• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

teflon strips - why do they cost so much

gabagoo

How is it that a teflon strip that is 53" x 1/4" can cost $40.00? That makes it the most incredibly expensive vinyl strip ever!!! Is it just that they can charge that amount or is the stuff truly that expensive to make? I wonder if there is another source for purchasing the stuff?

Graphics2u

Didn't you hear about the great teflon shortage of 2008???? :Big Laugh

Seriously though it's probably because they are not a high volume item and where else are you going to get them?

Many years ago my father-in-law sold industrial cleaning equipment and supplies. He had to order a float for a automatic carpet cleaning machine. this part was nothing more than a white pint plastic bottle about 1/3 full of sand with a screw on lid that had a bead chain attached to it. if there was over 27 cents in material cost i'd be surprised. That thing cost over $70! When the manufacturer was questioned about the extremely ridiculous price, they said we rarely ever sell that part so we have to make it worth keeping in stock! :banghead: We made one instead for a buck and a half!

jscarl

Check out dehydrater dealers or sales. They use sheets between foods. We used them for years on top of prints, between layers to stop bleading, several things. Cost was less.

jscarl

Just remembered, someone on the board mentioned that you can use the coated paper off of vinyl. Placing the coated side over the material. The teflon for cutting can be bought on a roll if you check it out. Don't remember where.

RebeckaR

When I order the teflon strips for my plotters, I order the strip for a 54" and cut it to fit my 24 and 30" machines. It's about half the cost of buying two that are cut to size and it's the same thing.

sardocs

We have been putting strips of sandblast stencil on our Ioline studio8 for more than a decade and it only needs changing about once a year. The cuts are all accurate, it doesn't seem to matter which brand of mask we use, just cut a strip and stick it on.

S

Sign-Man Signs

We have been putting strips of sandblast stencil on our Ioline studio8 for more than a decade and it only needs changing about once a year. The cuts are all accurate, it doesn't seem to matter which brand of mask we use, just cut a strip and stick it on.

Like I said. I learn something new here every day. Thanks for the tip.

:U Rock:

Pat Whatley

It costs that much because where else are you going to buy it?

Si Allen taught me the same thing about painting rough brick walls and installing Gemini letters 30' up. I started doubling my prices and people kept paying it because who else were they going to get to do it?