• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Texans may not want to print today....

TopFliteGraphics

Damn, 0 degrees. That's got to be close to a record in Dallas. When I lived in northwest Ft. Worth, I think the coldest it ever got was 14 degrees one Valentines Day. We also got 12 inches of snow at my shop out in Haslet that day. Stay safe & warm!

wildside

we are currently at -20 without the windchill. They are doing the black outs here too. My big question is.... when you kill the power for an hour to save energy, then turn it back on, those same people have to use 3 times more energy to try and warm everything back up. I also bet that power and gas companies will be showing record profits this quarter even though they are on the news talking about we are all in this together.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
1° here at the moment. Our power fortunately hasn't gone out but pretty much everyone else we know has been losing it for 8 hours or more at a time. They say it comes back on in short spurts but not long enough to heat anything back up or even cook a warm meal. We've been bringing hot meals to friends and family and making the rounds with the battery powered propane heater and at least warming one room up so they have at least one room they can be comfortable in. The temp in their houses is hovering around 40°.

I tried telling numerous people to turn their exterior spigots on to a slow drip before all of this started. Some did and are fine. Others didn't, saying it was OK because they wrapped them with towels. Their pipes froze. So I've also been going around thawing pipes.

I've seen a large number of drivers blowing through intersections where the lights were out and there was cross traffic waiting to go through, or starting to go through. They apparently don't understand that when the lights are out, everyone is supposed to come to a stop.

It's a bit of a mess, for sure.

Baz

Stay safe down there!
I could not imagine having to deal with the cold and not be equipped for it.
Like Johnny Best said ... Being cold is miserable ....

victor bogdanov

I'm in Houston, no power at my house or shop for 30+ hrs now. Getting a little worried about my 3 Roland being in freezing temp and no power :(

Getting a generator when this is over

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I know. We lost it for a few hours two nights ago and the temp inside dropped 15 degrees and it took most of the night and yesterday to bring it back up. The furnace is BARELY keeping up with the heat loss and it's continously running... like the a/c in the summertime.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Stay warm and safe down there, folks - we're hearing about your power outages on the radio here in Canada, sounds like it's a mess.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
9 degrees and close to a foot of new snow here at the south end of the mitten state. So far, the power has been stable. I have an artesian (flowing) water well and wood heat, so if the power does fail, we can live like the Amish for weeks. I can't run equipment, but I do find ways to remain productive in the shop.

JB

Stacey K

I like making signs
we are currently at -20 without the windchill. They are doing the black outs here too. My big question is.... when you kill the power for an hour to save energy, then turn it back on, those same people have to use 3 times more energy to try and warm everything back up. I also bet that power and gas companies will be showing record profits this quarter even though they are on the news talking about we are all in this together.
That's a good point. When it gets this cold, around zero or less we always kick the heat up a couple degrees and don't touch it. If you turn it down at night, like many of us normally do, it takes longer to heat up and at these temps it might not get warmed up again.

We had a little over 1/4" of ice and sleet last night but as the daylight came the temps went back up and now it's turning out to be a nice day. Rain has stopped and we're thawing out. Calling for more snow on Thursday. Right now its around 35º. Having a heatwave, a tropical heatwave.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When playing around with temperatures like some of you are saying, what happens is, when the drapes, rugs and other fabric types of things start getting cold, that's the hardest things to heat back up. For those of you, not used to this kinda cold, you need to learn how to section your house off. Close doors and keep them closed to rooms not at all needed. If you can turn some room vents to halfway, that will help warm ip more important rooms. Consolidate things and stop living in every room of your house. You need to direct your flow. It's kinda like being at work. You need to find fast and clear methods for getting the job done. It's not gonna last forever, but you need to keep pipes from freezing and air escaping. No sense heating up the outside.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I think our houses are built to handle heat. We have high ceilings and all the heat goes up there. Our house faces north and no windows on west side so we don't burn up in the summer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, ya need ceiling fans to push the hot air back down. I'll bet there's 20º difference. You'll sweat your b@lls off if you sit on a ladder at the top.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We are cold, but not as cold as it has been. about 22 this morning, might get up to 30 today!
We got dumped on with snow all day yesterday. it tapered off, no new snow over night but really started snowing again just before the morning commute. It was a slow one - but only saw one jerk. who doesn't know what a yield sign is. fortunately it didn't cause an accident.
We are supposed to get another storm thursday... I don't know if it came early, or there is more to come.

victor bogdanov

How worried should I be about my roland sg2s being without power for 36hrs soon? Temp in my shop is upper 30's.

Really hoping power is back on today and a regular cleaning gets them working

stxrmxn

Well? What's going on down there? Have you had to resort to the terracotta heater?
What about the rest of you? Not much happening by me in Wisconsin, 5 degrees and 1-2" of snow.

A couple people on my screen printing site are concerned for their ink as it's only 2 degrees and they have no heat.
I miss the snow :(