• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Thermal printing on 651 matte / 631

Awd_GT

Has anyone printed on matte oracal 651 or even 631?
I have a lot of stock of it and didn't know if it would be safe to thermally print on. I didn't want to risk feeding it through the machine if it will create any damage.
Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you test a piece of it, since you have so much of it ?? A few feet of samples certainly won't hurt you.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Oracal lists the 651 series as Thermal Print Compatible. The 631 series, however, is not listed for that use. In fact, next to "Printability," it says NA.
You'll be fine printing on 651. I wouldn't bother with the 631 for anything other than maybe a protective layer for parts unless you do a lot of cut vinyl temporary graphics.

Awd_GT

the 631 would be basically to stylize wall decals for my children's room. Thanks for the quick replies!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You really can't hurt a thermal printer, in that way. The resin will either stick..... or not. If it's dirty vinyl, that's a different story. Then you could scratch your heads.

Billct2

Agree. I don't think I've ever heard of any vinyl damaging an Edge, plenty that don't work.

Alex P

To be honest I print via my FX on any PVC based vinyl (Mainly Hexis brand) with no issues at all. Even the Vinyl FX foil based is okay on my FX. The main thing to look out for is cleanliness, the foil will stick or won't. Most polyester vinyls are a problem but the foils use to great effect are the vinyl FX ones.