• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The majority of your applications: Wet or Dry?

Wet or Dry, DIYer or sign shop

• Full time sign shop: Majority Applied WET

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Full time sign shop: Majority Applied DRY

Votes: 127 75.6%
  • DIYer: Majority Applied WET

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • DIYer: Majority Applied DRY

Votes: 24 14.3%

• Total voters

S'N'S

DRY.

Er, why would you need to do layering wet? it's no different to doing the first layer.

Also whats classed as a DYIer?

darkdan

I guess I should have defined the terms, but it seems most understood.

Either a full sign shop (in business), or someone that just owns a plotter and dabbles with it on the side (may or may not be a business depending on involvement).

S'N'S

I'm getting over it..there is no shame to a wet app...it just takes time...
Ken

Ken there's no shame, but I find it takes longer and always ended up with bubbles, so I've done everything dry for years.
Hmmm, no I don't, I don't do window etch vinyl dry, god I hate that stuff..

wrapman jamz

What's the point? I looks like the majority goes dry. The only wet for me was model decals in 1968. Do you need pointers on technique? (dry) I'm sure someone has a reference to a great video and you'll never get your stuff wet again!

BRUSHMARKS

FT shop here do them dry as much as possible. being in MN only have about 6-8 months of hot enough weather that we dont have to worry about moisture staying behind and freezeing nad cracking the vinyl

TorturdChaos

Full Time Shop. If we print it on vinyl & its not cut, it usually gets applied wet. If its printed & cut or cut out of pre-colored vinyl its usually dry.

There are a few excepts depending on the project.

SignsOfMaine

I voted dry but by no means are we against wet. There's just no reason to waste that sweet, sweet rapidtac on every little site sign and door decal. Certain situations call for wet (like the 20 foot lightbox graphics) and when those situations come up, we work that spray bottle.

TonyHoles

No shame in wet but there will come a point where you get good enough to always do things dry. Just my opinion. I am sure there are times where wet is necessary but I can't think of one at the moment.

SignManiac

In most cases dry would be acceptable but wet definitely feels better. I no longer use rapid tac or Ivory but have found that Astroglide works really good.

gnatt66

im learning dry...do everything that doesnt scare me dry. race car numbers i do wet, ugh @ rivets, dents, blah blah. i usually layer them(a door number) untaped and semi-soaked in rapid tac II, works best for me so far. it's almost as fast as dry and no PIA wet transfer tape to wrestle with.

can't wait to learn applying large printed graphics when my printer shows up :rock-n-roll:

SignosaurusRex

Always Dry as a rule regardless of size, layers etc........however there are special circumstances that absolutely require a wet install from time to time but those are very rare.

Hell, I'll bet ol' Roger even goes....ah,..err..I mean...installs... dry as long as no one is looking.:rolleyes:

sarge

ok i do just about 95% dry .. 14 years ago or so i bought some rapidtac kinda stuff .. still have 1/2 of a case .. if i recall there was 24 bottles of 24 oz .. my son who does window tinting (treatments) got me using dawn and water .. that stuff is the best imo