• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thinking about buying a router

Anyone have any suggestions? Or have one for sale...I have absolutely no experience with a router...I just know we need one....where do I start?

:thankyou:

I'm thinking 4x8 size...to marry to our flatbed

HulkSmash

Multicam gives you the best bang for your buck. awesome machines starting at about 55k. If you're going to be using it in congruence with your flatbed, you'll need the camera system as well.

Joe Crumley

Dave,

I'm a router guy who made my way from hand lettering to cut vinyl. I'm still using a brush but converted to a router based sign business.

While there are some excellent routers on the market I personally know how difficult the search can be.

After owning several CNC's, I believe there's no reason a small sign shop needs to spend over 45K. At the same time I wouldn't buy a bolt together unit either. I started out that way. There are plenty good medium priced units.

Here are a few considerations.

Gantry height. A CNC should have at least 6" clearance. I often route 6" rough cedar. This leaves Gerber out of the market.
Router or Spindle. You really need a spindle.
Good Software. You'll need to invest in a good one like Vetric or ArtCam. They sell from $2,000 to $8,000
Support. Some CNC's mfg's have good support and assistance getting started. You'll need lots of assistance so consider who you are buying from.

Here are a couple of medium priced manufacturers.
Shopsabre & Techno.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Joe Crumley

signman0808

I've owned an ez-router for over 10 years, work horse of a machine!Check them out at ez-router.com

Feel free to call me to discuss....

Richard
Sign Crafters
Victoria, Tx

Joe Crumley

Richard is on the right track. They make an excellent piece of equipment but there is very little support. You can get one of these for about $15,000 with a spindle.

This is a CNC ready to go. No bolt together frame. The resolution isn't as tight as Techno but close.

UFB Fabrication

How often will you use it? Will you make enough signs to off set the cost? Do you have the space? Do you have a separate are to keep away from the dust and noise? I would bet most shops dont do enough to off set the cost. Sub it out and save yourself the headache. BTW we have a Multicam that runs 8 hours a day. Indestructible.....

petepaz

we have been tossing this purchase around as well but for what we would need to do and the size we want we are looking towards multicam and vision

tbullo

Superunknown
We have been using a CamTech Z7 for about 13 years trouble free. I think that AXYZ sells or owns them now. Maybe visit a shop that has one and watch what it takes to program and operate one. A few of the smaller shops around here just come to us for there routing needs to avoid the start up expense of buying one. That being said, they are real money makers.

encadtech

You are going to want to have someone to turn to when your machine has an issue. Like all mechanical things - they brake. If you are a break fix it type of person - you can do maintenance on your own. If not - make sure you can get help if you need it. There are several companies that produce routers in the 10k-12k price range. Call them - see if they pick up the phone. Ask them for their opinion. For the software side of things - IMO - Vectric V-Carve is the go to starter software package. Price is right and functionality is awesome.

skyhigh

This is a CNC ready to go. No bolt together frame. The resolution isn't as tight as Techno but close.

Joe, I've seen you refer to "no bolt together frame" machines on a few occasions. I also see you spending quite a bit of time on the SB forum (used to anyways....I'm not there often).

I find it hard to believe that you could recommend anyone's "customer service" over that of SB's.......that in addition to the wealth of knowledge on that forum (rivals signs101...but the subject matter, of course, is dwarfed in comparison).

If the "bolt together frame" is an issue, then weld it on up. Heck, you can even weld some panels around the base, throw a paint job on it (although I like the blue) and make it look like a multicam. In our line of work, I don't believe anyone would notice a difference in performance,output quality, or tolerances.

Now, I went with the wider table @ 5 ft x 8ft size, and don't regret that decision. I also went with a spindel (best $4k I've ever spent), and have added other toys since my purchase (just got a dust collection system that can handle the entire shop). I must have almost $30k in everything.

I won't begin to compare my talents against yours....... you are a fine craftsman. But I don't believe your machine will do anything mine can not. If you're looking for super high tolerances and speed, then go buy a $200k thermwood. If your a signmaker, then go buy a SB.

The video's I've watched on the Zund's look impressive tho. If I were looking to buy again, I would check them out.....then probably buy another SB for what I do.

Last edited: