• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

This isn't looking good...major CPA trouble

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I had to have my CPA file for an extension with our taxes this year. I dropped of all my precisely detailed paperwork to him on April 14, and he said it wouldn't be a problem.

Well, today it became a problem.

I've been on him at least four times this summer, and his assistant always assured me "he's still working through the numbers". October 15th came and went, and since I didn't hear back, I thought all was good. Shame on my stupid ignorance.

I arrived at his office today, unannounced, and discovered that they still hadn't been filed. He and his assistant shuffled through mountains of paperwork strewn throughout the office for ten minutes but were unable to find my stuff. I had to leave before I said something, or did something I might regret.

I have a feeling that I'm in for a spanking with the IRS.

JB

binki

Get an attorney to sue the CPA and get a new CPA and possibly and EA to get it straightened out. All penalties and interest should be paid by the old CPA.

John L

Had the same thing happen to me 2 years back. I had the same cpa for 25 years. She just got tired, older, less organized, and each year a little more tardy with it. I think she meant well, just didnt want to let her business go... but was absolutely sick of doing it. ... and I kinda understand, Ha!

You're not in trouble. The nasty-grams will eventually become threatening and then you might be, but not just yet. Print out your reports and take it to a new cpa. Let the current cpa keep going on it with the fire lit under them, whichever one calculates the the more accurate and better outcome for you... file that return. Typically the difference will cover the cost of paying them both to do the work for you. We have done it that way the last 2 years now and my accountants both know that we do that... it makes them more accountable and makes them try harder knowing a peer is on the same case.

WildWestDesigns

I had to have my CPA file for an extension with our taxes this year.

I have a feeling that I'm in for a spanking with the IRS.

Extensions get filed for all the time. Some people have to file, because all of their info for their revenue stream doesn't come in to meet the original deadline.

Yes, there are penalties attached to filing an extension (in some instances the penalty for not filing even an extension is less then filing the extension, ironic), but as far as getting a "spanking", that is remote just on the mere fact of filing an extension. Unless something else is going on or has gone on.

David Wright

My former accountant did much worse. He didn't file quarterlies for most of his clients or send in the checks. These people were getting letters from the IRS and were understandably livid. Major mayhem ensued and a employee of his left and notified us of the meltdown.
This was the beginning of his personal breakdown which ended in suicide.

Techman

why sue? Thats not going to get the taxes done.
Find a new CPA,,
Take your COPIES over there to the new one. And file a complaint with the CPA board if you want revenge.

Jillbeans

Had something very similar occur.
It was the year that the state was allowing a forgiveness (can't remember the right term) on outstanding taxes.
My gal acted like all was under control.
She seemed to be taking an extra long time that year and did not file until the last possible day.
Not only did I incur a $1500 penalty she also f*cked up something from my late husband's retirement and I owed an additional $500 for that.
She never did return my paperwork and I still have the sales tax revenuer guy sniffing around.
I got a new accountant 3 years ago and he's been a Godsend...but I'm still screwed lubeless up the old dirt trail by that last gal.
Always, always double-check if things seem to be delayed yet they act as if all is well.
It's probably not.
Love....Jill

rjssigns

Fired our last accountant many years ago. $150 an hour. Mistakes were no extra charge, and there was a ton of them.

They came highly recommended from several god sources too.

Turned out they had some 16 or 17 year old accountant wannabe's working on taxes after school while the real accountants were out on the golf course.

For our small shop my wife backed up with TurboTax is the ticket. No mistakes and the refunds are bigger.

SignManiac

I fired mine about ten years ago, along with a few more. The one I have now has been great except he told me he plans to retire in five years. Damn.

SD&F

At the least, I would jump on him to file an extension IMMEDIATELY. Then work it out by going to another CPA. It is common for businesses to file extensions. It's not difficult for him to do.

2wheelz

One thing about taxes and tax returns you cannot blame someone else for not getting them done.

Its your tax return and your responsibility in the eyes of the IRS can not blame someone else for not getting it done... its yours.

One question to think about is why on earth are you filing for an extension in the first place? It is just prolonging the inevitable by procrastinating.

Fire the CPA, if he has not filed your taxes in 6 months he sure is not going to pay the IRS fines... you would be better off contacting the CPA association in your state they have peer groups to keep their accreditation, be far more effective if you want to get action or get back at him.