• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Temporary window graphics - "COMING SOON" window wrap during new construction

VinylLab

Hey Everyone,

I have a customer that is about to build out a 4,000 square foot retail space in Seattle and need the windows covered with printed graphics to block the public's view during construction. It's all windows on three sides of the space, so I'm looking at 840 square feet of glass to cover. It will be the bottom 6.5' from ground level on all the windows. I can apply the graphics either from the inside or outside, but the owners don't want to use window cling from the outside because people might peel it off.

Have any of you done "Coming Soon" construction graphics like this before? What's the best material? I found a relatively cheap low-tack vinyl that I can install on the outside. It's important to leave none or very little adhesive when their construction crew takes down the vinyl in a few months. It doesn't need to be laminated, either, since it only needs to last a few months. I can install wet or dry.

Window cling would be a good option if I can find a wholesaler that prints reverse on clear cling material so I can install it from the inside of the windows.

I usually subscribe to Signs101 premium although my membership just lapsed. If any of you have done this before and know generally pricing, a PM would be great to inform me about the price I should be charging.

The final product should look something like the picture I've attached. I use a Roland XC-540, btw. Thanks.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5a2df4236ce6ba0a90977ff41be56064.jpg
    5a2df4236ce6ba0a90977ff41be56064.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,788

Pippin Decals

Just my own stupid opinion on this,, but if it were me , i would install on inside glass to prevent anyone from damaging it to get a peek, 2 layer install, Reverse image it. install black on first and then the white.. Just my thought and cheaper ?...

VinylLab

Full color

The owners want full color instead of just black and white, so I can't really do a reverse die-cut then apply white.

Pippin Decals

The owners want full color instead of just black and white, so I can't really do a reverse die-cut then apply white.

Oh ok. you said in your post "The final product should look something like the picture I've attached " .. which all but one section looks black and white or atleast 2 color ..

VinylLab

Any ideas on digital material?

Has anyone else had experience with these type of graphics? I'm open to suggestions on a cheap, low-tack digital media. Quality is not an issue since it only has to last 3 months. I've seen this type of graphics in malls before during new store build-outs.

Bly

The cheapest removable calendared vinyl you can buy.
Sure it might get picked off here & there but anything inside the glass will be 2 layers so more expensive.

Bill Modzel

I've had good luck with General Formulations Metro Mark. In my particular application is was on the windows for about 3 months facing south and pulled off easily with no adhesive left behind at all. I printed it with my HP 26500 latex printer. It has a nice satin finish also.

rjssigns

Cheap banner(s), pole pocket the top with hem tape, hang inside. Minimal install time, no panel registration issues, take down in seconds, no glue to clean etc...

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Low Tack Calendared Vinyl would be my choice. Just as a side note... I was asked to do the same type of project for a retail space opening in the city of Atlanta a year or so ago and had a rude awakening regarding the sign ordinance. The city would not allow more than 6 sq feet to be applied to the face of the windows, and we had to remove everything that was applied, mount the graphics to coro and display them on the inside of the windows. I later found out that this was part of a moratorium that the city had enacted on window graphics throughout the entire jurisdiction. When I pointed out to the more than helpful government worker that they could drive anywhere up and down one of the main thoroughfares, there were huge buildings under construction that had street level retail and many had full coverage of window graphics promoting the building and "coming soon", she had no response. For us in Atlanta, and I'm sure many others around the country, rules for small businesses are somehow viewed different than huge developers. I told the client, they could request a variance, but they felt that by the time they were able to get in front of the board, the effectiveness of the "Coming Soon" message would be minimal, so they paid for us to put them on the inside. I would take a minute to review the regs if I was you. Good Luck.

GoodPeopleFlags

I would go with any alternative to adhesive vinyl. Even the low-tack stuff is going to be a pain to remove. I like the paper or banners ideas.

d fleming

There is a phototex that is applied inside. No adhesive on removal. Static cling applied wet to interior would work also with as much white as your sample shows.

AaronSSsignsKC

We do this in Kansas City for a big construction company all the time and use a 12mil poster paper printed and installed second surface. We just install it with some killer red banner tape its fast cheap and hasn't gave us any issues yet and actually looks quite nice when installed right.

slopoke

Check out the Platinum LTR Clear low tack cling from Sonoma Graphics (in Tukwila). Print your graphics mirror image, then use a laminator and back that with a white or translucent vinyl. Apply dry. I do it all the time and it works fantastic.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I don't have any experience with digital adhesive-backed paper. Do you know of a low-teck paper product that would be easily removable in a few months?

Why would it need to be adhesive? Print on paper, tack it all with tape. It is short term, no? Seems to be a lot of over thinking for a simple temporary sign.

VinylLab

I was actually leaning towards the General Formulations vinyl. As for taping paper prints, my customer said absolutely no tape.

I was thinking of using a cheap banner material as well but not sure how I'd hang them in the windows and a pole pocket. These are 40-70" wide windows in metal frames. An extendable shower curtain rod? lol. The banners would be the preferable route since I can billboard print the banners. Just need a suggestion on hanging them...

Low Tack Calendared Vinyl would be my choice. Just as a side note... I was asked to do the same type of project for a retail space opening in the city of Atlanta a year or so ago and had a rude awakening regarding the sign ordinance. The city would not allow more than 6 sq feet to be applied to the face of the windows, and we had to remove everything that was applied, mount the graphics to coro and display them on the inside of the windows. I later found out that this was part of a moratorium that the city had enacted on window graphics throughout the entire jurisdiction. When I pointed out to the more than helpful government worker that they could drive anywhere up and down one of the main thoroughfares, there were huge buildings under construction that had street level retail and many had full coverage of window graphics promoting the building and "coming soon", she had no response. For us in Atlanta, and I'm sure many others around the country, rules for small businesses are somehow viewed different than huge developers. I told the client, they could request a variance, but they felt that by the time they were able to get in front of the board, the effectiveness of the "Coming Soon" message would be minimal, so they paid for us to put them on the inside. I would take a minute to review the regs if I was you. Good Luck.

That's really good advice, thanks. I'll make sure it's permissible in Seattle.

2B

if they are metal frames, apply grommets every 12" and then use a magnet with a "S" hook on each grommet. easy up / easy down.

exterior application vinyl is tried / true method.

you will need to check the local code regulations, as some locations view interior applied graphics the same as exterior applied graphics.

shoresigns

I would probably use removable wall film for this. Easy to apply and remove due to the 6mil thickness, especially if you're printing solvent.