• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thank you Cricket Plotter forums!

Pat Whatley

I don't know where to find it and I'm not about to go looking for it but EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. since Christmas I've gotten a walk-in or a phone call from some nice lady who got a Cricket plotter for Christmas and is going in the sign/monogram/sticker business but "nothing that would compete with a sign shop".

Apparently, and I keep hearing all this over and over, according to some Cricket forum:

- Sign shops are glad to give you their scraps of metal, coro, pvc so they don't have to pay for disposal.

-Sign shops have piles of cut offs from doing banners just rolled up collecting dust waiting on someone to come get them.

-Sign shops are glad to save their remnants of vinyl for you and will cut them down to 12" wide for you. Every one of these women uses the same word....REMNANTS.

-Sign shops sell 24" wide vinyl for $1 per foot and will split it into 12" wide strips for you.

It wouldn't annoy me so much except for the fact about half of them get frustrated with me or flat out pissed off because apparently I don't know what I'm talking about when I tell them I don't have remnant vinyl, banner material, or coro and my vinyl costs more than a buck.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure, but I don't think I've ever had a cricket person call me. Guess I'm lucky.

But I do have lotsa guinea pig people looking for Cor-X........:clapping:

Pat Whatley

It was never really a problem before this year, a few call here and there but not a big deal. Apparently there was one hell of a sale on these things this year somewhere because every stay at home mom seems to have one.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And so they should.

Along with the washing, cooking and mending clothes while keeping house, they should do something with all their free time when the kids are in bed. Getting these little plotters should get them all that extra money they need to give little Suzy dance lessons and Johnny money for soccer practice. They can make Daddy's signs for his work place and maybe even one for the corner B&B to give it that warm cozy look..... and just imagine.... all from our remnants, because we're all making a killing in this business and there's enough work to go around for them to pitch in, too.

Before this they had little play ovens, now they have play plotters.... what will they think of next ??

Mosh

I tried to read some of that forum, I had to stop cause I kept getting alittle puke in the back of my mouth.....

CES020

So far this week, I've had a customer that we did wholesale router work for call me and ask me how to make a routed out sign because he just got his router and he doesn't know how to make a sign. He's making it out of plywood and wants advice on how to mask and paint it.

Next one is a call from someone that wants to make their own router and they want to come by and see what a real one looks like so they can copy it for the one they make. Wanted to know if it would be okay for them to stop by soon and watch it in action and look it over.

Fanaticus

Next one is a call from someone that wants to make their own router and they want to come by and see what a real one looks like so they can copy it for the one they make. Wanted to know if it would be okay for them to stop by soon and watch it in action and look it over.

We had one like that. A new-to-the-scene competitor wanted us to give him the schematics for our re-roller/slitter so he could build his own. We told him no. Then his new 'catalog' came out with a picture of what they ended up building.... some spindley spidery looking thing that looks like it'll buckle and topple over if a light breeze hits it.

And in big letters it says "Unlike our competitors we offer free slitting!"..... um, no, just about all of your competitors offer free slitting and you won't be when that cheap piece of scrap metal you built falls apart.

I have a friend that has the cricut and def a pita. Always stopping at the shop and asking to go look for scraps and stuff. And ninety percent of the time whatever shes trying to do comes in as an order anyhow because either she didnt know how long or how hard the said project was

Sam I Am

Not only sign shops but how about the sign suppliers actively getting in on Cricut mania?
One of the local suppliers to Birmingham, Bama Sign Supply (Hueytown, AL) has posted on craigslist offering cuts off rolls at a special rate of 1.19 on 12" x 15" and 2.20 on 12" x 24" sheets.

Not a bad idea seeing a 24" x 50 yrd roll of GMI intermediate will net a $330.00 price tag...I may sell my "scraps"by the pound..LOL.

401Graphics

I'm not sure, but I don't think I've ever had a cricket person call me. Guess I'm lucky.

But I do have lotsa guinea pig people looking for Cor-X........:clapping:
HAHHA i just had one message me a couple days ago for coro. I havnt answered yet.

Jillbeans

Maybe that is why I keep getting mysterious anonymous requests for coro?
My niece got a CriCut for Christmas.
Love....Jill

SignosaurusRex

A real nice and very neighborly gal in my neighborhood used to come into the shop and order assorted stuff for her sports teams that she plays on. It was usually quick and easy stuff with decent $ with no rush and we would gang it with other orders. She got a Cricut and wanted my 'scraps'. A week later I gave her a big box of little scraps,mostly too small to do anything with. She comes back the next day complaining that I gave her 'scraps', wants REMNANTS! I told her I don't have remnants that she would want, that I don't use myself. She never bothered inquiring as to whether or not I'd sell vinyl to her by the foot or yard. Now she seems to have lost her nice and neighborly ways. Go figure. You would think I had run over her kitty.

Bly

An elderly bloke came in the other day wanting scraps of corflute (coro).
I asked how much he needed and he replied "oh about 1 x 3 metres".

I told him to go find a supplier.
The look on his face - priceless.

mark in tx

People with large guinea pigs cages come to me for sheets of coro, it works perfectly for lining the cage bottom.

$25.00 bux a sheet.

OldPaint

i actually had a guy call wanting a sheet of coro. i said it comes in 4 foot x 8 foot, he said yea thats what i want. i told him $20.00 for a sheet(i pay $7.50)...............
THE NEXT THING OUT HIS MOUTH WAS......IT COST THAT MUCH???
i hung up on him.