• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Terminating forum membership

omgsideburns

This thread is great. I get people all the time asking me to delete their account off the forum I run.

I never understood why it needed to be deleted. Just stop coming back. The worst part is the people who delete their account always sign back up a few months later.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Damn. Spend a night with the husband instead of on here and... well damn.

First of all... what Fred said X10:

I will say that I am both concerned and disappointed in some of the attitudes and language cropping up at Signs 101 and in this thread. It is uncalled for and counter productive to the sites primary purposes.

I'd like it to stop.

I don't know what the heck's gotten into some of you... okay I'll be specific... zeth... there is absolutely no reason for what's gone on in this thread. None. No need for the sarcastic, border-line-oughta-be-yanked comments that add nothing... NOTHING... to the thread. All it does is hurt this board and the forum's reputation. Not to mention how it makes people look at you.

Maybe you don't care. It is just "online" anyway right? But I'll tell you... I've met a whole lot of people here in real life... and there's a whole lot more I want to. Sadly when I see sarcastic and distasteful comments such as those you've posted... it doesn't make me - and probably a few others - have any desire to see if you're really that big of a jerk behind the online personna or if you're a helluva guy in real life. Online and real life do bleed together.

If you had any respect whatsoever for the members on here, the admins or the board as a whole... you'd start thinking before you hit the submit button.

threeputt

It's sad that some of us can't distinguish between direct and hurtful.

I've seen comments criticizing work (that've been posted in the proper forum for such) that were simply forthright, constructive and to the point.

But the OP got his back up. Or mis-interpreted the critic's comments and took them personally.

Most people hear are not mean-spirited. There are some. And some lack a bit of tact, yes. Their phrasing suffers.

I've been around a while and I think I can say this. Society in general seems to be getting overly sensitive. Maybe some of this is due to the current "societal model" that proclaims every encounter you have....should make you feel good.

Rubbish!

iSign

It's sad that some of us can't distinguish between direct and hurtful...

...Most people hear are not mean-spirited. There are some. And some lack a bit of tact, yes. Their phrasing suffers.

...Society in general seems to be getting overly sensitive....

I can stand up and be counted here... I lack a bit of tact at times & I'm sure I have been perceived as hurtful (well, ok, I probably even intended to be perceived that way at times) ..but I can also claim to think I am not mean spirited...

...I can also admit that many of my posts over the years have been inappropriate in terms of mean spirited appearances, which as Fred and Stacey point out... does NO good whatsoever, AND harms the sites reputation..

..so, I guess i wanted to defend Zeth a bit, because he is no further out of line then he has seen so many of us become at times... and I always like to refer to "Lord of the flies" when these sort of topics arise, because there is a mob mentality that unfortunately is evident in human nature & often seems to be the path of least resistance, unless we are compelled to take the high road...

...so, I give Fred a lot of credit for allowing this forum to see such successful levels of growth over the years, built partly upon his light handed approach to enforcement... BUT, I also want to pay attention when he draws the line in the sand & notifies us that enough is enough... if we want to enjoy the freedoms from over zealous censorship, we have to police ourselves a little more. I realize that statement needs to be said TO me, before I have much right to say it to others... so I'm just saying that I will try to work on that, so I don't help Zeth and others get the wrong idea of acceptable behavior. (I thought one, well placed "grow a set" was ok... but it could have been left alone after that...

...and the CM comments are never appropriate, because besides being a voluntary contribution... many people contribute knowledge that is more valuable than money... and which brings the other CM's (and indirectly MM's) and their money to this site... so let's not dis the general members. (also, you will see ocassions where a general member may have paid dues for years running... as well as contributing a vast amount of knowledge... but if they let their subscription lapse... they don't need some FNG with a $50 investment (or a $7 one) talkin' smack about him

sarge

when i first started coming here i got crap from all kinds of people .. i tried to be respectful but then .. i was getting crap from all kinds of a$$hats .. babies can dish it but cant take it .. i dont blame some people who cut and run .. there are some hateful people here .. kinda reminds me of little geeks sittin on phone books .. then when you call them out they go cry to mommy and daddy and they have to send me little notes that say you made this guy scared .. and i think booooo hoooo .. and i had to promise to play nice in the playground .. it is funny how some people can get away with all kinds of crap and nothing happens .. but then i think it would be fun to have a mom and dads sh*t list and have it posted so we all know when someone steped out of line .. having said that .. why cant people get along and treat others with respect .. i have always respected people first .. then all bets are off

Bigdawg

Just Me
when i first started coming here i got crap from all kinds of people .. i tried to be respectful but then .. i was getting crap from all kinds of a$$hats .. babies can dish it but cant take it .. i dont blame some people who cut and run .. there are some hateful people here .. kinda reminds me of little geeks sittin on phone books .. then when you call them out they go cry to mommy and daddy and they have to send me little notes that say you made this guy scared .. and i think booooo hoooo .. and i had to promise to play nice in the playground .. it is funny how some people can get away with all kinds of crap and nothing happens .. but then i think it would be fun to have a mom and dads sh*t list and have it posted so we all know when someone steped out of line .. having said that .. why cant people get along and treat others with respect .. i have always respected people first .. then all bets are off

And I thank you for that, but never assume that nothing happens behind the scenes... any little notes from mommy and daddy to you were private just like the notes to others are.

Mommy and daddy aren't giving up their s!*t list because very few people stay on it long. Most learn.

jiarby

I register for forums and websites using "fake" email addresses that then forward to the "real" address that I actually check. If I start getting spam I can tell where it is coming from and then just go delete that forwarder. No one gets to know my REAL address, that's between my POP3 server and my Thinderbird.