• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Text blocks in Illustrator

Marie

I have a document with a lot of small text that I need to edit. The text is still editable - but the lines are broken into small sections of text - instead of one connected text block. Is there anyway to join all the little sections of text back together? Thanks!

iSign

I have a document with a lot of small text that I need to edit. The text is still editable - but the lines are broken into small sections of text - instead of one connected text block. Is there anyway to join all the little sections of text back together? Thanks!

One way that happens is saving down from a newer version of Illustrator. If that is the case, you should re-open it in the newer version. If you must do your editing in an older version, maybe the text could be copied & pasted, saved in a word processing format, or emailed to yourself...

...if it never was in a newer version, than I'm not sure what other options exist... but I'd guess it was brought in from some other program, so I'd try to go back to wherever the typesetting was originally done.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Marie.. save the file as a pdf... open in reader... select text and copy back into Illy. SHould retain your formatting but will put extra line breaks in.. much easier to fix those then combine all those little lines of text.

Edited to Add: Share! That would be a real useful script!

iSign

Marie,
what is your solution (script)?
put it in this post for others to find in future searches

Marie

vectips.com/tricks/10-free-and-extremely-useful-illustrator-scripts/

That should get you there. This guy looks like he has a lot of useful stuff.

The script that I ran worked great, just had to adjust some kerning here and there. - M