• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The shelves are bare. Where can I get isopropyl alcohol?

jimbug72

We buy 99% by the 55 gallon drum from a chemical supplier. We just got a new one about 2 years ago. The previous one lasted about 10 years.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
We use 99% Isopropanol in our fountain solutions for our offset sheet fed presses. We buy 5 gallon cans from Mac Papers our paper supplier.

player

Acetone will work. It is not as mild as alcohol so you have to be a little careful around plastic and not leave it to dry on painted surfaces out in the sun (wet rag - dry rag). In the paint & body shop we used it all the time for cleaning just about everything.

Just picked up the last gallon of 70% in Tractor Supply. If they have it it is in the Animal area. Wish they had 91%. It's humid in Florida and the 70% evaporates leaving the water behind.

For the past week, I have been adding 30% Acetone to stretch my supply.

I stopped using acetone when I found out it is really bad for humans. It is also a major defatting agent. We stopped using it in the '90's when I learned about it and switched to the 99% isopropyl.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I stopped using acetone when I found out it is really bad for humans. It is also a major defatting agent. We stopped using it in the '90's when I learned about it and switched to the 99% isopropyl.
We got a shakedown on a job by an MSHA officer last year. He got on me about cleaning our hands with laquer thinner and said we need to switch to acetone. Something about the molecular chain and how it effects your body. We switched in the field and shop to acetone because of this. Was he wrong?

player

We got a shakedown on a job by an MSHA officer last year. He got on me about cleaning our hands with laquer thinner and said we need to switch to acetone. Something about the molecular chain and how it effects your body. We switched in the field and shop to acetone because of this. Was he wrong?
I would say the lesser of 2 evils. I would use alcohol. But any of the thinners including alcohol are called defatting agents. They remove all the oils from your skin. After a while the skin looses the ability to produce oil for ever, and the skin becomes all red and sore and cracked and bleeding. There are also health risks to the lungs etc. when the fumes are inhaled (not so much alcohol). If I say it's bad for you, there will be a number of people here tell you about a 90 year old who used it every day and never had a problem. But I don't expose myself to chemicals if I can help it.

Last edited:

2B

Are there any sources that are still carrying alcohol?
we typically use isopropyl alcohol, but at this point, we are open to suggestions and options

Are there any sources that are still carrying alcohol?
we typically use isopropyl alcohol, but at this point, we are open to suggestions and options

If you keep striking out, just pick some Rapid Prep and Rapid Tac. That's what we've been doing. Rapid Prep cleans surfaces extremely well and they both have a much more pleasant smell than isopropyl alcohol.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Interesting to see this thread revived. We have had not problem getting our 55 gallon drums from Barton Solvents here in the Midwest. I think, like many things with this pandemic, this is a supply chain issue. The alky is out there and plentiful, it's the retail stores that can't keep it on the shelves.

I really don't think it goes bad - at least not the 99%. Maybe it's time for some of you to buy a lifetime supply...

Stacey K

I like making signs
Interesting to see this thread revived. We have had not problem getting our 55 gallon drums from Barton Solvents here in the Midwest. I think, like many things with this pandemic, this is a supply chain issue. The alky is out there and plentiful, it's the retail stores that can't keep it on the shelves.

I really don't think it goes bad - at least not the 99%. Maybe it's time for some of you to buy a lifetime supply...
Just bought a 5 gallon pail, not a lifetime supply but should get me by for a good while! lol

2B

If you keep striking out, just pick some Rapid Prep and Rapid Tac. That's what we've been doing. Rapid Prep cleans surfaces extremely well and they both have a much more pleasant smell than isopropyl alcohol.

We have both of the Rapid products, very handy and are used often.

The alcohol is more for general prep/cleaning and much cheaper