• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jillbeans

My point is who made those basic design rules? Rules are meant to be bent & broken then new rules written.
I don't know who wrote them. But I did learn them both in art school and via sign forums and in real life from my mentors.

Jillbeans

A rule I know that even an idiot should know walked into my shop this morning.
Guy had orange corosigns with emerald green lettering, in stretched and squished Comic Sans. Wanted me to make a patch for on them because he said they weren't readable.
I quoted him for new signs. Will he buy them? Probably not, he will go to some local chop shop and get his patches thinking he is getting a bargain.

You get what you settle for, and obviously you have customers who only see the price not the value. I pity your customers.
Although there was that thread where you said you'd charge $320 for an 18"x18" window decal...maybe the worm wrote that reply.

Dan Antonelli

Dan Antonelli I will listen too. He made his bones in the field.

Addie, (and I say this with the utmost courtesy, as I don't like to criticize anyone's efforts) - that was seriously bad. Getting paid, or client liking it will not make it any better.

Once upon a thread, I believe someone mentioned to maybe get some of my logo design books. Please tell me you haven't read my books, and if you have then I'm going to just bury my head in the sand, forget finishing my third book, pack it all in and just go back to being a second rate pinstriper.

You can do better!

Locals Find!

show me ONE. just ONE of ANYTHING you've designed that we love.
please
PLEASE

I couldn't find the thread to link back too. I know its out there somewhere. Doug (Isign) helped a lot in tweaking this one. It was a fairly extensive thread.

Attachments

• logo-green-purple-no-tag.jpg
    logo-green-purple-no-tag.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 97

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Some of the most recognized & sought after artists in the world Bent stuff and called it art or stole copyrighted logos (Campbells soup can lables) to make art. Salvadore Dali & Andy Warhol. (for those uneducated in art)

Did you just compare yourself to two famous artists? You sir, are no Dali.

Based on what you produced, an appropriate comparison would be the following: http://youtu.be/fLDVaODnJvE

Deaton Design

Some people are born with the talent for design, some learn it, and some, no matter what they do or read, will never have the "eye" for what looks right and works. If you post designs here, you better be ready to find out what category you are in, cause the people here will tell you like it is. If there isnt some talent within a person to be able to tell if something looks right or wrong, no matter how many designs you do, over and over, it still wont work. There are alot of good designers out there looking for work, including quite a few on here, that could make someone good money and be an asset to their business. Its something to consider.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ah yes, I forgot all about the ol' quote worm. The 'worm' that emailed gino concerning a quote without Addie's knowledge. That worn needs to get on the payroll!

Not to mention, he said back then he'd never use me or entertain the thought of using our services and what do you know low and behold.... I got another one, just recently. This time the worm talked to me. I'm sure it was a worm because of the grammar, misspellings and stupidity behind the thoughts.

signswi

I understand you don't believe its a design. Now, I figure if the world likes something then its acceptable. Who made these standards you all preach about?? I sit $hit designs from people on here that get called great by the s101 community but, when I show them to consumers they say WTF is that.

Other designs of mine I spent a whole 30 minutes on and think its going to get bashed and you guys love it. You make no sense. Don't get me wrong they are a lot more good than bad designs on here.

However, my design was paid for. The client loves it his clients love it, (I personally don't think its my best work) He paid fair market for it. I didn't lowball the price and bring the industry pricing down any.

So, you guys have some huge egos to sit there and insult me. Am I and others to believe that every piece you turn out is a Mona Lisa or Monet??

Some of the most recognized & sought after artists in the world Bent stuff and called it art or stole copyrighted logos (Campbells soup can lables) to make art. Salvadore Dali & Andy Warhol. (for those uneducated in art)

The value of a logo, design or artwork is always in the eye of the beholder. Not some guys/gals hiding behind keyboards that call themselves experts in a field. Dan Antonelli I will listen too. He made his bones in the field. The rest of you are no different than me.

As a graphic designer with a BA in Art History with concentrations in modern, post-modern & design...you have no idea what you're talking about. NOT putting crap out into the world, that wasn't even designed in the first place, is part of what makes a designer. You have a responsibility to do good work or to F out of the industry. Slapping a title on your business card doesn't make you a designer or what you do designs. And your bullshit about "oh look at this weirdo art"? Seriously, get a clue. It's blatantly obvious you don't even have the smallest fathom of the art world or why those pieces are so important, and that's just yet another indicator that you have no business in the design field.

Take your lumps and improve but crap posts like that aren't helping. Go get some education, practice, and re-enter the field in 4 to 6 years. It's clear to everyone here that you don't have an eye or any skills as things stand now. You're probably a decade or more away from having a trained eye, which is more important than raw skills (of which you also seem to completely lack).

Harsh? Sure, but truth. Could be a lot harsher.

ForgeInc

I understand you don't believe its a design. Now, I figure if the world likes something then its acceptable. Who made these standards you all preach about?? I sit $hit designs from people on here that get called great by the s101 community but, when I show them to consumers they say WTF is that.

Other designs of mine I spent a whole 30 minutes on and think its going to get bashed and you guys love it. You make no sense. Don't get me wrong they are a lot more good than bad designs on here.

However, my design was paid for. The client loves it his clients love it, (I personally don't think its my best work) He paid fair market for it. I didn't lowball the price and bring the industry pricing down any.

So, you guys have some huge egos to sit there and insult me. Am I and others to believe that every piece you turn out is a Mona Lisa or Monet??

The value of a logo, design or artwork is always in the eye of the beholder. Not some guys/gals hiding behind keyboards that call themselves experts in a field. Dan Antonelli I will listen too. He made his bones in the field. The rest of you are no different than me.

Far from saying everything I turn out is great. Much of it I think mediocre at best compared to peers or standards I put myself up against. What I DO know is when I was 16 years old making signs for Safeway, gong to work high, with no art education or work experience in 5 minutes I could bang out better work than you have ever posted using 3" wide felt pens, sharpies, and magic makers.

I think I get you now, and suddenly I feel better. You are just...slow.

I think that is better than being a total douchebag which is what I have thought since I joined.

It's the only excuse. I mean, How can we ALL be wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.