• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Damn, you guys are being so mean.

wayne k
guam usa

let me join you......

Attachments

• fcp.jpg
    fcp.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 76

Locals Find!

Addie, I'm not saying this just to pile on or give you crap, but that is _bad_.

Besides being able to design and provide the customer with a logo that's appealing, part of our job is to guide the customer in the right direction. If they want crap, it's out job to talk them out of it. Hiding behind the "client is happy" line is BS.

Not hiding behind "the client is happy" I said I wasn't happy with it. Just thought you guys would enjoy it. Only reason I shared it. Not using it to brag about what I did. Just thought it be good for some chuckles.

signswi

As a designer you live and die by the quality of work you put out into the world. If you put that out into the world you can't just blame it on the client as you could have put a stop to it at any time. Designers are not pencils. If a client wants a pencil, give them one, don't be one for them.

Despite that, it's awful even if exactly as the client dictated. There's no design...it's at best a graphic drawing (scribble?), but it does not deserve to be called a design. Design is process, standards, art historical rules and reference, visual psychology, market research, experimentation, human interfacing...design is a lot, but that's not design.

ForgeInc

Addie,

I almost can't tell if you are serious. Sad part is, I think you are. I think you ARE serious that you delivered this to your client, you actually billed them, and they actually paid you for it. I mean...seriously, the fact that people get paid doing work this bad sometimes makes me hate the profession I have been in for almost 20 years.

Good designers are at the mercy of good clients who appreciate the work we do.

Damn! Why should I stay up late on presentations, work and re-work then re-work some more on design projects only to see stuff this bad going out in the world? AHHHH! Ugh, I need work where I don't rely on clients. Seriously, that logo is depressing.

To the rest of you, sorry for the rant! I am only kinda serious regarding the above. I enjoy my work and what I do but crap like this make me wanna quit and go wash dishes sometimes.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Johan,
when Fred wakes up he is going to(u)can you if you keep re-posting this same message to multiple threads.

Pointless replies (see all GAC05 posts for examples) in this thread are accepted but have to be somewhat related to the topic.

wayne k
guam usa

Locals Find!

Addie,

I almost can't tell if you are serious. Sad part is, I think you are. I think you ARE serious that you delivered this to your client, you actually billed them, and they actually paid you for it. I mean...seriously, the fact that people get paid doing work this bad sometimes makes me hate the profession I have been in for almost 20 years.

Good designers are at the mercy of good clients who appreciate the work we do.

Damn! Why should I stay up late on presentations, work and re-work then re-work some more on design projects only to see stuff this bad going out in the world? AHHHH! Ugh, I need work where I don't rely on clients. Seriously, that logo is depressing.

To the rest of you, sorry for the rant! I am only kinda serious regarding the above. I enjoy my work and what I do but crap like this make me wanna quit and go wash dishes sometimes.

I understand you don't believe its a design. Now, I figure if the world likes something then its acceptable. Who made these standards you all preach about?? I sit $hit designs from people on here that get called great by the s101 community but, when I show them to consumers they say WTF is that.

Other designs of mine I spent a whole 30 minutes on and think its going to get bashed and you guys love it. You make no sense. Don't get me wrong they are a lot more good than bad designs on here.

However, my design was paid for. The client loves it his clients love it, (I personally don't think its my best work) He paid fair market for it. I didn't lowball the price and bring the industry pricing down any.

So, you guys have some huge egos to sit there and insult me. Am I and others to believe that every piece you turn out is a Mona Lisa or Monet??

Some of the most recognized & sought after artists in the world Bent stuff and called it art or stole copyrighted logos (Campbells soup can lables) to make art. Salvadore Dali & Andy Warhol. (for those uneducated in art)

The value of a logo, design or artwork is always in the eye of the beholder. Not some guys/gals hiding behind keyboards that call themselves experts in a field. Dan Antonelli I will listen too. He made his bones in the field. The rest of you are no different than me.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Picture4-6.png
    Picture4-6.png
    605.2 KB · Views: 101

Pat Whatley

Wait, wait, wait just a dang minute....did you seriously just compare yourself to Salvadore Dali & Andy Warhol? That's strong right there. I can see the exhibit now....walls full of logos that changed the the direction of graphic design, giant blow ups of some of the more famous pieces, college kids with posters of your portfolio on their walls, t-shirts, coffee mugs, a Signature Edition Ladder from Werner. Man, it's gonna be beautiful and maybe, just maybe, I'll still be around to tell people I was there when it all started.

Can I get your autograph?

By the way....Salvadore Dali did the ladder first. This one is a piece of his work displayed at the Dali Museum in Spain.

Attachments

• dali ladder.jpg
    dali ladder.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 105

Jillbeans

I'm different than you.
Not everything I design is a masterpiece but I do try to follow basic design rules.
You're a broker who's a wanna-be designer.
Some people come on here, post bad work, get good advice, take it, and become decent sign makers.
Others consistently post utter garbage then get insulted when given critique, and keep coming back with more garbage then boo-hoo when they still don't get their expected "atta-boy".
I don't know why you are still permitted on this forum, in all honesty.
Your references to Warhol and Dali are a joke at best. Have you ever seen any of Warhol's early works? He didn't just reproduce soup labels.

Locals Find!

Wait, wait, wait just a dang minute....did you seriously just compare yourself to Salvadore Dali & Andy Warhol? That's strong right there. I can see the exhibit now....walls full of logos that changed the the direction of graphic design, giant blow ups of some of the more famous pieces, college kids with posters of your portfolio on their walls, t-shirts, coffee mugs, a Signature Edition Ladder from Werner. Man, it's gonna be beautiful and maybe, just maybe, I'll still be around to tell people I was there when it all started.

Can I get your autograph?

By the way....Salvadore Dali did the ladder first. This one is a piece of his work displayed at the Dali Museum in Spain.

I was not comparing myself. I was making a point that beauty of design, logos, and art is always in the eye of the beholder.

I'm different than you.
Not everything I design is a masterpiece but I do try to follow basic design rules.
You're a broker who's a wanna-be designer.
Some people come on here, post bad work, get good advice, take it, and become decent sign makers.
Others consistently post utter garbage then get insulted when given critique, and keep coming back with more garbage then boo-hoo when they still don't get their expected "atta-boy".
I don't know why you are still permitted on this forum, in all honesty.
Your references to Warhol and Dali are a joke at best. Have you ever seen any of Warhol's early works? He didn't just reproduce soup labels.

My point is who made those basic design rules? Rules are meant to be bent & broken then new rules written.

Am I saying its my best work NO! I don't think so. What I am saying is the harsh insults I received were overboard. I posted it so you guys could laugh at it and enjoy it, or even critique it.

Personal insults against me serve no purpose for me, you, or anyone else. You don't like the design fine. Insult the design leave the personal attacks at home.

Pat Whatley

Rules are meant to be bent & broken then new rules written.
....and you think you have the knowledge and skill set to be the chosen one to push the envelope? You're going to lead the next great design trend? You have seen outside the box that the hundreds of thousands of other designers have been trapped in?

.....or are you just another person using that as an excuse for shoddy work?

Wait....it wasn't your idea anyway. You're telling me the next great design icon is currently wasting his time cleaning pools? Come on Addy, you owe it to humanity to get him off his duff. I beg you to take the man a pad of bristol board and box of Rapidograph pens today. TODAY, ADDY. Every day without exposing the world to this genius is a day the world has lost. It will be a Good Will Hunting type moment Addy....and you'll be just like the genius math professor who found him!

weaselboogie

You have to know the rules before breaking them. That 'breaking the rules' think is just something that crap designers say.

And yes, I think the board is being a bit overly blunt and brutal with your critique, but you've been a big a-hole since you've been on this board, so everyone has no problem telling you what a piece of crap that thing is. You've earned everyone of those brutal critiques and more. No one is lying to you, it is terrible, but also, no one is masking their feelings. How's that medicine tastin'?

John Butto

When you do an art piece, logo, design painting and so on it is a part of you. Do you think when a Dali or Warhol are in an artshow that people all accept it as they walk in front of the painting, do you think that everyone accepts it and makes no comment about how bad it is or I could do that. Your artwork is not cutting edge, do not mean that in a mean way, just being truthful. An example on customers, years ago was designing some artwork for a person and they would not accept it. So I went back and looked up some DaVinci drawings and put those in instead of mine, their comments, "are you kidding me, the other stuff was better". Never went back to them, maybe the people that like your stuff are related to those inbreds.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Johan,
when Fred wakes up he is going to(u)can you if you keep re-posting this same message to multiple threads.

Pointless replies (see all GAC05 posts for examples) in this thread are accepted but have to be somewhat related to the topic.

wayne k
guam usa

Stacy woke up first :smile:

HulkSmash

Other designs of mine I spent a whole 30 minutes on and think its going to get bashed and you guys love it. You make no sense. Don't get me wrong they are a lot more good than bad designs on here.

show me ONE. just ONE of ANYTHING you've designed that we love.
please
PLEASE

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You think you got harsh insults ?? Well, deservedly so.

You're nothing but a broker and a lousy one at that. You have no clue as to what you're doing and want to tell us you can bend the rules ?? You don't even know any rules to break, so don't come off comparing yourself to people who know the rules and know how to bend them. You just do garbage and if you think you got fair market value.... you might've, but your clients were ripped off.... big time. They're happy because they evidently don't know any better, either. You're meant for each other.

All you do is talk about putting food on the table and how your competition has to and your clients have to and you want us all to think you some frickin' humanitarian, when you're nothin' but a cheap old broker who hasn't a clue as to how to get out of the hole you dug for yourself here.

You don't know chit about nothing in this industry.

And last.... you are nothing like anyone on this site. Even the old Cappy's and S&F's had a feel for design.... mind you, not a good feel, but far superior to you.

You come here lying about your website, your abilities, your customers, your copyrighted crap, you're gonna pay signme for something and kept back-pedaling. You're nothing but a frickin' lying cheat. Did he get paid yet ??

rant over.

:Oops: no it's not............​

You wanna bend some rules and see if you get away with it ??

• Go sit in front of a train and see if you can stay in one piece while it's hauling ass over you.
  • Jump out of a plane without a parachute at 13,000 ft.
  • Did your parents ever ask you to run away from home?

Really Addie..... do you want people to accept you as you are or do you want them to like you?

Status
Not open for further replies.