Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for my morning rant. Terminology!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by myront, Mar 27, 2020.

1. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    I just recieved a powerpoint file to revise and print. Powerpoint is the most common program used by the military. It's the only one authorized throughout. Anyway the file comes with 4 slides and a request to combine a 1 slide with 2 others. All of which I don't have a problem with. What I do have a problem with is this request "roughly 36" wide by 24" long"

Couple of wrongs here. Can you see them?
    1. Roughly? Why not just create the signs to specific dimensions? You can do that in PPT. Guarantee I'm going to have to rearrange things.
    2. "Long"? Who in their right mind uses such a term to describe anything but a snake or a lumber? Long, in my book, would always describe width. Never height! And, actually, I wouldn't use that term to describe a sign or "board" as they say. Width and Height are the correct terms!

Tags:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    man, I've even had someone say depth x length. That was mind-boggling. I've had people try to correct me on the arrangement i.e. I say a 3x8 banner (pointing to a 3ft H x 8ft W banner on the wall) and they say "oh you mean 8ft x 3ft?" No, I mean, look at the banner on the wall pal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  3. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I've never could understand the length for height thing (never had someone say depth for any of those), but changing the arrangements I can understand as different industries list attributes in different order. It all depends on what their background is in. I just look at it and get what I need from the orientation.

4. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    I was always told W x H in that order

fixed the typo

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN

I was first told w x h. But I've gotten just as many people with switching it around. That I just go by the context of the shape of whatever is being talked about. In coding it's also width, height when doing attributes of objects.

Length I've only dealt with when dealing in 3D space. USPS packages etc. Otherwise it's Z-axis.

6. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Exactly, 36"x24" (wide x long)

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    How does it fit a 2" x 4" x 96" ?? Can you say hand me that 4 x 2 ??

Ins't it just easier to say 24" left to right and 36" up and down or top to bottom ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    I mean w x h haha. I always try to sneak in a couple of extra inches

9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    That's what you tell your wife too, huh ??

10. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    She smiles and nods. She is very supportive

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  11. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    We've always been WxH except for 18x24. It's very hard for me to say 24x18 when talking about yard signs. And I get confused when looking at different vendors that don't specify HxW and just have different combination of numbers. Especially with coro. Like just tell me 24x18 18in flutes or 24x18 24in flute. I don't know.

12. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    I don't like 24 x 18. It's 1 size and 1 orientation. 18 x 24 "Portrait" or "Landscape". I prefer to see/hear a numerical order so even if you tell me 24 x 18 I'm going to ask "Portrait or Landscape"? When I type the name of my files it's 18 x 24 blah blah blah, never will I type it the other way around because it's not numerical. How does one know the orientation? Open the file or look at the thumbnail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Mrs. Lightfoot taught in grade school to express width as "X", height as "Y", and depth as "Z" as in the same order as the alphabet. Thereafter, my instructors for wood shop, metal shop, drafting, computer science, etc., have never disagreed with her.

The mnemonic reminder is “X” is crossed (across), “Y” is high, as the letter has its arms up, and “Z” is front-to-back as the letter is formed when drawn. The method provides the answer to whether the orientation is portrait vs landscape in the case of most graphic design.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jburns

Jburns Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    this way - the same way we refer to picture frames

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State

WINNER!

16. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I'm with Gino, I always ask it that way, left to right/top to bottom.

17. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    If you look in any of your sign supply catalogs, you will see that all the materials are listed WxH

18. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    This isn’t even an America thing, worldwide standard is width then height.

I had a customer send in an 183cm x 100cm sign (exactly the same as they’d ordered before, just different dimensions)

So I changed their layout, which was landscape anyway, saved the file to PDF, then had the file name include the dimensions. I.e. school sign 183cm x 100cm.

So we sent an electronic PDF then a proof approval form they need to sign and send back. Which they did.

customer emails a couple days after receiving their sign saying we made it the wrong way and tried to blame us for not confirming it was 183 wide and not High.

pointed out they had a (clearly) landscape sign proof (one quick glance and it’s almost a 2:1 ratio with width to height). The file nam included the dimensions and they had signed the proof approval form saying they are responsible for layout, text etc.

lomg story short, they ordered another sign!

even reading graphs, I always remember it as “along the corridor then up the stairs” and it’s just standard across all measuring??

19. Ian Stewart-Koster

Ian Stewart-Koster Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    ask portrait or landscape - this saves confusion...
    but I can never figure the USA convention of specifying timber or other things by the smallest dimension first.
    We'd talk of a beam being 8x4 (inches) or 200x100 (mm), or a sheet being 10x5 ft.
    Convention here is the bigger number comes first- except when specifying corflute/coroplas - where the first number specified is the direction of the flutes, so 600x900 has the flutes running left to right in a portrait panel, along the 600mm side, but 900x600 has the flutes running up and down - along the 900 length.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I usually specify only one. Customer asks for a 2x3 signs that reads 'no visitors allowed'. I draw it up (with dimensions) shoot it back and in the email indicate a 2x3wide sign.
    I found it irritating because coming from the CNC side, it's a HxW on all sheet stock. 4x8, 5x10, same with the blanks of 18x24 and 12x18 and 8x5x11.
    And corel takes dimensions WxH if you tab between the two input boxes...