Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The good reverend is now sending artwork.

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by thinksigns, Jun 27, 2013.

1. thinksigns

thinksigns SnowFlake

Nov 28, 2010
    This is the first one of these I've received with artwork. The file is even named banner.jpg

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. David Wright

David Wright Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Wyandotte, Mi
    Hey, I'm bidding on this job.

3. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    My favorite part is that they have no idea that no one in the state is likely to order soccer banners and the word "football" on them....

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    great. I sent him a layout without deposit. now hes shopping it around?!? FML

5. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    well, lesson learned never design without a deposit:Big Laugh:Big Laugh:Big Laugh

6. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Don't know what you guys are talking about. That Rev Smith is on the up and up. Just gave him my SS and bank #'s and he is going to make me rich. Will be laughing all the way to the bank and I will be telling you guys "I told you so".

7. JgS

JgS Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Houston
    I guess I'm still new. Is the reverend a common scam artist? That looks like just about every email new clients send me. Well, except the soccer balls.

8. TXFB.INS

TXFB.INS Very Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State
  9. xxtoni

xxtoni Member

Jan 14, 2012
    I'm not familiar with this one. How does the scam work ?

10. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    they use stolen CC's - they get the product, you get a chargeback

11. xxtoni

xxtoni Member

Jan 14, 2012

and what do they do with the product then ?

Sell it to someone ?

Seems like a lot of work, there must be easier ways to get money off stolen CCs.

12. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    I think it sometimes has something to do with the fact that they are in kahootz with shipping companies or something. they probably toss the product

13. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    ...and they tell you they need the banners in butcrackville in Africa, but they had difficulties with UPS in the past, so here is the number for the shipping company they prefer... You call the company and they say to ship 50 Christ is the lord banners will cost $1500, you go back to the reverend...no problem! just add it to the Bill and charge the credit card. DING, you are $7k in the black and printing banners like there is no tomorrow.
    All packaged up you call the shipping company... they need to be paid by cash since they have no relationship with you. You have the money in the bank so you Western Union a money order to "Fake Shipping Company of Senegal" and wait for the truck....and wait.
    Three weeks later Mrs. Lip****z of Palm beach gets her credit card statment for $7k worth of Jesus Banners...DING you are out the money incliding the cash you sent to the shipper.

14. Red Ball

Red Ball Very Active Member

Aug 20, 2008
    IRVING, TEXAS
    The most common form of this scam is that it is a stolen credit card for the product purchase. Then hook is you must use their shipping company and prepay the freight WITH YOUR MONEY.

15. xxtoni

xxtoni Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Yea now it all makes sense.

16. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    I don't recall how long ago, but there was a sign company who actually fell for it and lost a crapload of money. Hard to believe but they keep finding gullible victims. I guess with seven billion people on the planet, the percentage odds are still pretty good for the thieves...

17. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    I always reply and have yet to get the CC number.

18. xxtoni

xxtoni Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Oh sure. These guys are a bit strange though.

Most people wonder why the African prince scam is so obvious and why the scammers don't mix it up a bit to make it look and sound legit. The reason they don't do that is because they WANT it to sound ridiculous and the reason for that is...sending spam is cheap, hiring people is not. They can send hundreds of millions of spam mails for peanuts so what happens if your scam is believable and from those 100 million emails you sent 1 million people reply and ask you a question about the whole thing. You would have to hire a crap load of people to process these guys, who are now basically leads into a conversion, that costs a crapton of money. On the other hand you have this story that nobody who's been online for more than 15 minutes will believe, you want someone who won't ask any questions, you want someone who will first wire the money and only then ask questions but then it's already too late, they already have the money. So basically they're setting the common denominator on the most guidable of internet users.

On a related note, the online scam industry isn't that profitable to be honest. Worldwide it's estimated that it's worth around 100 million per year. Governments and companies spend billions per year fighting spam, so it's not even on par.