• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question The new Roland Tru vis

Mainframe

Tom, Go on Roland's site and request some sample prints, they will send them to you, I think it would be better if you have them in your hand, seeing is believing. It has nice output, very bright colors, banners look wet, I keep touching them thinking they are wet, but they are dry, I was told the heads ride lower than the older Rolands, the machine ships with only long media clamps and a lot of people don't like to use them. So you will get a head strike a lot easier that way but you need to use them.

I have had good luck with mine so far, hope it keeps going this way.
I guess others have not had the same experience.

Mainframe

Derby city doesn't know the error code, he doesn't have a VG, this is his first post about a VG they run HP printers at his shop!
You guys are really pushing it here!

NICE!

Emd2kick

I have a VG640, it’s built beautifully and like a tank....but that’s me trying to say it’s a fat chick with a great personality. Prints are so slow, and print cut sounds great...except print cut with medium - heavy coverage creates crazy edge curl. The plasticity of these inks (which you’ll notice when you clean the heads). Can actually force low tack vinyls to curl after application, and the smell of the eco solve is super strong regardless of thier claim.
After having the vg for 3 month we bought a latex 365. So this thing is plastic, and feels flimsy...but it truly flies through prints. Can cut or laminate right away, no edge curl and no smell. We have a consistent project that we do on the 365 that take 1hr to print and offline cut, which took 3hr+ on Roland print cut.
In short, steer clear from the Roland...there are better alternatives on the market.

Emd2kick

Also, speak to some material suppliers like MacTac. Some materials you need to leave white space on edges with eco solve (no full bleed). With Latex that is not an issue.

DerbyCitySignGuy

What error code is it throwing?

It's been going crazy. First we had "SERVICE CALL 0400 [000F]" message, which turned into a "FEED MOTOR ERROR CODE: 0008 0008". Tried to do a limit reset per a service tech's suggestion and now we're getting a code that said "SERVICE CALL 1000 1000". He wasn't sure what that was, so now we're waiting while he tries to figure it out.

What's weird is that the tool carriage separates from the print carriage and everything looks like it's going to work, the initialization completes and then it flashes red and gives a SERVICE CALL 0102 error. Something wacky is going on.

Personally, I think there's a short or a bad board or some other electrical issue. It's all over the place with the error codes and what it's printing or not printing at any given moment.

Derby city doesn't know the error code, he doesn't have a VG, this is his first post about a VG they run HP printers at his shop!
You guys are really pushing it here!

NICE!

Who are you shilling for, troll? For the record, we have lots of different printers in our shop(s). Not just HP.

Here's a picture of our Roland, I'm assuming you know what that bright red light means.

SPOILER ALERT: It means it's broken. Again.

IMG_1274[1].JPG

Last edited:

TomK

Tom, Go on Roland's site and request some sample prints, they will send them to you, I think it would be better if you have them in your hand, seeing is believing. It has nice output, very bright colors, banners look wet, I keep touching them thinking they are wet, but they are dry, I was told the heads ride lower than the older Rolands, the machine ships with only long media clamps and a lot of people don't like to use them. So you will get a head strike a lot easier that way but you need to use them.

I have had good luck with mine so far, hope it keeps going this way.
I guess others have not had the same experience.
Of course, already done, I just like to see real world prints vs what the vendor produces. Only take you 15 seconds to snap a phone close up photo of something coming off your printer and share it. :)

DerbyCitySignGuy

Of course, already done, I just like to see real world prints vs what the vendor produces. Only take you 15 seconds to snap a phone close up photo of something coming off your printer and share it. :)

It definitely has some bright colors and does high quality prints. We're just having issues with ours at the moment. I'd run something real quick if it was up and running. I'll see if I can't find an older picture of something cool we've done.

petepaz

seems like when ever roland puts out a new printer it has bugs that need to be worked out. fortunately we have been lucky enough to avoid most of these and before you get your panties in a bunch we have 5 rolands currently that we use. we started with a 30in print cut unit about 17yrs ago and now we have a fleet. i think they are great but they are by no means perfect. the truvis needs to be cleaned every 5-8 days or you will get banding and the banding just means (usually ) that it needs to be cleaned. the ink is dry after it prints but before it hits the heater it looks wet and it is tacky. we did have some issues with crop marks and our tech had us change a setting and now it's ok be we went about a week that for no reason it just would read some crop marks and then not. the new roland print heads and this ink do seem to get some build up on the head edges, hence the banding and neediing to be cleaned so often. over all a good solid machine. we do have an xc and like someone said this is a work horse. we also have a xr and i never timed anything but i think the xr is faster than the truvis. also don't like that the ink drain on the truvis is the smaller container like we have on our vp and with all the auto and manual cleaning done the container needs to be emptied a lot. i don't think this is the best machine roland has put out but it is a good solid machine and we get a lot of production out of it. i will also say with the new ink they really improved on the white ink. still not the best and not as good as their uv white but overall better than what they had in the xc white

DerbyCitySignGuy

I like our VG-540 when it's working, but you're correct: it is definitely not a perfect machine. It does what it does well, but it's not the end-all-be-all. If it did everything, we wouldn't have a need for flatbeds, latex printers, or repro machines.

Mainframe needs to quit being so histrionic.

C5 Service&Repair

Do this.... Turn the machine off, and move the carriages out over the platen. Now reach in and see if the capping station moves back and forth EASILY. Does it stick a little in the left position?

Mainframe

Don't know troll LOL I'm just a 290lb boxer used to razzing everyone, but I'm also a retired auto tech so I come in handy once in a while and people put up with me, and NO I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE RED LIGHT!!!
YIKES, NEVER SEEN THEM but it's coming I'm sure.

These machines are made too complex, I like the performance but too many are having trouble, not good, not good.

Let us know what you find,
Sucks

blufftonsignguy

They are great if you like Banding, long dry times, daily maintenance, expensive print heads, not able to print thin papers or porus fabrics then it's a great machine. Did you go by the Latex booth? In all seriousness though, Roland makes good solid equipment but I was just curious if you had considered latex at all.
No I have not put any thought into the latex printers. My personal feelings they do not produce the vibrant colors eco inks do. I have seen in my area where the prints are lasting 2 years tops. That may be the operator (not sure). I just don't see the quality behind the latex.

Emd2kick

I’d put some thought into a latex, since you haven’t yet. You have way more color control on the latex 365, has a built in spectrometer for consistency. Pair that with Onyx and you are good to go. Versaworks is super user friendly, but it’s a very unsophisticated rip. So much so that I run onyx on the Roland now as well. I have both boxes (Roland bought October 2017 and HP in January 2018), I wish I bought the HP first as I would have bought 2 of those instead.

I’m not a reseller or rep, so I have no horse in the race. I really just don’t want you to make the same expensive mistake I made. If you were local I’d let you come to my shop and play with both to see what I mean...

blufftonsignguy

Thanks for the advise. I have already purchased the Roland. Hopefully it works out for me. I will be looking more into the latex side of things in the near future.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Do this.... Turn the machine off, and move the carriages out over the platen. Now reach in and see if the capping station moves back and forth EASILY. Does it stick a little in the left position?

Capping station is working like it's supposed to. The print carriage locks like it's supposed to. The tool carriage separates like it's supposed to. For some reason, still throwing weird errors. We're still under warranty and there's a tech coming out, so hopefully they can figure out what's going on.

Don't know troll LOL I'm just a 290lb boxer used to razzing everyone, but I'm also a retired auto tech so I come in handy once in a while and people put up with me, and NO I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE RED LIGHT!!!
YIKES, NEVER SEEN THEM but it's coming I'm sure.

These machines are made too complex, I like the performance but too many are having trouble, not good, not good.

Let us know what you find,
Sucks

It still works, it just sometimes won't finish a print, or the feed motor or take-up motor will fail and do something weird. Sometimes it loses the network connection. Just a handful of weird issues.