• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

taking grommets out

fozzie

have to take grommets out of existing pole banners (so we can sew hem where tape is failing) and then put new grommets back in same place.

never had to do this...other than drilling anyone have done this before or got better idea.

thanks in advance.

CanuckSigns

drilling them out doesn't work, tried it before, the little buggers got so hot they melted the banner and ruined it.

Mosh

Pliers. squeeze the side that is like a washer both ways. Didn't use VHB tape did you?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like he said, you basically have to smash them, but I highly doubt new ones will go back in the same holes and hold securely.

S

spmracing

If possible i would honestly make the banner a inch shorter all the way around.. Not worth the headache!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Pliers. squeeze the side that is like a washer both ways. Didn't use VHB tape did you?

Sort of. You deform the part of the grommet that is peened over the washer with long nose pliers. Done properly the grommet and washer simply fall off..

fozzie

success

thanks all for the advice. Bob your method worked well.

not sure what kind of tape was used. we didnt do these. we were able sew the banners along the tape line and put new grommets back in.

dvsjes28

Use a set of needle nose pliers and bend up half of the backside on the grommet. Once you can get the needle nose to have a good grip on the grommet backing clamp down tight and twist the pliers so the grommet wraps off onto the plier nose. Easiest way I have found so far.