Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taping Vinyl Rolls Not In-Use (and other media)

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by xanderortiz, Oct 22, 2012.

1. xanderortiz

xanderortiz New Member

May 15, 2012
    Our current system is to tape (masking tape) rolls of vinyl while not in-use so they don't unravel. We store our vinyl vertical, as our boss doesn't want to buy or build a rack to hang them horizontally. I realize that if we DID store them horizontally, gravity would keep the leading edge down and not unravel, but I cannot do that. Here is the problem:

When I tape the vinyl at the top and bottom, sometimes I may not use that media for a week or longer (sometimes a month or more). By that time, the masking tape has left its adhesive residue which makes the first 2 feet or so unusable, because when ink prints to it, there are defective spots from said residue.

Do you have an alternative method to keeping rolls of media from unraveling while being stored vertically? Maybe at least a cleaner tape?

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    edit: nevermind, monday morning sickness math problems.

try transfer tape

3. tsgstl

tsgstl Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    buy a roll of 1" transfer tape and use that.
    If you notice that is how it comes out of the box.
    Heck I end up with so much I never touch my roll I just reuse what comes with the rolls of vinyl. When I take it off the roll to feed it thru my plotter I just stick it to the top of the plotter so I can put it right back on.

4. BrianKE

BrianKE Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Why not just use rubber bands?

5. idsignsil

idsignsil Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Springfield, IL
    Many of the supply houses are now offering a velcro strap that you can put around the media. Transfer tape works just as well. I use the velcro straps because they were given to me by our supply house. Before that I used transfer tape.

6. john1

john1 Guest

I stopped taping my digital media a while ago because i kept seeing contamination in that area it was used. No matter what i used.

I just use the clear baggie the media comes in over it now and store it on one of the end cap things that comes in the box. Works great for me.

On cut vinyl i just use transfer tape, No contamination there.

7. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    +1
    Only way to fly. We've been doing that for years. Never leaves a gluey residue.

8. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I used pre mask but to many times it falls off. I now just use masking tape, but I tape it at the top as that part of the vinyl is never printed on...works fine

9. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Long time ago, I bought green 1/2" velcro straps for my tomato plants. I now buy that and velcro all kindsa stuff together like that. It doesn't leave any glue residue and you don't need to make it tight, so it doesn't leave any scrunch marks either. It's absolutely perfect. Heck, if it's not going to damage a tomato plant , it sure as heck ain't gonna damage vinyl.

10. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    I use 3/4" green masking tape- a piece on each end where it won't print anyway.

11. xanderortiz

xanderortiz New Member

May 15, 2012
    Epic solutions, guys!

That would seem to be too easy, ha; but it's not. If I used something like rubber bands, it would make it very tedious every time I loaded a roll onto the printer. I would have to balance the roll (those matte banner rolls have to be 50 to 75 lbs) on the loading caps while I pull off rubber bands.

I think those Media Clips suggested are perfect. I will try using transfer tape for the mean time, because that makes the most sense. Transfer tape is designed to stick on vinyl for prolonged periods time and not leave residue after sign installation. Thanks for the great ideas! :thankyou:

12. sar bossier

sar bossier Very Active Member

Apr 7, 2011
    +1 for velcro straps - we use them as well ...

13. ColoPrinthead

ColoPrinthead Swollen Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Donkeytown, Colorado
    I take a strip of vinyl and tuck it under the edge of the media, wrap it around the roll and tape it to its self.

14. Doug Pulver

Doug Pulver Member

Oct 14, 2008
    I use 3/4" wide velcro straps that I found on eBay 18" straps for anything from a 10 yard roll and smaller and a 24" strap for up to a 50 yard roll.

15. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Use a strip of paper or a vinyl trimming strip tucked into the roll about one length of the diameter of the existing roll. Wrap the rest (tail) around the roll and tape the end of that. No contamination...no residue...no indentations from rubber bands... Keep it simple and sweet.

16. wwpro

wwpro Member

Apr 21, 2009
  17. mopar691

mopar691 Member

Sep 15, 2010
    I do exactly the same thing and have little green tabs everywhere.

18. DizzyMarkus

DizzyMarkus Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    scrap transfer tape here -- never had any issues :0)

Markus

19. tiredcreations

tiredcreations Member

Dec 3, 2008
    IL
    painters tape

20. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Another +1 on Velcro. Get a roll of the 3/4" double sided type on eBay. Cut it to the length you need, about 18 inches or so.