• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The answer is "NEVER"

wedosigns

I had a customer finally pick up his coroplast signs this morning after they sat here 6 months with no payment.
He had made 6-7 appointments to come pick them up and pay for them, but was always a no show.
I had weak moment and made the signs with nothing down. I usually get payment in full before production. I let this one go because he has been with us for over four years.
I filed in small claims three weeks ago, which lit the fire under his a$$.
He did not want to pay the 2% interest or court costs. In the end he did and I am all paid up in cash.
Sort of a bonus for today, since I figured it was a complete right off.
He asked me if he can still get signs here, the answer was NEVER!
Bruce

wedosigns

He orders about 2-3 times a year. Always tries to beat me up on the price. I start high let him talk me down to the regular price.
I am a one man show most days and don't need the hassle.
I have more than enough work to keep my cameo running without his 2-3 jobs a year.

rjssigns

One thing they don't teach in accounting is profit vs. blood pressure. Some people are not worth the aggravation.

J

john1

One thing they don't teach in accounting is profit vs. blood pressure. Some people are not worth the aggravation.

Declined business many times for those reasons, Yeah i have rough times but i am not desperate to let people run my business.

Always have had them come back in the end though and be nicer :thumb:

I agree. But if you get paid in full up front, where is the aggravation?

I can see firing a customer because they are a PITA to deal with if they are always overly picky and waste your time in the design process, especially on small jobs. But from reading the OP I gathered he was firing him because of payment issues.

Patentagosse

As long as I will be the boss here, I will decide who I'm gonna work for and pick the jobs that will please me. I have no staff and small overhead so there's no money good enought to force me to do a job for an energy sucker or someone who see me as a cheap "letter maker". I do signs & vehicle graphics for living for 23 years now, worked my a** off more than I should, extended my work shift over weekends to accomodate guys that couldn't come on weekdays... No matter if the customer pays in full up front, if he doesn't treat me with the respect I deserve, he can go somewhere else. If a guy is falling into my "black list", there's nothing he can do to get back into my business. I know many of you will comment on my way to do business but I think it serves me well the last decades. I always have jobs scheduled a month ahead and I have weeks over 60 hours all year long. My best customers are with me since the beginning in '89 and wouldn't do business with any others 'cause I respect 'em and always do my f****g best to deliver "la creme de la creme" as if it was for me.
I have good and bad days like everyone else but all in all, this job is awesome. When I see jobs I've done +10 years ago and they still look like they were made last month, or when the design / colors are still "trendy", I sleep tight knowing I gave my best. I'm not the best one out there but I know they got plenty for their money.

wedosigns

:goodpost:That is exactly how I feel!
It was not about the money. This guy wasted my time 6-7 times when he would not show. Not even a phone call to say he was not going make it, not once. This guy showed me nothing but disrespect. Go get your damn signs elsewhere. He is on the black list and I will never sell him another sign!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
His money stinks the same as anybody elses money, so I don't see any reason why you can't continue and just demand payment up front.

On the other hand, if he's draining you of time and energy everytime he wants something then let it be known to him...and move on.

JB

fresh

We had someone come in 19 months after his 5 coro lawn signs were done, looking to pick them up. Like you, we made them without a deposit on the fly (he called to order them, has done a pretty good amount of business with us before, etc, etc.) I must have called, no joke, 50 times to remind them that the signs were never paid for or picked up. When the d-bag finally does show up he says "I'm here to pick up the signs I ordered a few months ago." Right.

We have a bunch of folders that are taped closed with red vinyl. If that person comes in again, we make a big deal of cutting the folder open and let them know that they are 100% upfront from this point forward. And I do agree with you about firing clients... we have a bunch of people who we won't do work, no matter what the price.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
We have a bunch of folders that are taped closed with red vinyl. If that person comes in again, we make a big deal of cutting the folder open and let them know that they are 100% upfront from this point forward.

Likey, likey.

The best tire store here in town used to keep a big whiteboard with a list of dead beat customers right behind the counter for all the customers to see.

Nothing beats a little shame and peer pressure to make a guy pay his bills...especially when their friends remind them.

JB

ProWraps

Coloradosigns
His bill for the signs was $890 with the interest for six months and $130 in court costs.

and your cost was likely less than $99....

pick your battles my friend. the negative press from this guy will cost you much more in the long run.

wedosigns

:goodpost:
You are who you hang with, so I get rid of all the d-bags.
This guy straight up told me he hasn't been around for the last three weeks because he broke his house arrest and was in jail. So I think his credibility would amount to nothing.

Si Allen

ProWraps ... hate to tell you firing an A-hole customer is the best advertisement there is!

45 years in this biz ... and I have fired many customers.

I worked off of repeat and referals ... never advertized!

I have had new customers say that they were told to be careful not to p*** me off ... and asked why?

I told them that either their price would go up due to the "A-hole Surcharge" or that I would fire them.

...and I never lacked for work!