Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for my morning rant. Terminology!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by myront, Mar 27, 2020.

1. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    It's the same thing with architects. We don't understand their language, they don't understand ours.

2. kcollinsdesign

kcollinsdesign Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Normal, Illinois
    I have never heard of a piece of paper being referred to as "eleven by eight and a half." Everybody always names the horizontal measurement first (8 1/2 x 11). Why should it be different for signs?

3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    So if someone asks for a 4'x8' site sign from you they get a 8' tall sign? The best solution is to always confirm the orientation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. kcollinsdesign

kcollinsdesign Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Normal, Illinois
    If someone orders a 4x8 sign, it is most likely they will want a horizontal orientation. I always confirm.

In specifications and on contracts, I go W x H x L. When I go to the store to pick up a piece of plywood, I refer to it as a 4 x 8. To make sense of it in my own mind, I figure a raw plywood sheet has no orientation until I decide what it is going to be when I make the sign.

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

And NOBODY understands you. I know, I know...... you're not paying attention. So what else is new ??

6. JWitkowski

JWitkowski New Member

When I lived and worked in Ireland, a piece of lumber that is called a 2x4 (2 by 4) in North America is called a 4x2 there. Same with our 2x6, called 6x2 in Ireland, etc. A sheet of 4x8 plywood here is an 8x4 sheet over there. But, when you go to the lumber store to buy, all the sizes of lumber and fasteners are actually listed in metric, millimeters or centimeters. I'm Canadian and grew up using both systems (I guess that makes me measurement bilingual?) so it wasn't a problem, just interesting to see the differences.

7. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I only pay attention to professional sign people.

8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    :roflmao: and how would Y O U know what that is ??

C'mon sam, stop acting like you know what's going on....... in the world, let alone the sign industry.

9. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I always do HxL. I say 4x8, 3x10, 5x10, coro 18x24 height and length I never say width

10. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    This is exactly why the US military writes the date as 4 Mar 1965. Because someone may misinterpret 3/4/65 st April 3? Always best to make it "dummy proof".
    24x18, 18x24? Still leaves out the most important information as to eliminate any confusion. Portrait or Landscape OR 18h x 24w

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MI Bearcat

MI Bearcat Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Canton, Michigan
    Paper is always listed with the second dimension being the grain direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I knew there was a reason for that, but I had forgotten about the grain information. Many years ago, had a guy working for me that could tell the front or back side of ANY piece of paper, simply by touching it. Felt side and web side. I never really got the knack to do it successfully, but someone trained in that can everytime.

13. McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs McDonald Signs & Graphics

Feb 11, 2013
    Guin, Alabama
    This is not an answer to the question, but I've got to where I always add dimensions to my proofs (like alot of other people do) I send to my customer to clarify the height and width they will be getting.

I work in CorelDraw and just made a file named measuring lines and saved it with the lines with hairlines that stay the width same no matter the size I make them and with editable numbers.

I copy and paste the file into my design each time and scale the lines to fit and change the numbers.

It saves alot of confusion when the customer can see the actual Height and Width around the sign or decal design itself.

It's hard for them to come back and say I got the measurements wrong after approving the design.

Attached Files:

14. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Now this may work between you and the customer, this drives me absolutely batsh*t when our less than experienced salesman gives the customer art with dimensions. He just uses the dimension tool in corel (for the arrows entirely), then types a number over it. Then I get the art, see dimensions, pull the art into my own corel workspace (because these guys butcher scale and nudge options constantly), then go to type in some dimensions, and surprise, that 18x24 is actually 17.6x24.

15. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    I use a Corel Macro to drop in the dimension lines. Select my sign blank then hit the letter d and bam.
    upload_2020-3-31_14-25-40.png

16. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Share the macro? It's painful watching some folks click on the top corner and then try to scroll down to the bottom corner while the view is locked...

17. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Macro works for X4 - 2020
    You can customize the code to suit your taste. Color, mm,etc.

Sub QuickDimensions()
    Dim srSelection As ShapeRange
    Dim x As Double, y As Double, w As Double, h As Double
    Dim sPt1 As SnapPoint, sPt2 As SnapPoint
    Dim s As Shape

Optimization = True
    ActiveDocument.BeginCommandGroup "Quick Dimensions"
    EventsEnabled = False
    ActiveDocument.SaveSettings
    ActiveDocument.PreserveSelection = False
    On Error GoTo ErrHandler

Set srSelection = ActiveSelectionRange
    srSelection.GetBoundingBox x, y, w, h
    Set sPt1 = CreateSnapPoint(x, y + h)
    Set sPt2 = CreateSnapPoint(x + w, y + h)
    Set s = ActiveLayer.CreateLinearDimension(cdrDimensionHorizontal, sPt1, sPt2, True, , , cdrDimensionStyleFractional, Units:=cdrDimensionUnitIN)
    s.Dimension.TextShape.SetPosition x + w / 2, y + h + 1

s.Dimension.TextShape.Text.Story.Size = 54
    s.Dimension.TextShape.Fill.UniformColor.CMYKAssign 45, 45, 45, 100

Set sPt1 = CreateSnapPoint(x, y)
    Set sPt2 = CreateSnapPoint(x, y + h)
    Set s = ActiveLayer.CreateLinearDimension(cdrDimensionVertical, sPt1, sPt2, True, , , cdrDimensionStyleFractional, Units:=cdrDimensionUnitIN)

s.Dimension.TextShape.SetPosition x - 1, y + sx / 2

s.Dimension.TextShape.Text.Story.Size = 54
    s.Dimension.TextShape.Fill.UniformColor.CMYKAssign 45, 45, 45, 100

ExitSub:
    ActiveDocument.PreserveSelection = True
    ActiveDocument.RestoreSettings
    EventsEnabled = True
    Optimization = False
    ActiveDocument.ClearSelection
    ActiveWindow.Refresh
    Application.Refresh
    ActiveDocument.EndCommandGroup
    Exit Sub

ErrHandler:
    MsgBox "Error occured: " & Err.Description
    Resume ExitSub
    End Sub

• Like Like x 1
  18. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    This is great. Except (not complaining) I had to go figure out what to do with the code. It was very interesting to read through this and recall that bit of C++ from high school. In any case I ran straight to google and searched for "corel x6 macros" on good old google. I had a hearty chuckle when the first result was you(presumably) helping someone else on a corel forum!

19. Big Rice Field

Big Rice Field Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer

Feb 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    You can really stump them by describing the aspect ratio.;)

20. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Not sure if you're on reddit, but someone posted in r/commercialprinting the other day saying their customer sent this