• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Testing Graphtec FC5100 and Windows 7

choucove

Hello all,

Over the past week I've been doing some testing with Windows 7 RC x64 and some of our current software and equipment. While most all of our software and drivers are working fine so far, I have run into one thing that I was afraid of from the very beginning: our Graphtec FC5100-130 plotter.

I know that Graphtec has already taken a very firm position (and very stupid for their business) that they will not comply with 64-bit OS drivers. I won't even begin to go into the controversy over how they may be shooting themselves in their own foot with the move of technology these days. But anyways, I am just wondering if anyone has tried the 32-bit drivers for the Graphtec FC5100 in Vista/Windows 7.

If/when we look at upgrading the computers to Windows 7, we were wanting to upgrade them all at the same time so that everything is standardized. If need be, this may mean having the computer connected to the plotter running only 32-bit Windows just for compatibility sakes.

Are there any other ideas or tricks that anyone else has found for drivers? This is really the only problem that I have run into with testing Windows 7 so far, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Techman

While most all of our software and drivers are working fine so far,

Yes they may work. However they are all working in 32 bit mode.
ARe you sure your 32 bit driver will not work in win7 64?

choucove

Techman, thanks for that quick reply.

I'm sure that you are right. But nothing that I have is allowing me to install the printers.

There is no self-extracting nice setup utility to install any of these drivers of course, it's just a list of the driver files themselves. So you must run the Add Printer wizard. In Windows 7 this just basically asks for the file to install. When you select the correct folder for the drivers (the latest being listed in the W2k_XP directory of course) then there is an instant error message that the wizard could not add a new printer as there were no drivers to match the device. It finishes by saying, "Make sure your drivers support x64 operating systems."

Even in the device manager on the computer, it shows up with an Unkown Device listed (the FC5100) but when I go to update the drivers, it takes me through that exact same screen as before to select the desired driver file, and brings up the same error that no correct driver files were found for this hardware, and be sure it is designed for x64 operating system.

How do you plan on driving the Graphtec FC5100 plotter? If you are using their plug-in, called Cutting Master 2, then you are out of luck in 64-bit OS environments.

On the other hand, if you are looking to drive the cutter from a sign-making application, such as FlexiSIGN, SignLab, or similar, you would not have a problem, assuming that the application itself is running in a supported OS.

We have been testing Windows 7 since September 2008 with FlexiSIGN for example, and have experienced no issues driving Graphtec FC plotters interfaced on USB ports.

Bob

choucove

Bob,

Thank you for your help on this! Indeed, we are using FlexiExpert to cut with on this specific machine, but I'm not sure why I still wouldn't need some form of USB printer drivers to run the Graphtec cutter.

Is there another way to recognize the printer within Production Manager or Windows 7? I'm not really the Flexi professional as I'm not one of the designers, but if there's a way to get this working, any way at all, I would love to know!

FlexiSIGN 8.x uses it's own device driver, and does not rely on the Windows driver to communicate with the FC-series printers that support USB.

The configuration process is simple: Launch the Production Manager application, define a new device (Setup Menu > Add Setup). Next, select Vinyl Cutters > Graphtec > FC5100-xxx, then click Next. On the next screen, be sure that the interface is set to Graphtec USB, and then click the Finish button. That's it.

Bob

choucove

I must say that you are a miracle worker in my eyes, Bob. This has been the answer that I was looking for, thank you! I mentioned this process to the guy that normally runs the cutter and he said he does recall seeing how to set that up sort of. With your description though it should be no problem!

We will be trying to test this again soon to make sure that everything is working fine, and again thank you for your help.