• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tariffs

HulkSmash

Sure, why not? It's not one of your family members who got blown out of the sky. Do you have any idea how big Tehran is? It is one of the biggest cities on earth. You'd have to flatten it and kill MILLIONS of people to take out all of their weapons.

You've got to be kidding on that old wive's tale about hiding weapons systems in mosques and shrines. FFS, these people have ICBM's, huge missile arrays, hundreds of tanks, jet fighters, etc.. You can't hide the kind of weaponry capable going beyond their borders in a mosque. Use your head and some common sense dude.

The sanctions were working, the deal was working. They were provoked and now a plane full of people are dead.

I think you have Iran confused with some other country. They have one of the biggest armed forces on earth, open armaments in plain view, bases, forts, all manner of modern weaponry. Thanks to Drumpf's walking away from a nuclear agreement that we AND most of our allies worked years on securing and they were abiding by, they have ramped up their nuclear program again and will have revenge on their minds until it is exacted.

Pretty smart? Somehow I don't think pissing off most of the region including the Saudis, Russians, Chinese, etc. and our allies as well as putting the final nail in the coffin of diplomacy with this soon to be nuclear power is all that smart.

You're FAcebook friends with Nancy Pelosi Aren't you

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You're aware that Drumpf is his real family name?
And the point of using his family name that was changed before he was born is what? Because John Oliver thought it sounded funny in 2016? I don't recall anyone referring to Bill Clinton as William Jefferson Blythe III.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

ams

Nearly all countries manipulate their money supply as well as prop up certain industries to gain strategic advantages.

Remind us of which of the two political parties championed global trade back in 80's and pressured Clinton into signing NAFTA as well as push other forms of globalization?

You started a political thread which is going to turn ugly.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
And the point of using his family name that was changed before he was born is what? Because John Oliver thought it sounded funny in 2016? I don't recall anyone referring to Bill Clinton as William Jefferson Blythe III.

Tim thinks he's cute when he calls Trump that. He's upset that Bauman isnt as popular.

Last edited:

David Wright

A guy with the name Toad making fun of other people names? At least I assume that's his real name.

By the way, tariffs have been part of American tradition, especially since Lincoln. Only recently the libertarian virus of the last few decades has infected our country.

Jeremiah

I can blame no person , political party or regulation for the success or failure of my business. I am the one person who must adapt when anything changes. But that's just the way I was taught by my grandfather , father and the way I will teach my child .

Mosh

I think there is a lot of "prices are up because of the tariffs" bullcrap going on. A scapegoat for a price hike.

dypinc

I can blame no person , political party or regulation for the success or failure of my business. I am the one person who must adapt when anything changes. But that's just the way I was taught by my grandfather , father and the way I will teach my child .

Wow must be how man has survived global cooling and then global warming for the last 5000 years or more. But the leftest don't understand the meaning of adapt amongst all the other things that can't understand. Good news is the climate will always be changing and the leftest can't adapt and they say they won't be here in another 12 years. Good riddance!

ikarasu

It always cracks me up how these threads turn out to be.

Remember in high school when they taught you guys how to have debates? It's health to see the pros and cons of every situation. These days 90% of people have a thought and refuse to change their mind... Every thread is either Trump is a god who can do no wrong, or Trump is evil and can do no right.... you guys never seem to have a middle ground.

I've never seen America so divided in politics. This whole Administration needs to go, Democrats and replublicans, and you guys need a fresh start! Next term no matter who wins is going to be a big shitshow.

Johnny Best

It always cracks me up how these threads turn out to be.

Remember in high school when they taught you guys how to have debates? It's health to see the pros and cons of every situation. These days 90% of people have a thought and refuse to change their mind... Every thread is either Trump is a god who can do no wrong, or Trump is evil and can do no right.... you guys never seem to have a middle ground.

I've never seen America so divided in politics. This whole Administration needs to go, Democrats and replublicans, and you guys need a fresh start! Next term no matter who wins is going to be a big shitshow.

Well you left off the Canadians on these threads with their infinite wisdom on Americans and their politics.
Like you guys don't have a goofy leader who likes to dress up his family when in India like they are the Beatles with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and lets not forget his blackface dress up! Talk about a weird dude at the shi!show.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wasn't there a guy named Ford, who was in a little bit of trouble ??

Like mentioned, it's not nice to turn on your neighbor(s) or friends(s) to get a dig in. We all have dirty laundry and no room to be pointing fingers.

ikarasu

I couldn't agree more.

Thats why when Trump declared Canada a national security threat so he could add Tarrifs without going through the proper channels, A lot of Canadians felt like it was a huge slap in the face - from that moment on, it seems 90% of canadians have held a grudge against Trump. Canadians are just like americans... We're pretty patriotic, so when our closest neighbors, who we pretty much go to every single war with, even when we have no stake in it, said We're a national security threat because of our lumber and aluminum... it's hard to just forget, or not take offence to it.

Don't get me wrong, as by my previous post I'm all for tariffs - and I do believe there are some things that are lopsided between USA / Canada trade - For instance...anything over $25 coming into Canada gets duties...while it's $400 USD coming from Canada to america...so most people don't ship products from the USA to Canada. It's lopsided... but thats why Trump is re-negotiating NAFTA, which is the proper way to handle trade with alies... treaties. And if they cant come to an agreement, cancel Nafta and make it an equal playing field.

But... back to my original post, It wasn't a dig at America or Americans. Canada has its own issues... but, I voted for Trudeau the first time - Then the SNC Lavalin scandal came out... 10ish pictures of him dressing as blackface for parties came out, There was quite a lot of stuff he's done that I don't agree with... and I'm not afraid to say it. I think he's better than the opposition, BUT I don't think he's perfect.

My point wasn't that Canada is better, or America is bad... It's that the current political system in USA is broken, and getting worst. If a republican goes against trump... He gets finger pointed at and shamed on twitter, it's a career suicide... So everyone tows the party line. I'm not just digging on Republicans, It's the same with the Democrats - Theres so much bickering on each side, that people feel the need to defend on both sides. A simple thread (Albeit one that was a bait thread) On whos paying for Tarrifs turned into another democrat vs republican debate - Democrats feel republicans are ruining the country, and republicans feel democrats are.

During the impeachment hearing, 2 Democrats voted no, and 1 voted undecided - People were calling for their heads, demanding they get voted out of office because they didn't vote yes. I haven't been following the senate much...so maybe it's not as bad there, but at least in the house it's you either vote for your party whether you agree or not... Or risk losing your spot. I don't think thats how the founding forefathers envisioned the country.

There was a thread on reddit awhile ago, where thousands of people were calling for a civil war, saying it was better than letting trump stay in office. I know it's mostly idiots, maybe the younger generation who don't understand what a civil war would really mean - and maybe it's just a vocal minority, but it just shows some people... just cant be reasoned with, they believe what they believe and they're willing to go through hell to get their way.

yes, I'm not american - and no, I doubt I know as much about politics in your country as you guys do. Maybe it's always been this way, and Maybe trump being in office has just shined a light on how divided politics are....He said he was going to drain the swamp, and maybe this is the swamp. That may be the case, but optics from outside of the Country... things seem broken. Democrats will blame it on Trump... and republicans blame it on Schiff/Pelosi. It's like there is an invisible line the partys dare not cross - Democrats and republicans should be working together for the Country.

And I'm not sure how news is over there - But over in canada 99% of our news is about how trump is a bumbling idiot, who can't do a thing right. Our news is just as skewed as yours - So you will likely get a lot of Canadians commenting on how trump is bad, acting like they know everything about USA politics because they see it in the news everyday - I can't remember the last time the news has mentioned one thing Trump has done that was good over here. Thats why I think the system is broken... It should be impartial.

And... Ford was a Mayor, he was also an idiot. Canada has its fair share of idiots. Considering we're 10% of the population that you guys are, I'd say we have more idiots than you guys running our country.

And again... None of this is a dig at you guys, or your system. Simply an outsiders point of view, Americas economy isn't bad, so obviously it's not all doom and gloom like I make it sound, but imagine how much further you guys could go if the parties worked together instead of against eachother. And again... not pointing fingers at the democrats or at the republicans, or even at trump. It seems every election the parties get divided more and more... Or at least with the invention of the internet and how wide and free information is now, it could just be more people are seeing how divided it is.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, that was nice.

Politics has taken over peoples' minds and actions completely. It's black & white. No grey visible at all. Trump is labeled lotsa different ways and your news, along with ours and much of the world's paints him that way, purposely. Yes, he is trying to fix things, but when you have biased outsiders, not you but the resat of the world twisting words and only reporting on half sentences, it will look however they want it...... bad.

Problem is, politics have really been in shambles since about the mid 1800's. Only difference is/was..... news took from days, weeks to months to spread and most things or people got away with a lotta sh!t. Also, activites, traditions and habits were totally different back then, to now. In addition, laws on personal to business views were much different than today. Values were very different. There were other problems back then, compared to now. But now, if a person fa@rts in China, we hear about it 4 seconds later. News travels fast and with all these cyber monkeys out there, ya just never know what's true or not. Therefore, most people pick a side and stick to it. I listen to both sides of the news and stuff and try to figure things out for myself with my wife. I have friends totally on the other side of the fence and we cannot talk politics. Some relatives are like that, too.

When I was in grade school to about college, the rule seemed to be to keep your politics to yourself and do what and how you see fit with your vote. Now, everyone is trying to strongarm ya into what THEY want and label you if you don't agree.

The system is broken, but people can totally function with a broken arm or leg. Seems we have more of a broken back and the problems are just trickling out to all over. We're in traction for the last 30 years but something or someone will brings us all back together again, but civil war isn't anything anyone seriously contemplates. Only the way-y-y-y-y out there ones do.

Andy D

Thats why when Trump declared Canada a national security threat so he could add Tarrifs without going through the proper channels, A lot of Canadians felt like it was a huge slap in the face - from that moment on, it seems 90% of canadians have held a grudge against Trump. Canadians are just like americans

While I like and agree with the majority of Trump's initiatives, I, and (I believe) most Trump supporters would agree that Trump needs to STFU and stay off Twitter!
You are right, Canada has been our most loyal ally, but Trump couldn't have imposed the tariffs unilaterally, without declaring Canada a national security threat, correct?

ikarasu

The majority of people are sheep. If they read one thing...they take it as true. Or if their friends say something, they want to be a part of the group so they go along with it.

Most of the civil war stuff started with the media - There's been a few polls out saying 40% of people believe a civil war is going to happen soon... and because the news said it, it must be true, so people jump on the bandwagon saying it should happen.

I agree though, politics should be kept personal. There's a reason voting is in private booths. I think more people should get out and vote to. People should do their own research and decide who to vote for, the news and everyones opinion is usually skewed and biased. But it seems every generation gets lazier and lazier and vote turnout keeps lowering.
While I like and agree with the majority of Trump's initiatives, I, and (I believe) most Trump supporters would agree that Trump needs to STFU and stay off Twitter!
You are right, Canada has been our most loyal ally, but Trump couldn't have imposed the tariffs unilaterally, without declaring Canada a national security threat, correct?
I believe so - but that raises another point. There are laws and procedures in place for a reason - He should have went through the proper channels, instead he didn't - What he did was illegal, and to top it off...part of his new trade deal has a condition, he'll get rid of the tarrifs and sign the deal IF canada drops its WTO complaint about how what he did was illegal, so USA doesn't get a huge fine.

To be fair, Trump isn't the first president to put tarrifs on our softwood lumber. A lot of past us presidents have put it on... then we sued because its against NAFTA rules... and won, and USA had to pony up a pretty penny. Theres a big history lesson about it on wikipedia -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada–United_States_softwood_lumber_dispute#Lumber_III

I think trump should have re-negotiated it in his new nafta, rather than declare us a national security threat so he could get his way. A key part of politics, is... politics. You don't alienate allies when you know in a year or so you're going to re-negotiate the whole deal anyways. even if our lumber trade was really unfair, it's been happening for 25 years...waiting one more and dealing with it properly would have been the best outcome, for both countries.

I think he says stupid stuff on twitter sometimes - I personally like the use of twitter and other social medias to reach your followers. If he didn't have an outlet... people would get all their news from Fox/CNN, and in the current state... that's worst than directly from him. I think his twitter use just seems really bad because he has no filter - I'm sure all the previous admins thought or said stuff just as crazy / dumb, but they had an adviser tell them to take a step back. Imagine how stressful your job is - Then imagine you're the leader of the most powerful nation, every single thing you do is being analyzed by the whole country, and villified by every media outlet - You're in charge of 400 million people, the stress would cause anyone to do or say stupid stuff.

you can dig into anyones twitter history and find stuff they said that they regret... Trump's twitter use is no different. I don't think he needs to change his twitter use and shut up, I think people need to not read a 140 char tweet and decide trumps racist, or going off the hinges because of something he says in the heat of the moment... We're all just humans and say shit we regret under stressful situations.

Andy D

I believe so - but that raises another point. There are laws and procedures in place for a reason - He should have went through the proper channels, instead he didn't - What he did was illegal, and to top it off...part of his new trade deal has a condition, he'll get rid of the tarrifs and sign the deal IF canada drops its WTO complaint about how what he did was illegal, so USA doesn't get a huge fine.
Congress would have blocked any and all tariffs. If the Congress supported him, he probably would have gone that route.
What he did was wrong? Perhaps, but I don't believe it can be called illegal.