• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

That's not molding... THIS is molding...

signmeup

Just finished making some big molding for a fairly large carved sign. I used a table saw to make the cove by running the molding sideways across the blade. The molding is 8" x 5". The long run is 11 feet and I knew I couldn't miter the ends with my bandsaw if they were that long so I broke it down into 3 sections with tongue and groove joints.

I'll post up a picture of the sign once it's installed. The sign is 12' x 5' ish.

Attachments

• Molding1.jpg
    Molding1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Molding2.jpg
    Molding2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Molding3.jpg
    Molding3.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 102

sfr table hockey

Crown or no Crown........ you are the man.

What material are you using? I have some samples of precision board that I hope to test soon.

signmeup

That's Corafoam by Duna. 15 pound HDU. Nice stuff. I switched to it years ago. Really like the way it works.

SignManiac

Great idea Adrian. I doubt I would have ever thought of using my table saw in that manner:thumb:

BTW...MGWB just dropped off at the PO

signmeup

Great idea Adrian. I doubt I would have ever thought of using my table saw in that manner:thumb:

BTW...MGWB just dropped off at the PO
I saw the technique years ago in a woodworking book. It took quite a few passes because the saw blade won't cut below it's teeth. I had to do 1/8" at a time.

I glued up the blanks for the molding in "stair step" fashion so not as much had to be hogged out. I was surprised at how smooth it came out though. I didn't have to sand the molding at all.

The nice thing about Duna foam is they added something to it to make the dust fall right to the floor. It's amazing how well it works. I was dreading this job because I figured it would be "dust hell" but it was fine.

signmeup

Oh and maybe you could pm me what I owe you for the MGWB ? Can't wait to see it. Did you put it in the mail or ?

SignManiac

Went through the PO as requested. The cut came out nice. I didn't do any edge polishing but you can if you like. Will send a pm later!

John L

Very nice work!

I've used that cove technique many times myself in both wood and foam... and I can even still count to ten using my fingers.

You probably already know this but... checkout "Shopnotes" magazine... lots of jigs and setups you would like in there also.

signmeup

Thanks guys.

I can only count to nine and a half John. 50% of my right index finger went missing one day.

I will post a picture once it's installed.

Jillbeans

I want to see a picture of your finger, too.
:)
Man that is one massive, impressive looking piece of work.
Love.....Jill