• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Taping Vinyl Rolls Not In-Use (and other media)

Bly

We just get a 12" strip of scrap vinyl and wrap that around the middle, fastening it with masking tape.
Gives you a place to grab it so you don't get fingerprints on the vinyl.
Low tech but works for us.

ProWraps

it wastes like 10 inches of vinyl. 10 inches that you are going to muddy up with your hands, dust, etc.

let it go. use premask cut down to 1-2" rolls, use blue tape, use duct tape, or hell glue it together.

thats wasted material anyways. get a latex printer. after each print it spits out that much that is wasted from heat damage on every print. waste is a part of this life.

Jim Doggett

Our current system is to tape (masking tape) rolls of vinyl while not in-use so they don't unravel. We store our vinyl vertical, as our boss doesn't want to buy or build a rack to hang them horizontally. I realize that if we DID store them horizontally, gravity would keep the leading edge down and not unravel, but I cannot do that. Here is the problem:

When I tape the vinyl at the top and bottom, sometimes I may not use that media for a week or longer (sometimes a month or more). By that time, the masking tape has left its adhesive residue which makes the first 2 feet or so unusable, because when ink prints to it, there are defective spots from said residue.

Do you have an alternative method to keeping rolls of media from unraveling while being stored vertically? Maybe at least a cleaner tape?

These are the bomb: http://www.signwarehouse.com/p-HT-YT-SPEEDCLIP-10.html

They won't pucker the vinyl like rubber bands, nor waste tape and leave residue behind like taping, but best of all they're fast -- on and off. Consider how many times you swap rolls every day, and then measure the time savings of a few seconds (tape or rubberbands) versus a fraction of a second to pop a SpeedClip on or off, which keeps rolls tidy and won't scratch or pinch the vinyl. And they last for many years.