• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tape measures...how many is too many?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I have about six tape measures I keep on the truck for various installations. A small Komelon 12' self-locking tape that I use for small, up-close jobs, a 16' Milwaukee for slightly larger jobs, a 25' DeWalt for larger interior jobs, a 25' FatMax for exterior work, a 25' self-centering Lufkin for jobs requiring repetitive centering of signs, a 25' Harbor Freight 'freebie' tape that I use when digging/measuring piers or any install where it's going to get beat up, a Fastcap FlatBack tape for layout, and now this:

This is the German-made BMI 3m/10ft tape.

Depress the lever and the tape extends outward on its own. If the tape is supported (ie, the tape is on a horizontal panel or sign face), it will extend out the entire 10'. Pretty cool. If it's unsupported (ie, if you just hold it in the air and press the lever), it will extend out about 5' and then fold due to the weight of the blade.

The dimensions are on what would normally be the back of a regular tape measure blade - the convex side. This places the dimension lines directly on the work surface rather that curled up and away from it like a standard tape measure blade. Much easier to mark dimensions on your work piece.

Depress the lever and manually push the blade in by hand to retract it.

Includes a handy belt clip which works really well. The tape clips on and off very easily.

It isn't perfect for every measuring job, but will be really nice for hanging vinyl on doors, etc.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 142

Jillbeans

You can never have enough.
And I can eyeball and then measure, and it's almost always straight.
My fave is a regular wooden yardstick, but I have steel rulers and about 4 tape measures.
Love.....jill

SignosaurusRex

Too many is not enough. You never know when you'll find yourself working up high or over water in frigid conditions that make it tough to hang onto a tape measure. Sometimes the real cheap ones come in very handy. :banghead:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
My son works for a rather chubby boss who runs a small lumber sawing business. A few months ago, my son was sweeping the sawdust from the shop and found a total of twelve tape measures scattered about the floor...beneath the dust. "Ben Dover" definitely doesn't work there.

JB

gabagoo

They seem to vanish almost as frequently as blue stabiles. I always look out for sales on them and grab a bunch. I now look for the versions with very large type for older guys who can't see to well:smile:

Z SIGNS

You can never have enough.Somewhere out in the universe there is a big black hole that's filled with tape measures,stabilos,x-acto handles and nutdrivers that belong to me

petepaz

42...yup that seems about right
not too many but just enough...haha

i have 2 in my install tool box, 1 in my work car, 1 in the shop van and 1 in my vette that seems to work for me

brush1

I'm a women.
I need more then you guys.
I have one in any single handbag what I own. I'm glad they are big handbags in the fashion.
This is the only place when I'm sure I can find at list one :Big Laugh

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Here's a quick video I did of how the tape works. Like I said, not a substitute for every tape measure, but it would definitely come in handy for when you only have one hand free, etc.

[video=youtube;WQ-L8eTHe54]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ-L8eTHe54[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: