• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tariffs

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I was just reading an article about Trump's tariffs and I need some help understanding the logic people have in saying that China pays for these tariffs.

Are there any Trump supporters who would like to enlighten me as to exactly how Americans are not paying these tariffs?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I was just reading an article about Trump's tariffs and I need some help understanding the logic people have in saying that China pays for these tariffs.

Are there any Trump supporters who would like to enlighten me as to exactly how Americans are not paying these tariffs?

We are paying for the Tarrifs... End of story.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I just want to hear from these people, they must exist, you know the ones that buy the chit he sells?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe you'll find those kinda people on a forum like this. This place is about signs........................ and what the toadster is thinking.

Oops, that's right, he can't see what I write. Sorry............:awesome:

ProPDF

Some of the ways China pays for the tariffs is through currency manipulation via devaluation, meaning they let you buy more from the factories with your dollar to offset your countries cost. Part of what some people don't realize is the trade barriers setup by countries outside of the US via tariffs and vat taxes are fairly high.... to keep other countries blocked from doing business. When you really start to see what it cost to send a John Deere or a Ford vehicle outside the US it might make more sense to people just how bad the US has been getting screwed. The import tax to import a vehicle into China is around %50-%200. Europe isn't all that better either.....you are paying %18-%30 + if you want to sell over there. You have to be careful of the news media also cause they wordsmith the tariff numbers to make it sound horrible. For example a line of goods may have a %15 tariff on it already and the US adds a %10 tariff on top of that and the news will say "the tariff will be %25" insinuating it went from %0-%25. In the end the little %10 tariff will be eaten up starting with China and their currency which will take the brunt of it if not all of it. If they devalue their currency %10 the tariff doesn't have an effect on the US and the US buyers won't pay for it.

I think the ending of the postal subsidies will cause more problems then the tariffs for China. The mail game was a killer to a lot of online sellers. A lot of people don't know but these shipping companies outside of USPS created shipping programs out of China to make packages look like they were shipped from the US. 800contacts does this for example, watch their ground shipping online. DHL for example will fly planes from China to the US and dump packages at local USPS hubs and when the package gets scanned out of China online it will say arrived at USPS sorting facility and they are shipping dirt cheap.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I think the ending of the postal subsidies will cause more problems then the tariffs for China. The mail game was a killer to a lot of online sellers. A lot of people don't know but these shipping companies outside of USPS created shipping programs out of China to make packages look like they were shipped from the US. 800contacts does this for example, watch their ground shipping online. DHL for example will fly planes from China to the US and dump packages at local USPS hubs and when the package gets scanned out of China online it will say arrived at USPS sorting facility and they are shipping dirt cheap.

Yup! It's called an ePacket. They could sell an item cheaper then what I could ship it for. Killed us on selling small stuff but in return I got MY stuff cheaper so I duno if it worked out in the end or not.

Andy D

You know tarrifs are AKA "a fair playing field tax", and they help fund useless liberal programs, right? It's probably the 1st tax the "tax and spend" liberals hate, & it's only because Trump enacted it.

Andy D

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I might be, I'm not especially savvy about national accounting; in the Tax Foundation link Toad posted,
the screen capture from below shows .55% of one percent, not 55%, correct?
So we collected $170 billion in tariffs, forced China to reduce many of their tarrifs & it had next to
no adverse effect on our economy, and might create US jobs in the future? If so, that seems like win, win, win
for us...

upload_2020-1-10_12-48-0.png

Christian @ 2CT Media

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I might be, I'm not especially savvy about national accounting; in the Tax Foundation link Toad posted,
So we collected $170 billion in tariffs, forced China to reduce many of their tarrifs & it had next to
no adverse effect on our economy, and might create US jobs in the future? If so, that seems like win, win, win
for us...

View attachment 144846
Bingo! but .55% of our GDP is alot.

Andy D

Bingo! but .55% of our GDP is alot.
True, but that was just their projection, it seems that they were wrong, there has been an increase, and there has been US companies investing
into tech, creating good middle class jobs. Now with China repealing many of their tariffs and Trump repealing many of his, it should
be a nice increase.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Exactly.

That's the kinda stuff the liberals will throw on you. Hoping you will overlook it or just glaze over it all. They just throw so much stuff at the fan hoping something will eventually stick, but generally, it doesn't. See, when someone like the toad just glosses over something he was given to read on any given subject, they don't know or understand the content, but are always willing to copy and paste this stuff for the world to see. For the world to see how incompetent they really are.

Ya know, if we don't get things done in a hurry, it won't really matter all that much, cause I think we only have about 10 years until the world blows up, according to them. :banghead:

Last edited:

dypinc

Exactly.

That's the kinda stuff the liberals will throw on you. Hoping you will overlook it or just glaze over it all. They just throw so much stuff at the fan hoping something will eventually stick, but generally, it doesn't. See, when someone like the toad just glosses over something he was given to read on any given subject, they don't know or understand the content, but are always willing to copy and paste this stuff for the world to see. For the world to see how incompetent they really are.

Ya know, if we don't get things done in a hurry, it won't really matter all that much, cause I think we only have about 10 years until the world blows up, according to them. :banghead:

And they can't even figure it out that throwing so much mud has caused them to loose ground.

TimToad

for us...

View attachment 144846

The question was and is tariffs "collected" from whom?

Yeah, what's a LOSS of $136 BILLION in GDP among friends? And an ADDED $170 BILLION in costs passed onto consumers. No math major here, but that would appear to be a $306 BILLION double whammy being forced upon U.S. businesses and consumers.

Peanuts. That kind of chump change didn't impact any workers, their jobs, etc.

Andy D

The question was and is tariffs "collected" from whom?

Yeah, what's a LOSS of $136 BILLION in GDP among friends? And an ADDED $170 BILLION in costs passed onto consumers. No math major here, but that would appear to be a $306 BILLION double whammy being forced upon U.S. businesses and consumers.

Peanuts. That kind of chump change didn't impact any workers, their jobs, etc.

That was their projection, and it seems they were wrong.

upload_2020-1-10_15-57-34.png

Last edited: