Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The shelves are bare. Where can I get isopropyl alcohol?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Awesome Graphics, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Awesome Graphics

Awesome Graphics Member

Sep 26, 2019
    Vermont
    My shop goes through a lot of 70% isopropyl alcohol. It is our go to in our spray bottles for a final clean on substrates and vehicles. I can't find it in stores or online since Covid19 hit. Anyone have an active source or an alternative for cleaning?

On vehicles, we typically do a clean with a mild soap/water mixture and then move to the alcohol. For signage, we use only the alcohol. We're getting pretty low, so I'm wondering if you guys have any alternatives that you like?

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Check out auto stores for gasoline anti-freeze it's just 99% alcohol.

3. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  4. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    In Canada we use Univar. I just ordered a big drum... All the stores here have an artificial shortage, but the big chemical suppliers only sell to businesses, so plenty of stock. It's a company that just does chemicals... We do lots of screen printing stuff, so they carry what we need even though we don't need 99% of what they offer. I'd search your area for a chemical supplier.

5. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Acetone will work. It is not as mild as alcohol so you have to be a little careful around plastic and not leave it to dry on painted surfaces out in the sun (wet rag - dry rag). In the paint & body shop we used it all the time for cleaning just about everything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Awesome Graphics

Awesome Graphics Member

Sep 26, 2019
    Vermont
    I'll look into it. I just ordered some RapidPrep today to try it out, but I'll look into business direct chemical companies.

7. Awesome Graphics

Awesome Graphics Member

Sep 26, 2019
    Vermont
    Interesting. We usually use acetone in emergency only adhesive removals. Do you dilute it when using it for cleaning?

8. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    We use it straight up.

9. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Rapid prep leaves behind a film.. You're supposed to use rapid prep, then use rapid tac afterwards to clean the rapid prep away. We usually use alcohol, but sadly rapid prep by itself isn't enough - You could likely use soap + water to get it away... but if you've never used rapid prep before, just know you need to clean it off afterwards

10. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I have always used denatured alcohol & never had issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    We use denatured alcohol. It is ethanol with de-denaturing additives such as methanol to make it toxic so kids can't drink it. It is stronger than ISO so dilute to 25/75 (glass) or 50/50 alcohol (clean) to distilled water. Buy in gallon can at Lowes for about $16.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. asapsignsfl1

asapsignsfl1 Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Clearwater, Florida
    Tubelite has 99% alcohol in stock and you can also buy Denatured alcohol at Lowes and Home Depot.

Bob P

13. Awesome Graphics

Awesome Graphics Member

Sep 26, 2019
    Vermont
    Thank you all for the tips. Much appreciated.

14. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    Been using denatured alcohol for nearly 20 years. Haven't had a problem yet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    In a pinch, a little bit of Gem Clear PGA will do...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jester1167

Jester1167 Very Active Member

Just picked up the last gallon of 70% in Tractor Supply. If they have it it is in the Animal area. Wish they had 91%. It's humid in Florida and the 70% evaporates leaving the water behind.

For the past week, I have been adding 30% Acetone to stretch my supply.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joseph44708

Joseph44708 Member

Jan 16, 2020
    Florida
    I

18. Joseph44708

Joseph44708 Member

Jan 16, 2020
    Florida
    We use alcohol in our fountain solutions for our offset presses.
    I Purchase 99% isopropanol alcohol in five gallon cans from Mac Papers my paper supplier.

19. PrintQueen

PrintQueen New Member

Aug 13, 2019
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I was able to find some isopropyl at an animal feed shop (somewhere with animal first aid products). They were able to special order 2 qts for me. Not sure if you have something of the sort near you.. it took me 13 stops (literally) before I was able to find a source.

also was able to easily find denatured alcohol in the paint section of home depot.

• Like Like x 1