• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on this layout

sinetist

This will likely become a sandblasted cedar sign. Critiques welcome.

Attachments

• Picture 11.png
    Picture 11.png
    72 KB · Views: 135

Mosh

ddarlak, that IS the other version!!!!

Lighter grey on the graphic would help, other than that looks good.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Not flowing for me.

Your angles are not inviting - they feel a little harsh - and not in a good way. I don't like the distortion of the letters on the same line (look at the width of your R in both words) I understand it's perspective? But I don't think it's working.

I don't think the fonts are working together well either...

I agree on the black contour around the star, to bring it in line with the boldness of the font. Try something italic on "SPORTS & CLOTHING" with no outline.

Bigdawg

Just Me
My thoughts... used A&S fonts because you did. Sorry for the bad kerning but I threw it together in photoshop. I think my problem with the fonts are they seem to compete with each other.

Attachments

• northroad copy.jpg
    northroad copy.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 95

sinetist

Thanks all. Stacy, I like what you've done there....but....I don't, as yet, have any A&S fonts (I am going to get some though). I was using Variat Display SSI and Eurostile (after trying just about every combination of fonts I have). Are Variat or Eurostile knockoffs of A&S fonts?

I'll do some revising over the next couple of days. This job is two months away before the store is opening. There's a strong possibility that the letters alone will also be cut out and applied to the store front as well as the sandblasted one for a pylon at the mall entrance so I was shying away from anything to delicate for the "sports & clothing" part.

sinetist

I think that compass rose is going to be tough to sandblast. How are you planning to do it?

I was thinking of blasting around that shape then adding a cnc cut alupanel or sintra compass rose on top which would either be painted or have vinyl applied to it. The east/west points would lap over/lay on top of the letters either side.

zmatalucci

I was thinking of blasting around that shape then adding a cnc cut alupanel or sintra compass rose on top which would either be painted or have vinyl applied to it. The east/west points would lap over/lay on top of the letters either side.

Get some chisels,,, 60 min tops it will be perfect.

southpawP8NTR

I like the first one. With the addition of what shovel said and "Sports & Clothing" skewed a little more upright. Can't wait to see the end result.

sinetist

Get some chisels,,, 60 min tops it will be perfect.

I like that idea and I'm sure it would be satisfying to do and look excellent. I would like that part to overlap the letters so I' could build that part up from the wood surface....perhaps some easily carveable sign foam ... got lots of scraps of that around. I should mention that this sandblasted sign is only 15" tall x 42" long and the closest you could get to it would be about 16 feet away from the road (with a ditch between).

Service Sign Co

I would make it a little more traditional looking, not too much skews or proportions being that it is a permanent redwood sandblasted sign.

Last edited:

zmatalucci

I like that idea and I'm sure it would be satisfying to do and look excellent. I would like that part to overlap the letters so I' could build that part up from the wood surface....perhaps some easily carveable sign foam ... got lots of scraps of that around. I should mention that this sandblasted sign is only 15" tall x 42" long and the closest you could get to it would be about 16 feet away from the road (with a ditch between).

GO AT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Explore your creativity!! Seriously