• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

There goes my cutting strip!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
In a pinch I have used a thin strip of magnetic material and some banner tape.

wayne k
guam usa

Flame

Well, that explains a lot. When cutting it do you set blade depth as you would normal vinyl or just wing it and not care if you're scoring the backing?

Set blade depth, but mistakes happen, forget what media you put in etc. Considering, by my math, I've ran 130,000+ square feet of vinyl through this plotter....no surprise that added up quickly to just decimate my poor cutting strip.

Techman

goto mcmasters and order a 1/16 x 36 x 24 thick strip of hdpe $15 bux.
it will be a lifetime supply of wear strip.

ProWraps

flame, i suprised as sh*t your fc7000 hasnt stripped the motor gear. that model has a plastic gear. from what i know, its specific to the fc7000 and our old fc7000 stripped it.

i know you cut stuff that none of us do on the level and frequency that you do so i can understand your need and the wear on your plotter.

i hope you figure it out. just watch that gear!

Flame

Ok baffled....cleaned it up good and layed down some THICK vinyl like I was saying. Feels smooth across there, and yet my cuts are still insanely inconsistent. Like will cut too deep on one part and barely through the laminate on the other part. Did I really just not lay it down well enough or could I possibly have another problem to deal with?

Not my blade, tried 3 different ones, all doing the same thing. Soooooooooooooooooooooo, I'm stumped here :/

btw you guys are awesome for following this and helping me. Muchas Gracias Amigas.

phototec

Graphtec cutting strips

I just ordered new cutting strips, one each for my Graphtec CE3000 and FC7000 last Thursday from Signwarehouse, CE 3000 $20 and the FC7000 $25, also ordered a roll of application tape to meet the min for FREE shipping. The CE3000 cutting strip was shipped Friday and the FC7000 strip was back ordered, however they said they should have one from Graphtec in three days.

Graphtec sells the strips directly on there web site, however I would have to pay $11 shipping.

As far as teh damage under the cutting strip, I don't think it is a big deal, you could probably just install the new strip over the damage. However, I like to take care of my equipment (as it will take care of you), so in your case I would fill the damage with Bondo epoxy putty that dries in 10 minutes, sand smooth, remove any dust with shop vac and install new cutting strip!

BTW:

To place an order direct from Graphtec, you can simply send your message to orders@graphtecamerica.com with;
Item Needed:
Quantity:
Your Credit Card Information (or Phone Number):
·Type of Credit Card
·Card Number
·Expiration Date
·CVV2/CID# (3 digit security code on the back of Visa/MC, 4 digit code on the front of Amex)
·Name that appears on the card

royster13

Does the HDPE work as good as teflon?...I see it is the fraction of the price of PTFE...Also does a difference in thickness matter much? For my GCC cutters, the strips are .6mm thick (less than 1/40")....

PS...Free shipping from Signwarehouse?.....Hmmm...

gabagoo

I know when I replace my teflon strip, all the adhesive is left behind and I have to roll my thumb slowly over the 53" span to remove it before installing the new strip. I will assume you removed all the leftover adhesive?

I was having issues with cutting and realized over time I was slowly allowing more and more of the blade to be exposed. I then went back to basics and now have the blade out so little the only way I can see it is to use my Edge bomb site. I then just apply more pressure to cut and it seems to have solved the inconsistant cutting woes. The only issue now is that I have to test cut a lot more to make sure it cuts deep enough, but the weeding has improved.

nopalito24

First, the reason is 35 bucks is because it can w/stand 4 yrs of abuse.
The teflon strip is your cutting surface, below that you have what called the teflon mat base.
Call Gaphtec and ask for a part # for the Teflon mat/ base assy. and give them your exact model, I would have given it to you but you didn't say the exact model. This part is a teflon mat base(the plastic peace under the teflon, and a teflon strip already applied for direct replacement).
So bascally if your base has a few scratches on it smooth them out w/ a
the rubben handle of a screw driver as best as you can. if its really cut into where you see a groove then you must replace it because your new cutting surface(teflon mat) will sit on top of that. fyi...

Brands Imaging

I'm really sorry but I need to resurrect this thread with 1 question....
If my teflon mat base had heavy scratches and grooves are we doing something wrong?!?
Or is that just what happens when cutting thick material?

Yes I have found a few places to obtain the thin teflon strips. Question is more.... does the plastic piece it goes on, need replacing? Or think it will be fine kind of chewed up.

Then of course, if it needs replacing, WTH do you find such a thing.

It must have been a week for 7000. I too was in need of the Teflon strip this week, and i bought a new Roland peel and stick ( even thought mine is a graphtec). When I removed the old torn to shreds strip my under neath also has the deep groove that runs the full length in the black strip so I am guessing it is suppose to be there, anyways I cleaned off all the glue from the old peel and stick and put on the new and also changed out the blade and barley exposed the tip and now cutting at 14 and it is working like a dream