• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thinking about 5S

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm seriously in need of making changes in my operations. In an earlier post, I asked if anybody used methods of lean manufacturing.

After searching the web for where I should begin, I found a method called 5S (that's the number five and the letter "S").

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5S_(methodology)

Jim

Milo

I was fortunate to have worked at a national sign company with several locations. The corporate adaption of the lean manufacturing concept was ingrained in us as manager's and then we taught and trained our departments on its methods. This applied from the offices to the plant floor. It does work, but you have to take the principles and adapt them to your situation. Most of it is instinctive and common sense anyway.

The quick explanation of a 5 S is from the 5 Japanese words which mean: Sort, Set in Order, Shine, Standardize, Sustain. It works in a small shop, plants, hospitals, offices. If I could sum it up for you:

Get rid of any clutter & anything that does not have a contributing function to your organization. Junk, scrap, equipment etc. This is the HARD part because of the "I'll use it some day..." thinking.

Organize everything else based on job function. What's needed, how many, where to locate. Everything has a place. Then you label and mark everything. Peg boards, bins, hangers, etc. When you need it you know exactly where to go.

Clean up everything. No dirt, no clutter, all the brass shines, all the chrome shines, the floor is shined. A one time gang buster of a cleaning. The principle is " You want a first class place to come to work". Even if it is in your garage.

Everything is now "set" so you standardize your process. Do the same thing over and over. Tools in location, no clutter, established processes are followed repeatedly every day.

Sustain the entire concept.

Hope I didn't bore you.

James Burke

What kind of changes do you need to make in particular?

Just overall good organization. Seems any horizontal surface in my shop is at risk of becoming a catch all. When I do onsite work, I usually take most of my shop with me and upon return, it's always a battle to get things put back in order. Creating a designated place for everything is going to be my first priority.

This is the HARD part because of the "I'll use it some day..." thinking.

Milo, that is the bane of most every creative person on the face of this earth. I've looked around at many of my "non-creative" friends, and they don't seem to be dealing with that problem for some reason....they're just too busy living life, I guess.

Anyway, I'm in one of my "pitching" moods this weekend, and I've made some good progress so far. Clutter can be such an energy drain.

Do you know where I can find the five Japanese symbols for 5S in vectored format? I'd like to cut them in vinyl and put them on my shop window as a daily reminder. I found a very small photo, but it's not good enough to do a trace from.

Thanks,

Jim

P.S. I found a website that I can copy the text in Japanese but I don't have that font...anybody know where I can find a Japanese font?

P.S.S. Copied the text into MS word and it automatically came up in a Japanese font called MS Mincho...then copied that into Illustrator and found a few other varient fonts in Illy that look a little cooler. I couldn't imagine trying to vector that long hand. I've attached a better photo.

Attachments

• 5S Japanese Writing.jpg
    5S Japanese Writing.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

CES020

A couple of points to add (I was the chief 5S guy for a manufacturing plant in the USA and one in Canada)... it's all good stuff to do, period.

Two things that will help you a lot. Visual Management. Does as much through Visual Management as you can. It will save you countless hours each week. If you truly "get" Visual Management, it's wonderful to live and experience.

Second thing- look up "Muda". Work on that concept. I have disagreements often with a guy that's been around a lot longer than I have. We disagree because I look at everything from the perspective of "does it have value" and he looks at it from the "We did it where I used to work".

If it doesn't have value in moving the ball forward, then don't do it.

My recommendations- Visual Management and Muda. Master those and you'll be light years ahead of the game.

Tony Teveris

Gerber has gone through a number of 5Sing processes - we now do not even own a Gerber 4B Signmaker, Sprint and many other early champions - you would not believe the material, tools, computers, power supplies, etc we threw out. They even attempted to 5S my office – I think it's just busy work for someone.

CES020

Remember, this has nothing to do with "throwing everything out" (that's a common phrase used by people that don't understand it and don't want to do it). It has to do with keeping what you need. And example would be if you have a work bench and it stays cluttered with fixtures or tools that you use once or twice a year. Those tools have no place on a work bench you use for daily production. The goal is to have the tools you use daily, all at your fingertips, and to have the tools you use every so often available, but not clogging up your space.

We had 75 years worth of fixtures. Only a very small number of them made it into the dumpster, and they did because the products were no products we owned (sold the rights to them). If you wanted to make the things that got made every 3 years, you had to go further into storage to get them then you would if it were something made several times a year. And the things made daily or weekly were always within reach.

It's about becoming efficient, not being stupid and throwing out everything that isn't nailed down.

James Burke

Gerber has gone through a number of 5Sing processes - we now do not even own a Gerber 4B Signmaker, Sprint and many other early champions - you would not believe the material, tools, computers, power supplies, etc we threw out. They even attempted to 5S my office – I think it's just busy work for someone.

Give me a holler when you get ready to pitch out the GS & HS 15's. I'll even pick them up!:cool1:

jiarby

I did a website for a six sigma weenie some years ago and created this graphic for one of his pages...

Attachments

• 5s.jpg
    5s.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 91

Custom_Grafx

Here you go... sorry hadn't kept an eye on this thread - just so happens I can help you there :rock-n-roll:

See attached.

Left is font - which you probably don't have... right side is outlined.

have fun :)

Attachments

• 5S vector and type.pdf
    320 KB · Views: 165

andy

I don't know what I need to keep and what is safe to throw away because my customers don't order standarised products made from a stock range of raw materials.

My shop is jammed with sheet materials, remnants of stainless steel, pieces of Brass, mountains of perfectly usable Plexiglas in every colour imaginable. I'll happily swap a pristine, surgically scrubbed workshop for a factory space packed with thousands of dollars worth of FREE raw materials.

I've lost count of the jobs which have been produced using raw materials which cost me nothing or almost nothing... I even buy scraps and off cuts from my suppliers at huge reductions... they want a squeaky clean workshop... I love getting my hands on perfectly usable raw materials at a 75% discount.

A messy workspace is in my experience a sign of a busy, profitable business.... where there's muck there's Brass and all that.... scrap yards are never a beauty to behold by you never see a poor scrap yard owner :)

CES020

Andy, your perception of what 5S is, is incorrect. In my post above, I mentioned that it's a misconception that 5S means to throw everything out. It doesn't mean that at all. It means getting organized, not throwing good material out. In your situation, you'd make a home for those materials that aren't used often, and get them out of your way (if they are in your way at all). You'd keep the things you use most often, most accessible. It doesn't mean much more than that.

No need to throw things out you could use. And a well organized shop can always out produce a cluttered, messy shop. Don't discount how much time you waste looking for things. It could add up into the 100's of hours a year quite easily in a unorganized shop.

RMXGRAPHIX

Don't do it. I have been involved with this fad or flavor of the week for many years. It starts out great then fails. You can do it yourself with out the cost involved by taking 10 or 15 minutes a day to "sort" out what you need or get rid off. The final "S" is sustain and it has never happened in the 9 years since I was introduced to the program. Once again it fails terribly. If you are set on lean I am sure there is a lot better programs out there....jR

James Burke

Don't do it. I have been involved with this fad or flavor of the week for many years. It starts out great then fails. You can do it yourself with out the cost involved by taking 10 or 15 minutes a day to "sort" out what you need or get rid off. The final "S" is sustain and it has never happened in the 9 years since I was introduced to the program. Once again it fails terribly. If you are set on lean I am sure there is a lot better programs out there....jR

I don't have any intentions of purchasing a turn key program. It's easy enough to implement the methods on my own...tailored to my own needs, of course.

Mosh

I guess my shop would be the opposite of this, we never sell or get rid of anything. I have every peice of equipment I have ever bought, running or not. I guess someday American Pickers will make my kids rich!!!