• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Tiling A banner

Merle

Sup Everybody!

I run a small print shop out of my house for schools in the area and for general day to day stuff where people have no clue where to go when it comes to signage. I've somehow stumbled into the Graduation and prom business and am now doing graphics and signage for moms and their kids.
I had a parent reach out to me about a 7 foot by 5 foot backdrop. I have a HP latex 115 print/cut system. So the general thought process would be to tile the damn thing and just tape it together. Only issue is that taping kinda sucks and if you aren't dead perfect on lining it up its noticeable.
Have you guys ever ran into this and do you have any fixes or go to products to help. Im not a welder and Im not that good with a sewing machine.

Thanks

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Since your printer is a 54", I think your options are:
A) Tape/Sew. Carefully.
B) Invest in one of those heat-seamer/welders for banners (still, carefully)
C) Convince the customer to go with a 54" banner.
D) Outsource.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Outsource... They'll get a better product from someone capable of producing it, you make money and not worry about how to make it work.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Keep in mind that gloss vinyl may not make for a very good backdrop. Finished matte vinyl can be had for around $1 sq.ft. There is no way you can do it cheaper yourself with that machine working out of a spare room.

If you do it yourself:
Ink (including head cost and cleaning kit): $12
Media: $6
Grommets: $2
Total labor (min. wage plus avg. insurance): $13/hr
Tape, thread, overhead, equipment cost, etc. $?

Merle

So I ended up doing it (since I already agreed that I would do it prior) I ended up printing an overlay and a quarter inch and using double sided tape to line it on on the banner. It didnt look bad but trying to do that for anything else would be pretty time consuming for me to say the least. (took me about 3 hours from completion of print to finish with sewing a pocket.) Next time i'll just suggest a size that i dont have to to tile OR outsource if the money is good enough. Thank you guys!