?

We had no net power use but we do use power when there's no sun. When we generate more than we use(on sunny days), the meter spins backwards. So we "borrowed" their electricity until we could give it back. To be hooked up to their grid, that's the minimum charge for having that convenience.

Firefox

why do you owe $28 for "distribution delivery" when nothing was distributed or delivered?

You don't think they will really let you get away without paying anything, after all they still have the wiring connected to the building even if the electrons are flowing the other direction. Still have to pay to use their hardware.

Mosh

$40K would give me power for 22 years (average bill is $150 month). How long is this system going to last without being replaced?
I do think it is a great idea, the cost is just not justified at this point. I have been looking into it for our new house.

jiarby

I agree with Mosh...

Mosh... if you have no electric bill maybe you do not need all that copper wire the tweakers stole from you last year?

Techman

There is always a minimum payment to those theeves.

Here there is a 20 bux a month minimum gas harge and a 11 bux a month minimum electrical charge.

My gas bill in summer is just 2.220 for a month , however the service charge is 20 bux so i always have to pay at least 22 bux a month. I really hate them for that.

SqueeGee

$40K would give me power for 22 years (average bill is $150 month). How long is this system going to last without being replaced?
I do think it is a great idea, the cost is just not justified at this point. I have been looking into it for our new house.

Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone. In our case, the ROI is going to be about 2 years considering the rebates, tax incentives, SREC's and energy savings.

The other thing to consider is that your power bill is $150 a month NOW. My guess is that we're all going to see that number climb.

Brandon708

That is assuming the bill won't go up. It would be safe to add a 5% increase to that annually at the least. Also if he is in a climate that uses central air conditioning most of the year the bill will be much higher.

Mosh

OK so say 40K takes 15 years adding 5% a year, how long will these things last. I do agree on "going green" but it has to economicly correct for the normal dude to do it. I am sure in 10 years the price is going to be better.

Brandon708

OK so say 40K takes 15 years adding 5% a year, how long will these things last. I do agree on "going green" but it has to economicly correct for the normal dude to do it. I am sure in 10 years the price is going to be better.

Yeah its a lot of upfront costs.

Very interesting.

I'd like to revisit this thread in a year from now and hopefully you can post the savings of what you paid a year prior to see if it matches up with the forecast.

Also, I wonder what the panel degradation will bring yearly, will it generate the same as before or less? Maintenance costs? In 20 years how much will be needed, and labor costs of replacement. Are their batteries?

Energy rebates are great, but do you ever wonder where they come from or who they get passed on to?

Looks like you have good roof space for the panels too.

Good thread, hope you keep it updated every so often, always good to hear facts from claims on ROI.