• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Techniques for Cleaning Digital Prints Prior to Laminating?

MarkH42

We have been laminating digital prints for an interior retail store display. In the past, we would wipe down the substrate with alcohol prior to installing the digital print to the substrate via a laminator, then use a Swiffer Duster on the digital print just before running it through the laminator to install the laminate. On outdoor prints, this has always worked fine. But for these interior displays, they are going to be seen from a closer distance and, although they look great for the most part, you can see where very small particles are under the laminate in a few areas. I don't think the customer will have an issue with it, but I need to explore a technique for cleaning these digital prints prior to laminating that has the highest chance of eliminating all foreign particles. Does anyone have a special product and/or technique they use for cleaning digital prints prior to laminating? Thanks for your advice!

petepaz

keep an air hose close by or a can of air and blow them off just before laminating. it's tough to get 100% of the particles but that does a pretty good job.

Baz

For me, interior display signs should always be a little more expensive. They require allot more attention. I just wipe them with a dust cloth (like Swiffer), two, three and even four times over.

xxaxx

Try out a tack cloth (painting section in any hardware store). I run it over the surface of the print as its going through the laminator ... works great at getting rid of particles and doesn't leave behind any of its own.

jokingscroll

We use those rubber rollers that pick up all the little micro stuff works good but they are like 200. I wouldn't use air it kicks stuff up and it will settle eventually.

MikePro

i use white lint-free gloves, the cheap throw-away kind.
and then I wax-on/wax-off as the laminator runs, moving hands from center-outward to help keep the print flat/square and I get 99.9% of the dust/particles out.
...if there's a fingerprint, or some tape adhesive that needs attention, then I'll give my glove a light spray of 50% isopropyl/water and buff it out while I've slowed-down the speed of the laminator.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i use a roll of paper towels, i don't take the towels off, just use the whole roll and wipe the print as it's going into the laminator. i always laminate the print before mounting to the substrate.

MarkH42

All great suggestions. As with a lot of things I learn on this forum, there are definitely different ways to get the same results. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Salmoneye

Be careful what is used to make that 'tack' cloth tacky, there are lots of different options, some I would not want to contact my print. We use one of those California Car Duster things, almost like a hand held dust mop.

jmcnicoll

I would always laminate first, then mount the print. Prefer to just use air hose, but it will depend on your working environment.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Try out a tack cloth (painting section in any hardware store). I run it over the surface of the print as its going through the laminator ... works great at getting rid of particles and doesn't leave behind any of its own.

That's what we do. But be careful about changing out the tack cloth regularly. If you don't, it will deposit a bunch of dirt/dust that it has accumulated - usually in the most inconvenient place on the print...