• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

omaan

I read the article,may be it is a good idea as they say they don't have money to appoint guards! This way might be parents will feel secure with armed teachers...
Anyways thanks for sharing it here

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Thats a tough call.
From overall view it seems like it might work but when you get into the details of the workings of the day to day school environment (that can be high stress without any violence) not so good I think.
Are you sure you want to give access to weapons to these guys?

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• michigan-right-to-work-teachers.jpg
    michigan-right-to-work-teachers.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 76

phototec

Thats a tough call.
From overall view it seems like it might work but when you get into the details of the workings of the day to day school environment (that can be high stress without any violence) not so good I think.

wayne k
guam usa

NO - I wouldn't want that bunch in your photo to have concealed carry hand guns!

We don't have a teachers union here in Texas, this is a Right To Work State.

:peace!:

Mainframe

Thats a tough call.

wayne k
guam usa

Well, Actually, the answer is YES!

I would be willing to guess most of the teachers in this pic have masters degrees, also, I would imagine, they have 0% felony convictions, now let's keep going here, oh and by the way, most have held a job, 10 plus years, let's keep going, well, most are parents with let me guess, kids in the school they teach at.

What do they go through every day, that is more stressful than a marriage? LOL

Do you want to demonize a group of hard working American citizens because they belong to a union?

These union type workers helped free this country and nobody complained when they used a gun to do it.

Now I ask you, what choice do we (they) have but to allow the teachers that have the desire to take on the burden, "yes I mean burden, because it is a HUGE responsibility and just an all around pain in the a$$ to carry and be responsible for a firearm"

I find most of our teachers get attached to the kids they teach. It is hard work and for the most part they are paid well for it.

Freaks are coming into the schools and shooting our (their) kids, If the teacher wants to arm up, pull out a handgun and take care of business with these cowards, I say let them!

If you saw a pic of me for instance, I am a 53 year old big bald scary looking guy in pictures, you might not think I should even own a gun, but if you and me were in the back of a Wal-Mart some place, with a freak shooting his way toward us, I would be your new best friend! And you would be standing right behind me with the best possible chance to survive, minus, a law enforcement officer or solder.

How come these cowards don't storm the firing ranges?

tsgstl

Amen?
No offence but I think it is so ironic that its the extremely religious that want everyone to be armed to the hilt. I heard a different message when I went to Sunday school.

I LOVE a Big Mac every now and again, and don't get me started on MicRibs. But I don't think MackDonalds should be in charge of my sons school lunch diet.

As far as I know nobody is wanting to take away every gun, this country was built on personal freedoms. The things I see on social media that say otherwise are the exact things that are wrong with society.

It's like some people think that if every place allows guns these disturbed people will just magically not want to kill people or even more laughable walk into a place outnumbered and get blown away. The profile of these individuals is that they are highly intellegent. IE they will find another way. Are we going to arm every pre school teacher as well? I'm not crazy and I'm not a genius, but there are lots of kids at pre schools too. Then do we start arming nurseries at the hospital?

The whole I use these high powered weapons for a sport argument is another good one. The sale of Jarts was banned because humans weren't intellegent enough to not throw a heavy pointy object at another humans head.

Our fear driven media, popularity driven FB and twitter, desensitizing TV games movies, etc etc all are ingredients that make up the good ol USA. Either we change everything or it will fix nothing. Not addressing every problem is just proof that we really don't want to give up the things that are causing the problem.

I'm just rambling though, I'm a statistical thinker. These things really bug me. Statistically Sandy Hook is extremely rare. I live in the Midwest and every summer we start getting the West Nile virus scare on the news. "Another death was linked to West Nile Virus, bringing the death toll to 3 now" ooooh noooo what are we going to do? Stay indoor folks it coming!! But yet every winter tens of thousands die of the flu. I just don't get it.

signage

Taking guns away from citizens Will not cure anything. If guns are so wrong why does all of our elected officials have armed security? If it is good for them why not the students. What they need to do is look into taking care of the mentally challenged people not just drugging them and putting them out into society.

joshb311

If someone can show me where the gun was at fault in this situation, then I would totally support more gun control. The gun did not cause this event. The gun did not kill those poor children. A madman wielding a weapon killed those people.

There were around 8,500 deaths in the US in 2011 (murder and non-negligent manslaughter) using firearms. A sad and scary fact. However, more than 32,000 deaths occurred in 2011 as a result of traffic fatalities. Even more interesting is the fact that traffic fatalities for 2011 were the lowest recorded levels since federal regulators started collecting data in 1949. Why aren't people up in arms over those tragedies? :Oops: Are the lives of those individuals less significant? I use the word individuals, as the numbers tend to make people forget that these are friends, family members and loved ones to someone else.

I am a staunch gun advocate and am somewhat confused by the failure of everyone to see the obvious. The person behind this tragedy was mentally ill. Period. The culprits of every mass killing are mentally ill. Why are we not addressing the problem of mental illness? :banghead:

CES020

Norway has some of the toughest gun control laws in the world. Research that, it's pretty easy to confirm.

Recall that madman in Norway in 2011 killing 77 people with guns?

So some of the toughest gun laws in the world, yet it didn't stop that guy. I'm all for trying to stop senseless violence, but if you want to reduce it, let's work on the actual problem and lets produce solutions that WILL work, rather than solutions that make people "feel better" and then produce no results.

signage

If someone can show me where the gun was at fault in this situation, then I would totally support more gun control. The gun did not cause this event. The gun did not kill those poor children. A madman wielding a weapon killed those people.

There were around 8,500 deaths in the US in 2011 (murder and non-negligent manslaughter) using firearms. A sad and scary fact. However, more than 32,000 deaths occurred in 2011 as a result of traffic fatalities. Even more interesting is the fact that traffic fatalities for 2011 were the lowest recorded levels since federal regulators started collecting data in 1949. Why aren't people up in arms over those tragedies? :Oops: Are the lives of those individuals less significant? I use the word individuals, as the numbers tend to make people forget that these are friends, family members and loved ones to someone else.

I am a staunch gun advocate and am somewhat confused by the failure of everyone to see the obvious. The person behind this tragedy was mentally ill. Period. The culprits of every mass killing are mentally ill. Why are we not addressing the problem of mental illness? :banghead:

:goodpost:

tsgstl

Norway has some of the toughest gun control laws in the world. Research that, it's pretty easy to confirm.

Recall that madman in Norway in 2011 killing 77 people with guns?

So some of the toughest gun laws in the world, yet it didn't stop that guy. I'm all for trying to stop senseless violence, but if you want to reduce it, let's work on the actual problem and lets produce solutions that WILL work, rather than solutions that make people "feel better" and then produce no results.

Do you even realize what you are saying? Norway really? Using your own statement "I'm all for trying to stop senseless violence" look at the difference between their gun murders per cap. Vs. ours
There will always be nut bags, we can do better at controlling this but never rid the world of it.

The reason we have this mess is because there are millions of guns in the wrong hands. Every single one of those guns was purchased legally at one point. They got in the wrong hands because somehow one of you "supposed responsible gun owner" were careless because of greed or ingnorance. And your solution is to get more? I'm sorry you had your chance too many of you "blew it"

I just now heard a expert say "strict gun control won't fix anything because there are so many millions of guns out there already. It would take one hundred years to go through enough that would make a difference"
So I guess that's it, don't find away to remedy the problem for good because it won't effect ME

Yes we do need to look at mental health
Yes we do need to look at gun control
Yes we do need to look at a entire slew of things wrong.

signage

Yes we do need to look at mental health
Yes we do need to look at gun control
Yes we do need to look at a entire slew of things wrong.

Can you tell me how gun control would have stopped this? The mother was the one that bought the guns, and she did it legally!

Like the saying goes outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns! The gun is not the problem the problem is our system, if you would look into it these problems did not happen nearly as often when we had mental health institutions. Our elected officials decided not fund them and put the burden on the families and local governments, who had no way of doing anything other than letting them go out in to society and try to preform as normal people. When they can not handle it this is what happens.

tsgstl

I wish I could answer that my friend. We could maybe of cut down on the body count but it probably would of still happened. I can only assume, but if I ever am faced with a situation like this I think numbers could help over power a individual like this if only armed with a handgun. If I see a large clip assault riffle I would be more interested in fleeing.

As far as the mother goes, she is largely responsible for this. When she or anyone legally purchase any firearm they have the responsibility to not let it get into the hands of someone that would do harm. She failed.

WildWestDesigns

I find most of our teachers get attached to the kids they teach. It is hard work and for the most part they are paid well for it.

Not really. My grandmother was an English teacher and they had good pay and good benefits and she loved her job. She does make the joke that they probably hope that she dies soon, paying for her benefits is getting expensive (she is 98).

Alicia was a HS English teacher, completely different story. Given that teachers have less control then they did even when I was growing up (much less when my grandmother was a teacher) and funds have been significantly slashed. Unless you are talking about prep schools, that might be a different story on both counts.

People have no idea what teachers go through. It really does take a special individual.

As to Right to Work, all that really means is that you don't have to join a union in order to seek employment. Doesn't mean that they don't have unions in that state.

WildWestDesigns

The reason we have this mess is because there are millions of guns in the wrong hands. Every single one of those guns was purchased legally at one point. They got in the wrong hands because somehow one of you "supposed responsible gun owner" were careless because of greed or ingnorance. And your solution is to get more? I'm sorry you had your chance too many of you "blew it"

Not in every single incidence as you are implying from that original legal purchase.

In the law (and in good common sense), as far as responsibility, you have to attribute a proximal causality between that original legal purchase and rather or not they were the ones that caused that murderer to have a gun.

There was a gun trade program one time, I was young, so I didn't remember the specifics, but those guns were slated for destruction. Responsible people brought those in for the traded in their guns and were told that those guns were slated for destruction (and this was a government sponsored program, the same group that you are wanting to make and control stricter gun laws). A few were used in armed convenience store robberies a few months later (traced the serial numbers). Big stink over that in the local papers. According to how you phrased that statement, you would believe that those original gun owners that purchased it were responsible when it really was the greedy individual that kept the gunes from being destroyed and saw a way to make a buck.

I'm not saying that it hasn't or won't happen the way that you describe it, but I sure wouldn't blame the legal gun owner in this case like it appears that you would.

Do you even realize what you are saying? Norway really? Using your own statement "I'm all for trying to stop senseless violence" look at the difference between their gun murders per cap. Vs. ours
There will always be nut bags, we can do better at controlling this but never rid the world of it.

Even the most staunchest of gun control advocates make comparisons like this. Except they usually use Britain as an example. However, not quite totally in context.

Last time I looked for this country, legal gun ownership is higher in rural areas compared to cities (yet which has the higher crime rate, at least publicly known). Legal gun ownership is also higher in certain demographic groups versus others and yet violence is higher in the reverse order.

There is no simple solution to this, certainly not one done in such a strict gung-ho fashion.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...Do you want to demonize a group of hard working American citizens because they belong to a union?

These union type workers helped free this country and nobody complained when they used a gun to do it...

Nonsense. The middle class and thus trade unions are a product of the industrial revolution.

If memory serves this country gained it's freedom and its very existence 120 or so years prior to this event. To hold that trade unions and their membership participated in the founding of this country is inane.

Prior to the industrial revolution there was no middle class to speak of. There was the wealthy and there was the poor and precious little in between.

Then the advent of mass production which required both producers and consumers of the goods being created. Hence the appearance of both the middle class and trade unions. It's unclear which might be a product of which or if their emergence was independent of each other. All three possibilities can be argued.

Regardless, trade unions have long ago served their purpose, as did buggy whips and bung starters, and remain a curious and inconvenient relic of the past. If there was not incredible power and wealth to be gained by the organizers and leaders of trade unions they long ago would have went the way of other antiques. Once the were an integral part of society, now they are a costly job killing economy strangling pestilence.

It doesn't matter a dollop of ossified wombat snot that once upon a time they filled a need. The salient question is what have you done for us lately?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Which part of this language, especially the "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" part, do any of you find confusing? This a simple declarative phrase. There is no equivocation in it. No ifs, no unlesses, no buts, Moreover, nowhere in this language is there any accommodation for "They couldn't have known this..." or "They couldn't have meant that.." or "Times have changed..." or any of the multitude of rationalizations attempting to modify that which is unmodifiable as written.

The document does not state "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms, with such restrictions as deemed appropriate, shall not be infringed"

If you find the second amendment troublesome as written then the only recourse is to amend the constitution to modify or negate it.

Northern Design

Northern Design Graphics
Teachers, Doctors, Care Takers.... are pro life they (most) do not have it in them to harm someone or take a life.
If you want to start fixing the problem Start with "Term Limits"

Status
Not open for further replies.