• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Texans may not want to print today....

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Rolling power outages today and tomorrow. Probably not a good idea to be running printers and cutters when you don't know if they will shut down in the middle of a job.

Yall stay warm.

signage

rolling outage why? No enough electrical power? Solar will save us.....NOT! fire up those coal and oil generators!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
rolling outage why? No enough electrical power? Solar will save us.....NOT! fire up those coal and oil generators!

I'd take a 30 min outage every other decade if that means we don't burn coal anymore... seems like a pretty small tradeoff.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

This not the time, nor the place to be posting that crap. brian, like I said many times before....... you are a very little person with an even smaller mind.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Rolling blackouts were around long before these wind turbines. Power companies have also been moving away from coal for a long time and it's not due to regulations. It is expensive and creates a toxic ash that has to be dealt with. They can throw up these combined cycle turbines quickly and cheaply and run on natural gas or diesel depending on the fuel market. These are very efficient and from what I know they are quick to bring online.

Reveal1

In solidarity with the great state of Texas, we won't be printing today. (Well, really because that crap is headed our way and our employees live in the boonies)

Johnny Best

Maybe signage is Antman!
antman.jpg

Stacey K

I like making signs
I was thinking of you this morning while watching the news! I was hoping we would hear from you to make sure you are not buried in ice and snow yet! Stay safe down there!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They're calling for a major ice, freezing rain and sleet storm coming our way tonight into tomorrow. That could make me stay home. I can go through almost anything, but stopping is a different story, especially on an inch or two of ice. We'll see.

Stacey K

I like making signs
They're calling for a major ice, freezing rain and sleet storm coming our way tonight into tomorrow. That could make me stay home. I can go through almost anything, but stopping is a different story, especially on an inch or two of ice. We'll see.
Especially after seeing all the pile ups the last few days, staying home because of ice seems like a smart idea!

Yes, they're calling for a lot of ice in my area too. Start out freezing rain and turn to the other stuff throughout the day. Looks like it might get very treacherous around here.
Stay safe, folks. :u rock:

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Surprisingly here in NJ...its going to get warmer tomorrow and be just rain. Ill take that right now though its going to make everything a sloppy mess here.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Well? What's going on down there? Have you had to resort to the terracotta heater?
What about the rest of you? Not much happening by me in Wisconsin, 5 degrees and 1-2" of snow.

A couple people on my screen printing site are concerned for their ink as it's only 2 degrees and they have no heat.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 122

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well? What's going on down there? Have you had to resort to the terracotta heater?
What about the rest of you? Not much happening by me in Wisconsin, 5 degrees and 1-2" of snow.

A couple people on my screen printing site are concerned for their ink as it's only 2 degrees and they have no heat.
It's below 0 in Dallas. We are colder than Chicago. About half of the state is without power because our power plants are not winterized and they froze over. They said the outages would rotate but they are not. If they shut your power off...it stayed off. I was one of the lucky ones that have power and had it all night...but I also have the generator on standby. It's really sad... some people are freezing, pipes freeze over and now some are running out of gas. Both my brother and sister in law lost power and we helped them find the only hotel rooms left in Wichita Falls. If you are stuck in your home..its a tough decision to leave and risk driving on roads that are not plowed and risk below 0 temps.

20210215_143715.jpg
20210215_130855.jpg

Last edited:

Stacey K

I like making signs
It's below 0 in Dallas. We are colder than Chicago. About half of the state is without power because our power plants are not winterized and they froze over. They said the outages would rotate but they are not. If they shut your power off...it stayed off. I was one of the lucky ones that have power and had it all night...but I also have the generator on standby. It's really sad... some people are freezing, pipes freeze over and now some are running out of gas. Both my brother and sister in law lost power and we helped them find the only hotel rooms left.
Having no heat at zero is very dangerous. I did hear of a few people dying. That is so very sad and scary. I'm glad you have heat AND a backup generator! Stay warm and safe!

MJ-507

Master of my domain.

Nothing happening here in GA besides it being crazy cold (for down here - not for this transplanted Yankee) & some wet roads from the rain storms yesterday. The closed some schools due to fears of black ice but the road temps never dropped low enough to cause that.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Having no heat at zero is very dangerous. I did hear of a few people dying. That is so very sad and scary. I'm glad you have heat AND a backup generator! Stay warm and safe!
When I saw forecast last week I knew that could be dangerous so I spent 3 days trying to get a generator. Finally found one the day before the storm. My old generator was crap and wouldn't start if it was below 80 degrees.....