• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The shelves are bare. Where can I get isopropyl alcohol?

AGinVT

My shop goes through a lot of 70% isopropyl alcohol. It is our go to in our spray bottles for a final clean on substrates and vehicles. I can't find it in stores or online since Covid19 hit. Anyone have an active source or an alternative for cleaning?

On vehicles, we typically do a clean with a mild soap/water mixture and then move to the alcohol. For signage, we use only the alcohol. We're getting pretty low, so I'm wondering if you guys have any alternatives that you like?

ikarasu

In Canada we use Univar. I just ordered a big drum... All the stores here have an artificial shortage, but the big chemical suppliers only sell to businesses, so plenty of stock. It's a company that just does chemicals... We do lots of screen printing stuff, so they carry what we need even though we don't need 99% of what they offer. I'd search your area for a chemical supplier.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Acetone will work. It is not as mild as alcohol so you have to be a little careful around plastic and not leave it to dry on painted surfaces out in the sun (wet rag - dry rag). In the paint & body shop we used it all the time for cleaning just about everything.

AGinVT

In Canada we use Univar. I just ordered a big drum... All the stores here have an artificial shortage, but the big chemical suppliers only sell to businesses, so plenty of stock. It's a company that just does chemicals... We do lots of screen printing stuff, so they carry what we need even though we don't need 99% of what they offer. I'd search your area for a chemical supplier.

I'll look into it. I just ordered some RapidPrep today to try it out, but I'll look into business direct chemical companies.

AGinVT

Acetone will work. It is not as mild as alcohol so you have to be a little careful around plastic and not leave it to dry on painted surfaces out in the sun (wet rag - dry rag). In the paint & body shop we used it all the time for cleaning just about everything.

Interesting. We usually use acetone in emergency only adhesive removals. Do you dilute it when using it for cleaning?

ikarasu

I'll look into it. I just ordered some RapidPrep today to try it out, but I'll look into business direct chemical companies.

Rapid prep leaves behind a film.. You're supposed to use rapid prep, then use rapid tac afterwards to clean the rapid prep away. We usually use alcohol, but sadly rapid prep by itself isn't enough - You could likely use soap + water to get it away... but if you've never used rapid prep before, just know you need to clean it off afterwards

Reveal1

We use denatured alcohol. It is ethanol with de-denaturing additives such as methanol to make it toxic so kids can't drink it. It is stronger than ISO so dilute to 25/75 (glass) or 50/50 alcohol (clean) to distilled water. Buy in gallon can at Lowes for about $16.

Ready

Ready To Go
My shop goes through a lot of 70% isopropyl alcohol. It is our go to in our spray bottles for a final clean on substrates and vehicles. I can't find it in stores or online since Covid19 hit. Anyone have an active source or an alternative for cleaning?

On vehicles, we typically do a clean with a mild soap/water mixture and then move to the alcohol. For signage, we use only the alcohol. We're getting pretty low, so I'm wondering if you guys have any alternatives that you like?

Tubelite has 99% alcohol in stock and you can also buy Denatured alcohol at Lowes and Home Depot.

Bob P

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Just picked up the last gallon of 70% in Tractor Supply. If they have it it is in the Animal area. Wish they had 91%. It's humid in Florida and the 70% evaporates leaving the water behind.

For the past week, I have been adding 30% Acetone to stretch my supply.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things

I

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
We use alcohol in our fountain solutions for our offset presses.
I Purchase 99% isopropanol alcohol in five gallon cans from Mac Papers my paper supplier.

PrintQueen

I was able to find some isopropyl at an animal feed shop (somewhere with animal first aid products). They were able to special order 2 qts for me. Not sure if you have something of the sort near you.. it took me 13 stops (literally) before I was able to find a source.

also was able to easily find denatured alcohol in the paint section of home depot.