Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Flora 4'x8' UV Printer has arrived at GRS

Discussion in 'Flatbed Printers' started by chrisphilipps, Jul 5, 2012.

1. chrisphilipps

chrisphilipps Merchant Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Wharton, NJ
    Graphic Resource Systems has received our demo Flora 2512UV 4'x8' UV Printer. Below are some specs on the printer:

8-16 Konica Minolta print heads (CMYK, Lc, Lm, White, & Varnish)
    Highly versatile machine with the ability to print on just about any substrate or rigid material
    Printing speeds as high as 417 square feet per hour
    Capable of printing on materials up to 4 inches thick!
    Hi-resolution printing up to 1440 x 1440 dpi
    Full bleed true flatbed printer (4x8 feet)

Pictures of the printer being recieved and uncrated can be found on our facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.384257358295463.89204.100186083369260&type=1

Full specs and details on the printer can be found on our online store here: http://www.thegrs.com/shop.net/Prod...=0&eq=&desc=FLora-Flatbed-2512UV-4'x8'&key=it

The printer will be ready for demos in about a week, anyone interested can contact us at (888) 477-8465 Ext. 1 or sales@thegrs.com

Tags:
  2. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    You guys really need to get Luis to trade in that Mutoh and get with the big boys!

Congrats Chris.

3. Skye

Skye Member

Feb 22, 2010
    canada
    Sweet

The machines looks awesome. What is the price on this machine?

4. chrisphilipps

Jun 5, 2009
    Wharton, NJ
    It depends on the options that you select, such as # of heads or the roll to roll option. The base unit starts arround $92,500.

5. OlsonSigns601

OlsonSigns601 Member

Jul 23, 2011
    That's a lot of money to print floral.

Not to mention that hole you had to put in the wall is huge!

So basically you can print white then CMYK on just about any 4x8 substrate?

6. chrisphilipps

Jun 5, 2009
    Wharton, NJ

Yes the printer is CMYKLcLm + White and Varnish and yes you can print full bleed on 4x8 boards. The unit can also print on materials up to 4" thick as well. There is also an optional roll to roll attachment that gives you the ability to print on roll stock up to 98" wide as well. There is a lot of flexibility in the materials that can be run through this unit and the type of jobs that can be done.

7. chrisphilipps

Jun 5, 2009
    Wharton, NJ
    Well it has been a very sucessful day today with the Flora. The electrician got the 220 line installed arround noon and we were up and printing by 4:30.

I know this is a low quality cell phone picture but attached is one of the first prints off of the unit on a Maxtor external hard drive.

Attached Files:

8. chrisphilipps

Jun 5, 2009
    Wharton, NJ
    Time permitted a little more printing and testing of the Flora printer today. Attached is a picture of our ceiling tile that we have just finished printing on.

Attached Files:

9. judead

judead Member

May 21, 2009
    Never heard of these any cons/pros?

Thanks, Really curious as we are looking to potentially get into the flatbed market.

10. Dave Philipps

Dave Philipps New Member

Sep 17, 2008
    The reason you had never heard of Flora before is that they always acted as an OEM mfg, making printers for companies such as Vutek and CET. There now coming to market under their own brand name. We have one of the 4”x8” units in our demo area. (They also make a 6’x10’) We will be making videos on some of the things you can do with the unit and will be sending out an e-mail with a link to all these videos shortly so if you would like go to our website and get added to our e-mail list and you will get any e-mails we send out on this or other products we sell.

As far as the Pros and Cons as I see it I have listed some items below. Much of this information can also be found on the following link.
    http://www.thegrs.com/shop.net/ProductDesc.aspx?code=2512UV&type=0&eq=&desc=Flora-Flatbed-2512UV-4'x8'&key=it

Pros
    High resolution with brilliant print quality
    Variable color configuration that's easily upgradable
    Automatic pin registration system
    Auto media calibration
    Automatic anti-crash sensor
    Auto cleaning system
    White ink recirculation
    Dedicated White ink
    Varnish System

Three layer printing innovation

Vacuum hold down table

4” Z clearance print on anything up to 4” thick
    Print on material weighting up to 3,000 pounds although I don’t know how you could ever put it in the machine
    Optional roll attachment for banner
    Fairly quick speeds up to 417 square feet per hour in the 16 head unit
    Comes with its own rip

Negatives
    Requires a good amount of space
    It is very heavy and needs a strong level floor to be installed on
    Cost it is $92,500.00 for the base unit compare that to the Mutoh 1608HS that we also sell which goes for about $50,000.00. However the Mutoh does not have white ink only transports 15 pounds and prints at a little over 100 square feet per hour, plus it only handles material up 3/8 thick. Roland and Mimaki alos makes flatbeds in the range of about $65, 00.00 with white ink but they are also slow and limited to the weight and thickness of materials that can go through them. Also the LED bulbs in the Mimaki and the Roland cost up to $7,000.00 as what I seen on one post here on Signs101. Check that though this may have changed.

I hope this helps you somewhat and if you any further questions write me an e-mail.

Dave Philipps

11. Downforce Graphics

Downforce Graphics Member

May 14, 2006
    Just curious what would the average square foot production cost would be? minus the substrate of course. TIA

12. chrisphilipps

Jun 5, 2009
    Wharton, NJ
    I have been told a number but I want to confirm with the manufacturer before I post it.. I will get back to you shortly.

13. chrisphilipps

Jun 5, 2009
    Wharton, NJ
    The inks work out to about $0.11 per square foot and the UV bulbs are rated for arround 500 hours and cost $125 each.

14. Downforce Graphics

Downforce Graphics Member

May 14, 2006
    Thanks!

15. Nicky Zhou

Nicky Zhou Vastek

May 7, 2011
    China
    Great to hear Flora back to market as it is

16. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Does Flora have the new flexible UV inks that supposedly stretch 300%?

17. Nicky Zhou

Nicky Zhou Vastek

May 7, 2011
    China
    Yes. The standard Flora ink is fexible enough. 2-3cm can be vacuumed up.
    :signs101:

18. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Is it capable of vehicle wraps?

19. Nicky Zhou

Nicky Zhou Vastek

May 7, 2011
    China
    With standard flexible ink, it is more than enough.

20. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    I wouldn't use UV flatbed ink on vehicle wraps...