• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Switched to TR2 inks and now have roller tracks now and not before

NextGenDesigns

Last week I finally ran out of my TR Roland inks and switched to the TR2 inks, but now I am getting roller tracks when I oo a print cut that I did not get before.

I am using the same material and loaded in the same profile that I had been using and reprinting some of the same prints. Now when it rolls the material back in to cut I am getting roller marks in the print that I never got before.

If I set a dry time of 5 minutes they don't show up, but this now adds 5 minutes to the print time, some of my jobs are nested and repeated on a take-up reel and this could easily add 2 -3 hours to the printing some of these projects. Like the I am printing today is print 18" then contour cut, I have 20 of these to do.

Has anyone experienced this and if so have you found an adjustment that works that is not adding a dry time?

Thank you so much for your help and input.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
It’ll likely just be those inks take longer to dry. You’ll either have to change the ink limits or if possible put the heater up.

NextGenDesigns

I think TR2 came with new profiles so first thing I would do is check that and update to those if so.
Thank you, I will double-check that as well. I downloaded the profile for the 3m material from the roland site, and thought I selected the tr2 ink, but I could have selected wrong, I will give hat a try

petepaz

i only have that issue when i print/use the white ink. definitely check ink settings and or updates but one way to get out of it is only use the 2 end rollers, don't use the manual rollers you add on. i only use the add on rollers when it's something with a super critical cut but truthfully really don't use them much at all.

NextGenDesigns

i only have that issue when i print/use the white ink. definitely check ink settings and or updates but one way to get out of it is only use the 2 end rollers, don't use the manual rollers you add on. i only use the add on rollers when it's something with a super critical cut but truthfully really don't use them much at all.
HI!

You don't use all the center rollers, even on 54" material? I have always put them in, but they are a pain, and now this issue.

petepaz

95% of the time the extra rollers aren't needed. at least that's been my experience.
we have 5 rolands and i very rarely have an issue. if and when i do then i add the extra rollers

Joe House

One of the issues we saw with TR inks was that they would dry too fast causing nozzle block out or requiring more frequent cleanings. It really wasn't very forgiving to those who didn't practice good regular maintenance. This was great for situations like yours, but caused problems for others.
Versaworks won't let you use old profiles with TR2 inks, but check out the other profiles that come with the update. I generally have pretty good luck with the Generic V2 profiles as they lay down less ink. Also, run the dryer heat at the top heat.
If you're printing with white, I highly recommend getting the optional dryer and blower for your printer.

Good Luck

NextGenDesigns

95% of the time the extra rollers aren't needed. at least that's been my experience.
we have 5 rolands and i very rarely have an issue. if and when i do then i add the extra rollers
I just ran my first job with just the 2 rollers on 54" material, it was just a few stickers, but so far so good and no 5 minute wait time to dry, thank you!

NextGenDesigns

One of the issues we saw with TR inks was that they would dry too fast causing nozzle block out or requiring more frequent cleanings. It really wasn't very forgiving to those who didn't practice good regular maintenance. This was great for situations like yours, but caused problems for others.
Versaworks won't let you use old profiles with TR2 inks, but check out the other profiles that come with the update. I generally have pretty good luck with the Generic V2 profiles as they lay down less ink. Also, run the dryer heat at the top heat.
If you're printing with white, I highly recommend getting the optional dryer and blower for your printer.

Good Luck

Hi!

Thank you for the input! I will bump up the dryer too. I do have 6 clogged nozzles I can't get cleaned out if you have any suggestions for that, I manually clean weekly. About a 3 month ago I had a dampener sensor go bad and it dumped out a good amount of cyan ink on the print. I replaced it and right after all was fine, but then a few nozzles at the top of the head for cyan stopped and I have tried several manual cleans, holding a swab with cleaning solution against it for a little while and no luck.

I don't spring white, my setup is CMYKLcLmLk but I think the blower would be a good addition with way.

Thank you

Milestone

Milestone

I have found that when printing large prints for wraps etc. that if you don't have all the pinch rollers in use, some colors will print faded, streaky and sometimes blotchy.
For smaller prints not a big deal.

DigitalPrintTech

There is no wrong question, just wrong answers
Curious what the wheels have to do with ink fading?
Look, I never use all of the wheels, they are not needed. Even on 18oz banner I use only 4 equally spread out. Vinyl just the 2 outside ones. If you are laminating and cutting, then I would also use 4 spaced as evenly as possible. Heat runs the best at 94 on print and 116-118 on dryer. I have customers printing wraps on these machines daily, setup just like this and they do not have issues. 6 nozzles out concerns me a little in one head, are they grouped together or spread out? If grouped then this could be problematic, spread out, I would not be too concerned. Go into the sub menu and set your vacuum power to 80% this will keep the material pulled down to the platen and helps with keeping color consistent. Not sure what RIP you are using, but be sure its up to date. If you are using Versaworks 6.8 then, I would just try for testing purposes using the generic vinyl 2 profile and set the mode to 10pass, change halftone to Error Diffusion, and under color management select it to True Rich color 2. Be sure to check under the printer controls tab and switch the media feed calibration to use printer settings, under Other controls, set it to custom and keep the default setting. Heater control should be Use printer settings too. Also be sure your machine firmware is up to date if you switched to TR2 inks, then current version is 4.10. Good Luck