• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

temorary wrap on powder coated metal?

petepaz

quoting a job to wrap some powder coated tables/displays but they are rental units so they want a material that could be removed. looking at 3M wrap materials and i know you can remove them pretty clean but i am concerned if it will stick ok on the powder coat. any ideas?

heyskull

I would wrap with the 3M material as it comes of clean.
As I say wrapping anything, "it is only as good as the surface you are applying it to".
If the materials are flaky it will not work.

On a sub note even if these are a temporary wrap they should be priced the same as normal.

I had a customer of mine wanting me to temporary wrap a racing Bentley for the weekend!
Yes it's true he has about 5 or 6 Bentleys.
And this was all because of trying to get back and play a trick on some of his racing buddies!
He wanted the race car to look like his standard road car.
But being a guy with plenty money he could not get it in his head that this was still a wrap and for it to look authentic still cost the same as a standard colour change wrap!
Even if it was just going to be a bit of a joke for the weekend!!

S'N'S

quoting a job to wrap some powder coated tables/displays but they are rental units so they want a material that could be removed. looking at 3M wrap materials and i know you can remove them pretty clean but i am concerned if it will stick ok on the powder coat. any ideas?

All the safety signs I do are powder coated aluminium and the vinyl sticks real good (I use Avery 700 on signs) as long as the surface is clean and the coating hasn't gone powdery from old age.

Desert_Signs

It really depends on what kind of powder coat you're talking about.

There's smooth paint-like powdercoat that vinyl usually sticks to. Then there's textured powdercoat. The textured stuff is a bear to get anything to stick to it. You really have to use an Arlon 8000 or 3m IJ39.

jmb474

I apply 3m 7125 series cut vinyl to 100's of powder coated pieces of aluminum panels a year and never have had a single issue. Have a some that have been out there for 5 years now in the desert sun and they still pretty much look the same as the day i laid them.