• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Taping Vinyl Rolls Not In-Use (and other media)

xanderortiz

Our current system is to tape (masking tape) rolls of vinyl while not in-use so they don't unravel. We store our vinyl vertical, as our boss doesn't want to buy or build a rack to hang them horizontally. I realize that if we DID store them horizontally, gravity would keep the leading edge down and not unravel, but I cannot do that. Here is the problem:

When I tape the vinyl at the top and bottom, sometimes I may not use that media for a week or longer (sometimes a month or more). By that time, the masking tape has left its adhesive residue which makes the first 2 feet or so unusable, because when ink prints to it, there are defective spots from said residue.

Do you have an alternative method to keeping rolls of media from unraveling while being stored vertically? Maybe at least a cleaner tape?

tsgstl

buy a roll of 1" transfer tape and use that.
If you notice that is how it comes out of the box.
Heck I end up with so much I never touch my roll I just reuse what comes with the rolls of vinyl. When I take it off the roll to feed it thru my plotter I just stick it to the top of the plotter so I can put it right back on.

idsignsil

Many of the supply houses are now offering a velcro strap that you can put around the media. Transfer tape works just as well. I use the velcro straps because they were given to me by our supply house. Before that I used transfer tape.

J

john1

I stopped taping my digital media a while ago because i kept seeing contamination in that area it was used. No matter what i used.

I just use the clear baggie the media comes in over it now and store it on one of the end cap things that comes in the box. Works great for me.

On cut vinyl i just use transfer tape, No contamination there.

gabagoo

I used pre mask but to many times it falls off. I now just use masking tape, but I tape it at the top as that part of the vinyl is never printed on...works fine

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Long time ago, I bought green 1/2" velcro straps for my tomato plants. I now buy that and velcro all kindsa stuff together like that. It doesn't leave any glue residue and you don't need to make it tight, so it doesn't leave any scrunch marks either. It's absolutely perfect. Heck, if it's not going to damage a tomato plant , it sure as heck ain't gonna damage vinyl.

xanderortiz

Epic solutions, guys!

Why not just use rubber bands?

That would seem to be too easy, ha; but it's not. If I used something like rubber bands, it would make it very tedious every time I loaded a roll onto the printer. I would have to balance the roll (those matte banner rolls have to be 50 to 75 lbs) on the loading caps while I pull off rubber bands.

I think those Media Clips suggested are perfect. I will try using transfer tape for the mean time, because that makes the most sense. Transfer tape is designed to stick on vinyl for prolonged periods time and not leave residue after sign installation. Thanks for the great ideas! :thankyou:

C

ColoPrinthead

I take a strip of vinyl and tuck it under the edge of the media, wrap it around the roll and tape it to its self.

Doug Pulver

I use 3/4" wide velcro straps that I found on eBay 18" straps for anything from a 10 yard roll and smaller and a 24" strap for up to a 50 yard roll.

SignosaurusRex

Use a strip of paper or a vinyl trimming strip tucked into the roll about one length of the diameter of the existing roll. Wrap the rest (tail) around the roll and tape the end of that. No contamination...no residue...no indentations from rubber bands... Keep it simple and sweet.

mopar691

I use 1" green painters tape on the top and bottom edge, so you're not contaminating any of the usable media. The only complaint I have is that the back of our printer if full of hundreds of little green tabs, since you only get 1 or 2 peels before it loses it's tack. Doesn't leave crap behind like the cheap disintegrating masking tape suppliers love to use either.....

I do exactly the same thing and have little green tabs everywhere.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Another +1 on Velcro. Get a roll of the 3/4" double sided type on eBay. Cut it to the length you need, about 18 inches or so.