• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tasmanian Devil

Thank you very much to all the mommy and daddy's that pointed out the obvious to me, that the logo is copyrighted. I never ask for the exact version, nor did I say that I wasn't to edit the file once I got it. If everybody followed all the rules I guess the world would be a better place though wouldn't it... To whom ever said that it was grumpy Friday you hit the nail on the head.

DizzyMarkus

I wonder if that was the fact or maybe it was the way you went about asking for it :0) Either way have a Great Easter :thumb:

Markus

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
You won't find the file for download like that. In order for an entity to use a companies art work for commercial profitability you will need to contact the owning company/person/institution and find out what their reproduction rights cost for their intellectual property. That being said ... yeah ... going to be a hard one considering you'll only find the art from warner brothers that is legal.

Fan art is different, it falls under certain parody and not for profit whatever if you as an individual draw/sketch/paint/sculpt taz ... but if you try to make money off of your art of their original creation as a commercial entity ... not kosher in copyright eyes.

Deaton Design

Although sometimes some of these guys tell you in a way that may seem rough, they are telling you right. Although alot of people have used taz many times for projects, the art is copyrighted and has all the perks of being copyrighted. Even if you change it up some, still doesnt matter. A character such as taz will shine through and get you in trouble, even if you use it just for decals. Warner Bros. and Disney, Harley and others have become very protective of their characters and wouldnt even blink about suing you or me or anyone else for unauthorized use.

Thank you Tyrant and Deaton for taking the time to tell me in a respectful way the legal issues of the matter. I have one question, this work actually wasn't for profit...I was giving these decals to someone. Not hypothetically speaking, this was actually the case. So does that make it okay? Or is it still a no no?

qmr55

Thank you Tyrant and Deaton for taking the time to tell me in a respectful way the legal issues of the matter. I have one question, this work actually wasn't for profit...I was giving these decals to someone. Not hypothetically speaking, this was actually the case. So does that make it okay? Or is it still a no no?

Simply, no. The artwork is copyrighted for a reason. The own needs to give permission for it to be copied. I.E the term copyrighted. You can not legally copy it whether it be for financial gain or not. Your best bet would be contact Warner brothers and explain and see if you can get permission. Trust me, they don't take lightly to these type of things and will come at you with force. They're a lot bigger than you remember!

Joe Diaz

I think it helps to look at it this way. Even if you aren't making money off of it, it's not your art to give away. Also by giving away someone else's art for free, you take away a potential sale of theirs. Perhaps WB sells taz decals.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thank you very much to all the mommy and daddy's that pointed out the obvious to me, that the logo is copyrighted. I never ask for the exact version, nor did I say that I wasn't to edit the file once I got it. If everybody followed all the rules I guess the world would be a better place though wouldn't it... To whom ever said that it was grumpy Friday you hit the nail on the head.

There are a few things you may want to consider as it relates to this thread and copyrights.

1. Many members of Signs 101 recognize that they benefit from the protections offered by intellectual property laws. Most of us would get quite upset to see art we created being produced by someone else for their own profit or other purposes without our consent. So, despite their size and wealth, we recognize that Warner Brothers has every right to control and profit from their creations.
  2. There is no amount of change you can perform that will change the fact that you do not have any right to use the WB Tasmanian Devil to produce work, for profit or not, without their permission ... which they are highly unlikely to give. Your work would be a derivative of their creation and would not be legal.
  3. Expect that WB would crush you like a bug should they become aware of your infringement of their rights. What many do not realize is that it isn't just about being deprived of some income. The intellectual property laws in the U.S. and elsewhere require that any IP owner who becomes aware of any infringement must act to end the infringement within one year or risk losing their rights to the public domain. And your friend/customer will want to prominently display his Taz for all to see making it a high risk of being seen and WB becoming aware of it.
In the time we've been around, many of our members have seen threads such as yours. So don't hold against them for responding as they did. It was predictable from the moment you submitted it.

Salmoneye

We had a client in a small shop that had a rubber stamp made with Bart Simpson on it. This was long before the internet. The character had a caption that said "Pay your bill Dude!" that was stamped on bills that were more than 30 days past due. I have no idea how Hollywood ran across this but they actually got a cease and desist from an attorney. lol

Farmboy

Shop down the road from us got in trouble a few years back for printing Yankees on some shirts. Not sure how they were found out, but I would suspect the shirts were worn to a game and someone may have simply asked where they had them made. You never know. I'll admit to having made things I shouldn't, but not so much anymore. Not worth the potential hassle.

fmg

I am just curious.
If a tattoo artist tattoo's a TD on someone's arm who violates the copyright issues there? The Tat artists or the customer.

Joe Diaz

. I'll admit to having made things I shouldn't, but not so much anymore. Not worth the potential hassle.
Yeah I'm sure its definitely something a lot of shops have done as well, but the longer they are in the business, and the more they learn about the risks involved, you can bet they put an end to it.

I think that is where the OP here is very lucky to have joined this forum and to have started this thread. Even though some of the answers were a bit sarcastic or rough around the edges, it's still sound advice. Think of it as tough love. At least they are taking the time to tell the OP it is wrong. He or she would be wise to learn from the combined knowledge on this subject. At least the OP won't now have to find out the hard way.