• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on the SGIA show from those who went....

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I only went on Friday to see the expo itself. Drove over early in the morning and drove back home later in the afternoon. Overall I thought it was a good show for the time I was there but was also disappointed to see quote a few vendors, manufacturers, suppliers, distributors, etc that I would have thought would definitely be represented at one of the largest sign shows in the country. Did see some new things I'm interested in and got setup with a couple of new products, met some really nice folks, etc. Very conspicuously missing was SAI?? How is FlexiSign not represented at one of the largest sign shows in the country I don't know. Also missing was Estimate Software, Pro Vehicle Outlines (Cadlink had a booth but they did not display nor had any mention of Pro Vehicle Outlines??? - I realize they are separate). I also did not see a few suppliers that I would have expected to see there like Fellers. Some of the disappointment in SAI not being there for example was I was hoping to take advantage of a shop discount on upgrading to v12 as well as adding another design seat.

So overall I thought it was a good expo but I was disappointed in the lack of interest or whatever that caused some key vendors and suppliers to not even bother to have even the smallest of a booth. I think most all major hardware brands were well represented though. Lots of incredible machines for sure. Stunning to see a flatbed UV printer churning out entire 4x8 sheets in very high quality in what had to be under 60 seconds each!! Some of those big machines (UV flatbeds and of course the 5 meter roll to roll ones) are stunningly massive.

Personally looked really close at the new Summa machines and the new Mimaki's (both of which we have so am very partial to), but also looked close at the other offerings from Seiko, Sid, Roland, etc, and yes I even spent a bit of time looking close at the HP latex machines as well as some of the embroidery and DTG machines.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I, too, was surprised by some of the folks who weren't there- but I was (for the most part) happy with the folks who were there, too.
The biggest problem we're faced with now is whittling down our "wish list".

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
I would echo your thoughts on the "missing vendors". Got there Wed after close and left Fri AM so only had Thurs, too much show for 1 day for sure. Wanted to play around w the HP360 but there booth was mobbed. Got to check out the RollsRoller along with the other mounting table options, that was cool.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I was there representing!! I was in the Gans Ink Booth and met a few fellow 101'ers, it was a big show this year and I did notice many big suppliers decided not to exhibit this year. I will have a big chunk of inventory finally stocked out in Atlanta and if anyone on the East Coast is wanting to see my price guides just let me know and I will get it over to you. Some of the main materials I will have in Chicago and Atlanta will be:

4 Mil UV Gloss and UV Matte Laminate
5 Mil Bubble Free Gloss Permanent Adhesive Vinyl
5 Mil Matte Permanent Adhesive Vinyl
5 Mil Gloss Permanent Adhesive Vinyl
60/40 Perforated Window Vinyl

Anything you guys would like to see inventory on just let me know as I will have a truck that comes out every 2 weeks!

jfiscus

Rap Master
SEMA was also this past weekend, and I know Fellers was there; sometimes I guess they have to pick which show is going to be the best profit resulting show.
I wish I could have went, the owners here went and said they really liked the HPs and that GFP has an even better laminator coming out in April.

T

TonyC

My first..

The wife and I went there on Tuesday and sat in on a class. Wednesday I sat in on a wrap class just to watch and I did learn a couple tricks I didn't know. Got the chance to walk to floor a little Wednesday but saved most of the floor for Thursday.

All I can say is .....damn my legs are tired. That was way too much for 1 day. We had to be back at work Friday so the wife could do payroll.

I spent most of our time comparing the flatbed laminator/applicator tables. I did get to meet most of the vendors we purchase from including shopVOX. I too did miss Fellers as we buy most of our vinyl products from them. I don't believe it is something we will do every year but I did enjoy the chance to actually fondle the products and machines I have only seen in magazines.

We have decided on a flatbed laminator purchase and closed the deal today. I just have to write the check tomorrow.

T

TonyC

The CWT Tools...

CWT Tools seems to be the new kid on the block but they hit a home run. Their machine was built like a tank. It did not shake or move at all. I liked the bearing system for the gantry roller more than the others. I also liked not having the bar across the top of the roller. The pneumatic control of the roller was a step motor. I believe that will make for a safer operating unit. The roller will stop when you let off the button.

They ship disassembled which makes getting it in our shop much easier. Their shipping cost was lower.

On a side note, the CWT people were extremely nice and informative (Texas folks). The Rollover group were nice and knowledgeable. I can't say that for another manufacturer. I cannot say anything about the one at the Royal Soveriegn booth as I did not see it being operated as I looked at it.

Ditchmiester

I spent all day Thursday there and thought it was so massive it was to big for just one day. We were there looking at CNC Routers and UV Printers.

Loved the new Mimaki 7151 Plus wish it would have been available now instead of them saying it should ship in January. We went ahead and ordered a new Mimaki UJF 6042 from Northlight Color. Doug was there at the show and a great help.

Looked at some flatbed laminating tables and really like them but I'm still skeptical.

Haven't been to the show I'm a few years and definitely enjoyed it.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I went to SGIA 2 years ago. I was very disappointed in the number of major sign industry suppliers that were not there. It is definitely more print focused. I vowed to never return to SGIA. I'm sticking with ISA.

HulkSmash

wasn't as good as when they're in vegas. Was at a 3M meeting on thursday and just checked it out friday morning.

3M mains booth was in vegas. Alot of stuff, just not as big as usual.

reQ

CWT Tools seems to be the new kid on the block but they hit a home run. Their machine was built like a tank. It did not shake or move at all. I liked the bearing system for the gantry roller more than the others. I also liked not having the bar across the top of the roller. The pneumatic control of the roller was a step motor. I believe that will make for a safer operating unit. The roller will stop when you let off the button.

They ship disassembled which makes getting it in our shop much easier. Their shipping cost was lower.

On a side note, the CWT people were extremely nice and informative (Texas folks). The Rollover group were nice and knowledgeable. I can't say that for another manufacturer. I cannot say anything about the one at the Royal Soveriegn booth as I did not see it being operated as I looked at it.

What is the total on that table?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
SEMA was also this past weekend, and I know Fellers was there; sometimes I guess they have to pick which show is going to be the best profit resulting show.
I wish I could have went, the owners here went and said they really liked the HPs and that GFP has an even better laminator coming out in April.

The vinyl manufactures, Fellers and a lot of great installers had a huge presence at SEMA. They were really pushing color changes to the consumer side of the auto industry.

T

TonyC

Model 1847

What is the total on that table?

I am getting the largest CWT makes at this time. It is 15' 5" x 5' 11" table. The price advertised at the show is $23,198.

I am also getting the linear cutter package (1/2 off for a show special) and paying for assembly and training. The shipping charge plus the assembly and training (optional) is about the same as others shipping charge.

I tried talking to my CPA before this purchase to find the best method for purchase with taxes in mind. Of course he has been chosen for jury duty so I am just writing a check for now.

reQ

I am getting the largest CWT makes at this time. It is 15' 5" x 5' 11" table. The price advertised at the show is $23,198.

I am also getting the linear cutter package (1/2 off for a show special) and paying for assembly and training. The shipping charge plus the assembly and training (optional) is about the same as others shipping charge.

I tried talking to my CPA before this purchase to find the best method for purchase with taxes in mind. Of course he has been chosen for jury duty so I am just writing a check for now.

Wow, thats a lot. I will bring flatbed laminator from China in january, its 5.11x12 ft, costs me $9700 US delivered to my door (taxes & duties are included)

T

TonyC

Unknown...

I am not one for the unknown. I was able to "fondle" this machine and the others at the show. I KNOW exactly what I am getting.
I bought a cheap laminator from overseas 2 years ago. I did not get the machine that I was shown. It was vastly inferior to what was portrayed. I will not go that route again.

reQ

I understand. But i also was able to try RollOver, CWT & Bobbis tables. Also tried one in China. China table does not have any downsides compare to "bigshots" thats the reason i am importing one.

Steph_Stamm

I only went on Friday to see the expo itself. Drove over early in the morning and drove back home later in the afternoon. Overall I thought it was a good show for the time I was there but was also disappointed to see quote a few vendors, manufacturers, suppliers, distributors, etc that I would have thought would definitely be represented at one of the largest sign shows in the country. Did see some new things I'm interested in and got setup with a couple of new products, met some really nice folks, etc. Very conspicuously missing was SAI?? How is FlexiSign not represented at one of the largest sign shows in the country I don't know. Also missing was Estimate Software, Pro Vehicle Outlines (Cadlink had a booth but they did not display nor had any mention of Pro Vehicle Outlines??? - I realize they are separate). I also did not see a few suppliers that I would have expected to see there like Fellers. Some of the disappointment in SAI not being there for example was I was hoping to take advantage of a shop discount on upgrading to v12 as well as adding another design seat.

Hi SightLine! It's nice to know we were missed! We decided to try out a different tactic for SGIA this year: focusing on supporting our resellers and partners rather than having our own booth. You might have seen us in our green Flexi shirts in other booths like Mutoh's, HP's, US Cutter's, DTG's, and others as we walked the show. While we were able to offer great support in other booths, we heard similar comments to yours that we were missed by resellers that walked the show, as well as end users. We are signed up for ISA in 2016, and will likely sign up for SGIA in 2016 as well.

Andriy

I enjoyed the preview of some of the printers that were coming out soon and definitely nice to see some of the bigger than our Vutek printers operate (Durst).
Incredible to see what those monsters can do pumping out multiple 4x8 sheets under a minute.
The print show was more oriented at actual machinery rather than materials (don't get me wrong there were a bunch of booths with them) so my guess is some vendors being aware of it didn't feel like it would've been as profitable.

sam gha

MDGS

So overall I thought it was a good expo but I was disappointed in the lack of interest or whatever that caused some key vendors and suppliers to not even bother to have even the smallest of a booth. I think most all major hardware brands were well represented though. Lots of incredible machines for sure. Stunning to see a flatbed UV printer churning out entire 4x8 sheets in very high quality in what had to be under 60 seconds each!! Some of those big machines (UV flatbeds and of course the 5 meter roll to roll ones) are stunningly massive.

Personally looked really close at the new Summa machines and the new Mimaki's (both of which we have so am very partial to), but also looked close at the other offerings from Seiko, Sid, Roland, etc, and yes I even spent a bit of time looking close at the HP latex machines as well as some of the embroidery and DTG machines.

I went to SEMA this year instead of SGIA show.
We are already set, finishing purchasing all our machine, even this year adding CNC router with a letter edge bending machine, no more ...... enough spending this year. I'm so sure we I attend I will be tempted to purchase new toys.