• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Surge Protectors?

phototec

I was doing a Google search for vehicle wraps and came upon some tech tips and one of them was the recommendation that every wide format printer MUST be on a surge protector-battery back up! Said this will ensure that the parts and boards are well protected from electrical surges or loss of power, that important jobs are not lost, and that your machine keeps on printing when you need it!
How many of you have your printer on a surge protector battery back up? And what size would I need for a Roland SP540v?
Thanks for any and all help regarding surge protector-battery back up for my printer.

signage

Use the search feature here late I have answered several threads on UPS and you will find the info to size properly!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i have two printers and the RIP on their own backups. definatly comes in handy when the power goes out for a few minutes. whichs happens way too often.

jiarby

Mutoh is now selling a surge protection system on their website (mutoh.com)

I use an APC ES8 650, one on each PC and also my 1604. Mostly to protect from crazy SRP power out here in AZ during the Monsoon season. It is not to keep printing when the power goes off. In 2-1/2 years the power has never failed in the middle fo a print job, but probably hundreds of times otherwise. Usually here they are just power blinks.

Attachments

• 12-15-2009 9-23-40 AM.jpg
    12-15-2009 9-23-40 AM.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 100

ProWraps

be prepared to buy LARGE backups. that one that was posted, will NOT work. we purchased big ones through frys, and they tripped the alarms immediately.

the printers draw such a large amount that they require big backups. we spent almost $1k for two backups (for two printers) and they didnt work.

jiarby

yep,

It's the heaters. They draw quite the load. My 1604 Mutog has a plug for teh printer and a plug for the heaters. The printer goes into the surge. The heaters go into the wall. I am just trying to protect the printer.

If I put BOTH in the same surge it trips.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would think any type of electrical device would go on a surge protector nowadays as common sense. I see many lightning strikes and surges fry computer motherboards every year, and not just through the power, also through the internet connection lines. be sure your lines are on surge protectors at least, as the $20 spent on a simple surge strip is much better than the repairs necessary after a hit.

anotherdog

So what are the specs?
since the 540 runs all its power through the same plug it has to support 8-9amps (does that include surge?)

Checkers

Like Brian said, use the search feature at the top of the page. There's a lot of good info previously discussed.
Also, if possible, don't bother trying to connect your heaters to the back-up. In order to be effective as a back-up, the back-up probably would end up costing as much as the printer.
Finally, also make sure whatever model you get has voltage conditioning and noise reduction.

Checkers

Area51Graphix

Hi guys!!

we used a liebert 3kva On-line UPS on our Mimaki, Here in venezuela have pretty serious problem whith the electricity.