Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Olympics logo

Discussion in 'Logo Design' started by Colin, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    So, what do y'all think of the 2012 London Olympics logo? (Google > Images > London 2012 Olympics logo).

I think it is possibly the most hideous thing I've ever seen. Even the lettering "London 2012" that we see in the background of most of the sports is like having toothpicks jabbed into my eyes.

No doubt somebody got paid a pile of money to "develop" this too; and I sense a committee was involved.

Tags:
  2. carter75

carter75 Member

Jul 5, 2012
    I definitely agree that it could have been a bunch better. Found this on Wikipedia...

There have been two London 2012 logos: one for the bidding process created by Kino Design and a second as the brand for the Games themselves. The former is a ribbon with blue, yellow, black, green and red stripes winding through the text "LONDON 2012," making the shape of the River Thames in East London. The latter, designed by Wolff Olins, was published on 4 June 2007 as a representation of the number 2012, with the Olympic Rings embedded within the zero. Public reaction to the logo in a June 2007 BBC poll was largely negative, with more than 80% of votes giving the logo the lowest possible rating. Several newspapers ran their own logo competitions, displaying alternative submissions from their readers, while several writers from news agencies criticized the logo. A segment of animated footage released at the same time as the logo was reported to trigger seizures in a small number of people with photosensitive epilepsy, and in response, a short segment was removed from the London 2012 website. In February 2011, Iran complained that the logo appeared to spell out the word "Zion" and threatened to boycott the Olympics, but eventually did not boycott.

3. slipperyfrog

slipperyfrog Active Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    It sucks.

4. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Barfff!

5. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    You mean the one where Lisa Simpson is doing "questionable" thing to Bart?

Hahahaha

6. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    I think to get the full awesome effect of the 2012 Olympic logo you have to see it used in context with the official Olympic one eye'd trouser snake/metallic scrotum mascot thing......

wayne k
    guam usa

Attached Files:

7. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    first five posts pretty much sum it all up for me.

8. gipllc

gipllc New Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Wow! I haven't laughed that hard in quite a while... Then when I saw it was posted by "sticky signs" I really lost it! Sorry if that's immature, but thought it was hilarious!

I am trying to figure out what that logo is supposed to be; but now every time I look at it I only see Lisa and Bart.

9. briankb

briankb Active Member

Jul 7, 2009
    The logo and type they are using is horrible. The opening ceremony was awful. The olympic flame flower petal thing is equally as hideous. The seats are empty. How did London get this gig anyway?

10. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

You're not the only one! I just about inhaled my beer as i read that post and looked at the picture. To funny!:ROFLMAO:

11. briankb

briankb Active Member

Jul 7, 2009
    LMAO!!! I forgot about those!

12. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    The best part of the whole thing is that Wolff Olins Brand Consultants was paid the equivalent of $628,280.00 for that controversial 5-piece puzzle. The worst part is that it's a train wreck....people can't stop looking at it and talking about.

13. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    http://www.alias.uk.com/#/menu .. here is the font designer look under>> work>>branding you will see.. London 2012

As for the flower thing guess it is modern & festive what do I know, but did not know it had copy in it.

14. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    800k for the design campaign.

15. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007

London 2012 logos and fonts looks like a BIG S#%:?T :wink:

16. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    another "ad agency" do up I'm sure. Not only dumb as hell just makes no sense

17. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    I wish they would have posted that logo here as a "what do you think" thread. we would have told them for sure:Big Laugh

it is so horrid and their mascot so creepy that I heard on the news that the merchanise was being sold at a huge discount even before the games started as no one wanted it.

18. lexsigns

lexsigns Premium Subscriber

Dec 24, 2007
    Burlington ma
    bahahhhhaaa- ditto on all the comments! IT SUCKS! and now I got my laugh for the day! hahahhaha:thumb:

19. Msrae

Msrae Rae

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    It is most definitely painful to even look at, however the Bart and Lisa Simpson rendition was hilarious. It made my day.

20. idsignsil

idsignsil Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Springfield, IL
    Did not see this until it was pointed out....that is hilarious! :ROFLMAO:

I also must agree with everything that was said above. My wife and I have been watching, and she is getting tired of me talking about how bad the logo's and all of the other branding look.