• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

This is how to convert sp300 to sp300v

martfarm

Power off machine and unplug, remove back cover. on the left of the board is a row of dim switches. switch dim 7 to on [ second to the left is dim 7 ] replace cover. power up in service mode. in the service mode go to system switches. scroll to page 10. change the read out [ should look like this 10000000 ] to 10000100. press enter. restart machine in normal way and it is now a sp300v and will work on versaworks [ i have ver 4.1 free to download off roland and no dongle needed] you just need to start versaworks and add printer. will select itself if you change to usb thks

martfarm

thats all you have to do then it comes up as 300v on lcd on printer, versaworks then sees it as a 300v, if you try to use colorrip again that will not print because its a 300v and colorip is for sp300. Both models use the same firmware [ im using 7.30 ] both have the same heads DX4 same capping station/dampers/ pipe/ motherboard / inks/ etc, pump dont make it print any better.

Jim Hill

I have an SP-300 and I use colorip and everything works fine.

What are the reasons most people want to change their machine?

I should say that I also have VersaWorks but have never tried to use it or to change the machine.

My rip program seems to do everything I did it to do so why make the change?

Jim Hill

m303625

Good question, I too have color rip 2.2 and have no real issues with it, but if versa works is a better product then I would consider changing. Has anyone been able to verify this fix yet?
any arguments for or against appreciated

martfarm

Hi heres a copy of a message from stillasdust how i added the same instructions to on his earlier thread
stillhasdust said:
Very cool. It worked for sure. I struggled with that for a month and I couldnt figure it out.

imp

Power off machine and unplug, remove back cover. on the left of the board is a row of dim switches. switch dim 7 to on [ second to the left is dim 7 ] replace cover. power up in service mode. in the service mode go to system switches. scroll to page 10. change the read out [ should look like this 10000000 ] to 10000100. press enter. restart machine in normal way and it is now a sp300v and will work on versaworks [ i have ver 4.1 free to download off roland and no dongle needed] you just need to start versaworks and add printer. will select itself if you change to usb thks
martfarm can you confirm the change to 10000100.
My SP300 was initially on 01000000 not the 10000000 you mentioned.

I gave what you said a go and no joy. Still the same "Cannot find information the ink set used in the device detected. Please make sure the software supports the ink set."

I am using a 4.x versaworks and I uninstalled color rip and even tried reinstalling the SP300V driver. I am running out of ideas ;)

Oh and for those wanting to try this out to get into service mode for the SP300 its;
-Main Power on
-down, right, left, up, right, down, left
-hold the left, right, down and front panel power.

imp

Confirmed it does work here are the steps broken down a bit more;

- Power off machine and unplug, remove back cover ( right one where the power is )
- On the mainboard on the top left there is a very small row of dim switches. Switch dim 7 to on [ second to the left is dim 7 ]
- replace cover
- Enter service mode;
Main Power on,
down, right, left, up, right, down, left,
hold the left, right, down and front panel power.

- You should see the screen quickly flash Service Mode
- Now in the main menu when access like normal there is a Service mode entry, enter it.
- Press Down under the service mode menu until you find system switches and enter it.
- You should see Page 1 with a value similar to 01000000
- Press right until you see Page 10 then change the value using the up and down keys to
"10000100"
- Ext the menu like normal and turn off the machine, probably better to reset everything.

- Power up and you should have joy with Versaworks

Last edited:

imp

lol i was just looking through a suppliers catalog and this "upgrade" is listed as $995AUD wtf it probably takes 30 minutes at most once you know what to do.

martfarm

Hi all you have to do is make sure that the last 3 digits of the read out is changed to 100 hope this helps people out, i thought they charge to much for this £160 + call out fee for a simple task thks

Gabriel

How does that conversion thing helps you? Does the printer prints faster? You have other special function in the menu or what?

splizaat

Once this conversion is done. do you run Eco Sol ink or Eco Sol MAX ink in the sp300 (now converted to sp300v)??

imp

@Mason Who is offering up versaworks? this is just the way to let you use a sp300 with it and avoid an unnecessary tech fee. Yes anyone can buy the software and install it for themselves, this is just the barrier that stops them from doing so.

@Gabriel I wish it printed faster! Versaworks has a very rich feature set and many users have described it as having a more intuitive interface in comparison to colorrip.
You should probably talk to your roland dealer about a demo etc even the roland website has some good info on it.

It can also be helpful for many people who might already have versaworks in a workshop with multiple plotter/printers which are also compatible.

@splizaay sorry when I got a sp300 it was already using eco sol max, I have never had the need to look into what the differences are.

Large Format

Software theft is still a crime

As a Roland dealer I am very disappointed to see this post. Using unlicensed software is theft and wrong. I know a lot of very good people at Flexysign who lost their job because of the massive software theft of their product.

Roland has invested a great deal of time/money and resources to produce and upgrade Versaworks. What you have posted is ethical and morally wrong.
Many dealers have know of this switch for years but have maintained a much higher professional standards then you sir.

Large Format

Software theft is still a crime

As a Roland dealer I am very disappointed to see this post. Using unlicensed software is theft and wrong. I know a lot of very good people at Flexysign who lost their job because of the massive software theft of their product.

Roland has invested a great deal of time/money and resources to produce and upgrade Versaworks. What you have posted is ethical and morally wrong.
Many dealers have know of this switch for years but have maintained a much higher professional standards then you sir.

imp

@Large Format I don't understand, nothing here is condoning the use of unlicensed software. Besides, how the hell would you get a copy of Versaworks without a Roland Dealer or having it from a previous roland printer in the first place? I agree you should pay Roland to use Versaworks it is worth it, I just think that a printer operator can convert their sp300 to a 300v for themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: asd

Mike F

Besides, how the hell would you get a copy of Versaworks without a Roland Dealer or having it from a previous roland printer in the first place?

:banghead: Seriously? Two words: google, and torrents. Doesn't help that they don't even bother with serial numbers or any type of copy protection.

My copy is legit btw, just saying, it's pretty easy to get your hands on a copy if you don't care how.

splizaat

Assuming the SP300 runs firmware v6.30 now (or older)...

Should you flip dim switch/go through service mode, THEN upgrade firmware to 7.30?
OR upgrade firmware on printer to 7.30, then flip dim switch/service mode changes?

Also, is the SP300 and SP300W firmware the same? or do you upgrade to one or the other?