• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Those blasted 18x24 Cor-x signs!

andy

The reason why these little plastic signs are cut throat is because they require little or no skill to produce. You will find that ANY kind of sign which is easy to make will eventually end up in the toilet in terms of price and perceived value.

If someone wants to make these things for 2-5 quid each then let them.... you can't see how they are making money at these prices.... in truth the people doing signs for these stupid prices aren't making money and never will.

If these cheap signs are the key to getting proper work from your customers later on then why not sell them at your standard prices and give your customer a little discount voucher which they can redeem with you when they come back for vehicle graphics or magnets. Draw up a nice voucher with a cash value clearly marked and you create the idea in your customers mind that your piece of paper is as good as cash. Don't use a percentage discount because this doesn't create the same "cash" thinking in your customers mind.

If you had a voucher worth $20 in your wallet you'd want to "spend" it wouldn't you?

signpro

Manager
^not a bad thought... sell at regular price, but give a (small) discount on a bigger job. that could work.

Techman

sheesh
Take the order for 50. Tell them they get 50 more FREE! Only if they wait 5-7 bizz days.
Charge them $350 + shipping

MAke about 200 for your 40 minutes of time.
easy smeasy...

OR, if they want just 10 and they want em to last for a weekend.

Use your tabloid printer, print the paper and stick it on with 3m spray. Clear em with hair spray.. Done..

jscarl

sheesh
Take the order for 50. Tell them they get 50 more FREE! Only if they wait 5-7 bizz days.
Charge them $350 + shipping

MAke about 200 for your 40 minutes of time.
easy smeasy...

OR, if they want just 10 and they want em to last for a weekend.

Use your tabloid printer, print the paper and stick it on with 3m spray. Clear em with hair spray.. Done..

You better copy rite that one Techman. hahsahahaha

SignManiac

Well even though I have a flatbed, I still charge between $20-30 up to ten. They either take it or leave it. Makes no difference to me. I'm still selling design and service.

UFB Fabrication

I hope I dont pizz a bunch of folks off but these so called signs are the scourge of the sign business. Anyone that buys 50 or a hundred of these things are adding visual pollution and creating a bad image for ligit sign companys. They litter the public right of way and are not legal. But if folks keep putting them up tougher sign restrictions will keep coming.

JR's

metallics

I started doing them for free. If I can't make money on them, nobody will.
I think your in my area.

How much time per sign? All of the time? Not merely applying vinyl but schlepping blanks, media, setting the job, wrangling your equipment, etc?

You're working for nothing.

For a one off I get $44 for a single side and $72.80 for two sides. Any design, any colors, cut, print, whatever it takes. The price is the same. Quantity discounts also apply on a curve, sliding down to 10 for $35.90/$58.22.

I despise doing more than one of anything and doing 10 copies is about my maximum limit of pain. Moreover I use only MM opaque UV-proof blanks, not MM trash.

I produce my share of these at those prices. If someone can get it someplace else for less, that's where they should go.
Aymen Bob!

Just figure the math for a moment.

You have people here doing these for $2 to $5. a pop.
You have people here doing these for $44 to $72. a pop.
Do you really want to work 15 times harder or dumber than the guy making one for $72. ??

If ya Ian’t gonna get paid decent, then go fishing and do something ya like for nothing.

I can never figure these people out that want to just get by instead of making a living. Trying to figure out how to compete with dumbness is just plain dumb. Trying to better yourself is doing business and growing. Sure, we all made a sign for next to nothing, but the smart people say, I’ll never do that again…. and don’t, while the dumb ones keep trying to make money by competing with a ghost. There’s always gonna be someone making signs real cheap, but they won’t be in business long if they keep up with that business savvy. However, there’s always gonna be a new guy on the block trying to weasel his/her way into the trade by undercutting everyone else in the neighborhood. Ignore the dumb low ballers and stay above board and you’ll set a pace that others will yearn for eventually.
aymen Gino

What's the problem with simply saying "I don't fool with those". Right there - end of discussion? Let the pregnant pause take place in the conversation, then add something to the effect "there are plenty of people willing to work for next to nothing. I want to still be in business when you need your windows or trucks lettered, so I prefer not to touch no profit jobs". It's honest and to the point. You people spend Way too much time sweating this insignificant small stuff. It's either that or command the prices bob gets and be done with it. If somebody tells 'em you robbed 'em, just repeat "there are plenty of people willing to work for next to nothing. I want to still be in business when you need your windows or trucks lettered, so I prefer not to touch no profit jobs".
right on Arlo

JR

Gordy Saunders

I sell them for $32.00 each s/f, for 1 or for 100. I don't sell signs. I sell advertising.

I print them and use them to advertise my own business services. Everytime I put them out I get all kinds of calls asking how much they cost. I give them the price and there is a long silence and then they'll ask - EACH!!! I say yeah.

They're great for business. They get me all kinds of work. Why would you make something that works so well for other people and not use it yourself.

Start using them yourself - You'll see how much they're worth, and you won't have any problem selling them for the price you should get.