Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Template outlines won't print - Illustrator

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by Border, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Border

Border Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    In the past I've no problems with this so I don't know what I did different to this file but I am trying to print out a proof for the customer but all the hair lines (body outlines) of the vehicle template won't print, even though they show up in the print preview. Tried printing the file to a PDF and the outlines show up in the PDF file but also will not print to paper!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have tried to adjust all the printer setting to the best of my knowledge.:banghead:

Meeting with client in 2 hours and would prefer to not have to tell them to use their imagination to see the vehicle in the layout!

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. livoniasigns

livoniasigns Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Check the stroke width. I have that happen once in a while and the stroke was to thin.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  3. GK

GK Very Active Member

Apr 30, 2007
    NYC
    Double click the layer and make sure you have these settings.

Attached Files:

4. Border

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    I'm using CS2. When I double-click the layer, the only layer options are "show" and "lock". Maybe that changed with CS3?

This template is at 1/20 scale originally. I scaled it up 1000 percent to 50 percent of actual size and that seems to be when I lose the outlines. So I messed with stroke size and found that the outlines show again with a 2 pt stroke. Anything less and the lines only partially show. So I guess that is the "fix". In Signlab and Flexi both, the outlines print just fine, even after scaling up. Maybe there's a scale setting in Illustrator that addresses stroke widths or something to the affect that it's not scaling up all of the appearances?

Anyways, Thanks! At least I can get the proof to look right for the presentation now. :thankyou:

5. GK

GK Very Active Member

Apr 30, 2007
    NYC
    there is, in CS3 its under preferences, dunno bout CS2

Attached Files:

6. rdm01

rdm01 Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland Metro Area
    There is a setting that makes the stroke scale with the object. If that is not on, the stroke remains the same size no matter how you scale the object. Both ways have their uses, but in this case you would want it set to scale the stroke with the object so that they are not to thin to print.

7. rdm01

rdm01 Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland Metro Area
    GK beat me to it. :covereyes:

8. Border

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yup, that's it! Trouble is, I had it set that way, but not until AFTER I had scaled the template up..... So......Problem solved.

Thanks again!

:toasting:

9. blackicefx

blackicefx Active Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Quick question, where is that option in CS2? This has bothered me too.

Matthew
    BlackIceFX

10. Border

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    It's under: Edit/Preferences/General

Look at GK's example