• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thermal vs Inkjet

Mosh

Happy with what I have spent on 3 54" rolands and 1 30" roland all running eco-sol.
Got the fist one over 5 years ago and it is still pulling it's weight.

FatCat

I went through the same debate over a year ago before deciding to purchase my Mutoh. Any way you slice it, the bottom line is it will cost you more (2X-3X more) to produce most items on the Summa as it would any big name inkjet.

Thermal is a good solution for some specialty items, but if you're planning on doing common things like banners, decals, vehicle graphics etc. you will have a hard time competing (price-wise) against someone with an inkjet.

Colin

Any way you slice it, the bottom line is it will cost you more (2X-3X more) to produce most items on the Summa as it would any big name inkjet.

Thermal is a good solution for some specialty items, but if you're planning on doing common things like banners, decals, vehicle graphics etc. you will have a hard time competing (price-wise) against someone with an inkjet.

Even when factoring in lamination? Which brings me to another question: Can the "Big Squeegee" truly & fully replace a lamination machine? Doesn't a lamination machine provide a level of pressure sometimes required, which can't be acheived with a BS?

:help

Thanks.

we have a gerber edge fx and a roland vp540i, couldn't live without either of them! we also have a cx-24 plotter and a diage solo laminater, again, items that are extremly useful!
thermal on one hand is great for smaller run items, no ink drying time, specialty colors(metallics etc) and great print quality, the roland is perfect for banners, posters, general signage where the edge can't compete.

Colin

Thermal on one hand is great for smaller run items, no ink drying time, specialty colors (metallics etc) and great print quality. The roland is perfect for banners, posters, general signage where the edge can't compete.

Ya, it's starting to look like having both is ideal, but that's not a possibility for me & my sitution. Thanks for the input.

well, you have to work out what your client base will be. are you looking at doing more banners/genreal signage or some smaller items? if i were you and limited on space i would look into something like a roland sp300. if you can push it i would always recommend the 54" version, however i have no idea how much space is available to you.

VTSigns

There is no doubt that a solvent printer is going to be more versatile. I would look into Roland. Most Rolands will give you print/cut capability and you can't beat the quality of their machines. I had a Mutoh for a couple years and switched to Roland. Roland will beat the socks off a Mutoh any day of the week even if they are more expensive. I have a Gerber Edge FX as well. I agree with the previous post about having a great need for both. The Edge is great for spot color decals and quick little short jobs. They both have their place in a shop. I would never get rid of my Edge. If you have a solvent printer you have to get a laminator as well. You can try and go cheap with all kinds of gadets (liquid lam, big squeegee, ect) but nothing is going to replace a laminator. Good luck.

Malkin

Rushworks, your setup is nearly identical to ours, and I agree that it's hard to imagine not having both. We got our Edge about 10 years ago and it was good to us. If I was starting out on my own with the current market trends, (and was choosing only piece of equipment) I think I would go straight to the eco-sol printer/cutter and outsource the specialty items to someone else (like Fred).

Of course, your mileage may vary...

Colin

There is no doubt that a solvent printer is going to be more versatile. I would look into Roland. Most Rolands will give you print/cut capability and you can't beat the quality of their machines. I had a Mutoh for a couple years and switched to Roland. Roland will beat the socks off a Mutoh any day of the week even if they are more expensive. I have a Gerber Edge FX as well. I agree with the previous post about having a great need for both. The Edge is great for spot color decals and quick little short jobs. They both have their place in a shop. I would never get rid of my Edge. If you have a solvent printer you have to get a laminator as well. You can try and go cheap with all kinds of gadets (liquid lam, big squeegee, ect) but nothing is going to replace a laminator.

Thanks for that.

As to the part that I underlined: "Why?" (see my post #4). Why isn't a Big Squeegee sufficient?

hey malkin, yeah, agreed if i had to do it all again from scratch!! i got i plotter first(cx24) then 2 years later looked at a printer. it took me roughly nearly a year to finally decide what to get. i went to distributers of both gerber and roland, i went to see them in production at sign shops and finally decided the edge would meet our needs more at that time. within a year of having the edge i wanted an inkjet too! finally got one 5 years later!! got the roland vp540i afew months back and love it. got a 55" diage solo laminater to go hand in hand with it...although am having big issues laying down laminate over a few feet without it geting screwed up!
anyways, to the op, with an inkjet you do need a laminater, if you can't fit a laminater in your shop/work area, get yourself a bs and use that for now.

GB2

Old Member
The Big Squegee is a great, great tool...but not for lamination. You can do some limited lamination with it but if lamination is what you desire, than a laminator is required.

Malkin

I think that it's because it's practically impossible to get enough pressure, evenly, to apply the laminate without getting the silvering effect of the tiny little air bubbles. Esp. true for cast lam.

However, others say that it "goes away" within 24hrs,
so.. :help

I have not actually used one, just read a ton about them on here. I do want one for mounting though, I would bet that works great.

2Piece

I really like my Summa DC4. I choose to go thermal because every shop in town has a large format ink jet, I wanted to do things they could not do. On the other hand I can sub out large ink jet prints for less than it would cost me to make them if I had my own ink jet. Just seems to me that the thermal market is not as low ball as the ink jet market is.

Colin

Right now, a new DC4sx is going for about $15,000.00 in Canada, with free shipping, unlimited tech support, and free training (but only at their store).

GB2

Old Member
I'll tell you what....the Big Squeegee is cost effective enough that if you don't have one you should definately order one and try it out, then you can answer your own questions. In a pinch you can laminate small pieces of material but you could never laminate more than you can place on a table at one time. In other words there is no chance of laminating a roll of material. Why? Because like has been said you can't get enough or even enough pressure to do the job properly. You almost always will get some imperfection in the laminate application, whether it is silvering, bubbles, streaks, cloudy application, etc. Plain and simple, if you need to laminate, you need a laminator.

Now the Big Squeege is excellent for applying digital prints to substrates, I can't even imagine what I would do if I didn't have one for that purpose.

Colin

In a pinch you can laminate small pieces of material but you could never laminate more than you can place on a table at one time. In other words there is no chance of laminating a roll of material. Why? Because like has been said you can't get enough or even enough pressure to do the job properly. You almost always will get some imperfection in the laminate application, whether it is silvering, bubbles, streaks, cloudy application, etc. Plain and simple, if you need to laminate, you need a laminator.

I'm thinking that as I really don't think I'd be needing to laminate anything over the length of 8', (or it would be extremely rare) if I could get away with a Big Squeegee for lamination, an inkjet is a possible candidate for me over thermal.

FatCat

I don't have a laminator, only a 54" BS. Unless you're trying to laminate a wrap, with enough practice, a BS is sufficient. I'm currently also in the market for a laminator, but everything that seems decent is at least $5k. Just don't have it right now...

Again, your decision is your own, make it based on YOUR needs. Not mine or anyone else's. I was about 90% ready to pull the trigger on a Summa DC4x until I realized (from others) how expensive they are to operate. These days prices are getting more and more competitive. I think you'll have a hard time justifying the expense of thermal printing unless you're doing something VERY specialized.

Just my .02¢