• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thinking of taking the plunge and getting away from Corel

J

john1

Lately i have become annoyed with receiving customer files made in Illustrator and Photoshop and them opening goofy in Corel. Most of the time Corel Draw doesn't give me much grief but it does have it's times.

Corel X6 is great software but i really am thinking of buying the $1300 Adobe Suite that has Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop in it.

I used Adobe products at a guys shop for a while that has a print shop and i really think Photoshop blows Photopaint out of the water as far as opening up PSD files and TIFF files. Maybe i am just inexperienced in Photopaint but i just feel like it's so blah and it's really held me back due to not being able to open up files that were designed in Photoshop correctly.

In Photopaint to do effects (stroke, outter glow ect) it's 50 steps vs Photoshop's effects which are super easy to do.

Thoughts?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Can't go wrong buying the Adobe suite if you have to deal with clients files all the time.
No matter how good Corel gets it will never be as good as Adobe when it comes to opening Adobe generated files.

wayne k
guam usa

Flame

That sounds ridiculous. You are buying Adobe just to open files? Buy a cheap older version of ai just to open files like I did ($50, ebay, gotta love it). You'll lose thousands buying the Adobe suite then LEARNING how to use it. Yes Photoshop kicks photopaints butt, but Illustrator vs. CorelDraw? Makes Illy look archaic.

Seriously sounds like you're buying into Adobe hype. Do what you want, but figured I'd throw in my $0.02 that it wouldn't be a wise decision.

SignManiac

That sounds ridiculous. You are buying Adobe just to open files? Buy a cheap older version of ai just to open files like I did ($50, ebay, gotta love it). You'll lose thousands buying the Adobe suite then LEARNING how to use it. Yes Photoshop kicks photopaints butt, but Illustrator vs. CorelDraw? Makes Illy look archaic.

Seriously sounds like you're buying into Adobe hype. Do what you want, but figured I'd throw in my $0.02 that it wouldn't be a wise decision.

+1

J

john1

Well I know Adobe very well, Have used it since 2006 but switched to Corel last year. Used it at a friends business and really don't trust eBay as there's tons of pirated copies there.

Let's face it, nobody designs wraps or anything with raster images for wide format in photo paint....

Christian @ 2CT Media

Paintshop Pro is more of a comparison to Photoshop than photopaint... They have a deal right now for $79 you can get the ultimate edition. It opens PSDs, PSBs, and Tiffs flawlessly and handles RAW files much better than Photoshop.

royster13

Can't go wrong buying the Adobe suite if you have to deal with clients files all the time.
No matter how good Corel gets it will never be as good as Adobe when it comes to opening Adobe generated files.

wayne k
guam usa

+1.....

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm all for jumping to Adobe. But to be sure, download the free trial at Adobe and give it a whirl for 30 days. During that time, begin doing comparisions of the (short term and long term) costs and benefits of migrating.

Believe it or not, I'm considering spending $800 on another design program I currently don't own...just for one feature. I may discover more features not found in the trial version after I purchase. My four other design programs (ACAD2000i, AICS5, PSCS5 & SL8) can not do this function nearly as well. But with that said, each of the other four programs are equally important in their own sphere of capabilities within our business model.

JB

Techman

wait until you have to pay another few hundred bux to get the plug ins for illy.,
IE: Better handles, and xtreme paths for two that wil make your life easier....
That are included in Corel.

Then lets see how much better illy is than Corel draw.

acothran

...Buy a cheap older version of ai just to open files like I did....

I have an older version of Illustrator and Photoshop (CS3) and I often get EPS or AI files from other designers that were created in a newer version and I can't open them, or they will open but are not functional. PSD files in Photoshop is not problem but having an older version of Illy is not fun.

Allen

royster13

I see so many AI CS6 files these days that older versions will not open....So in my opinion having the current version is almost a must if that is what your clients are using....

As far as Corel vs Illustrator......I keep hearing one is better than the other, however, I have never seen a demonstration to prove it one way or the other....

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
wait until you have to pay another few hundred bux to get the plug ins for illy.,
IE: Better handles, and xtreme paths for two that wil make your life easier....
That are included in Corel.

Then lets see how much better illy is than Corel draw.
His main issue is how Draw or PPaint deal with files made by Adobe products.
He does not have to stop setting up his own files in Draw if he is more productive there.

Most mechanics worth their salt have more than a pair of vice grips and a crescent wrench in their toolboxes.

wayne k
guam usa

J

john1

I just feel also adobe photoshop is better for our industry when it comes to designs

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I just feel also adobe photoshop is better for our industry when it comes to designs

You lost me on this one.
The level of competence/creativity of the user carries the design and not so much the application he/she uses to get there.

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

Bly

wayne k
guam usa

I haven't used Corel for years and haven't missed it either.

rjssigns

I enjoy how quickly the conversation degrades into a flame war when someone mentions Corel and Adobe in the same sentence. Sounds like a bunch of 8 year olds on the playground.

This is what we do: When a designer or client supplies files we tell them either EPS or PDF.(especially designers) In some instances a high res JPG will do. If they cannot supply that there is a charge to make the files usable. And I fully understand there are exceptions to every rule, but this has worked well for us.