• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Time/Money Saving Computer Devices

96XP

Dual Display Port switcher - works across two computers, sharing mouse/keyboard and other options.
Saves desk space.

dual display port.jpg

This shortcut keyboard is a real time saver. Only place I could find it was on Aliexpress and well worth the dollars. Able to change and control brushes on-the-fly, and more.

PS shortcut keyboard.jpg

ikarasu

There's lots of keyboards with programmable buttons.

Look for " g keys" a bit more expensive, but not a seperate keyboard.

There's also naga mice, which I think is better for photoshop / etc as you can swap buttons with just your thumb, if you like the kB you may love the mouse. Corsair makes a version as well.

Razer Naga X Wired MMO Gaming Mouse: 18K DPI Optical Sensor - 2nd-gen Razer Optical Switch - Chroma RGB Lighting - 16 Programmable Buttons - 85g - Classic Black https://a.co/d/a1g5s2J

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We have two computers for RIP and design, and use Share Mouse, so I just have one mouse and one keyboard for both computers and displays. For hot keys, the ones I use in programs/apps are engrained in me, so the normal keyboard works just fine.

WildWestDesigns

Split Keyboard (true split keyboard, not the faux split keyboard) that has 32 layers to program for regular key output and/or for macros, streamdeck using for the traditional streaming workflow, but also in lieu of the Wacom Remote (nice having an LCD display), having wrote bash scripts as well as c++ programs that automate various functions to minimize the tedious aspects (various file exporting, ziping, removing excess versions of files/patterns/charts etc) and running the necessary programs headless to minimize resource usage compared to if it was run in a GUI (when able to).

Also can't beat a triple monitor setup with the Cintiq for drawing/animating/modeling etc compared to just using keyboard/mouse.

Try to minimize mouse usage (only input device of that type would be the stylus input from the Wacom monitor) also helps. Moved more to a "keyboard" centric workflow, in quotes because I have migrated a lot of the Wacom remote usage to the streamdeck and not really using the keyboard for those key bindings (I also have to tuck away the keyboard as I bring the wacom monitor down to do my drawing/modeling/animating, so keyboard isn't within easy reach during that time).

96XP

Late reply (as I was away).
In the past, I did try some other gaming hardware to use as shortcut board, however couldn't get it programmed sufficiently for my needs.

That said, the bonus in the keyboard I posted above - is that it has dials
and it can change brush size and weight 'On-The-Fly'.
Just thought to mention that ;)

WildWestDesigns

In the past, I did try some other gaming hardware to use as shortcut board, however couldn't get it programmed sufficiently for my needs.

I never understand that trend to use gaming hardware for this type of work. Sure, some of it may be powerful enough (when talking about computer components) that it could work by "brute force", but not necessarily still the best for this type of work. Same with gaming accessories. I had a few logitech keyboards that had the G macro keys and it was limited mainly by what they allowed with their firmware and the software to interact with it. Also back when I was messing with those, the settings didn't live on the keyboard, so if you move it somewhere else, had to take along that settings file to import if the software was available at the next computer. I tend to like the hardware that's programmable, lives on the keyboard itself and even if going to a different OS/OS version/or just a different computer, it still just works with all of the settings that were created without the need of additional software.
That said, the bonus in the keyboard I posted above - is that it has dials
and it can change brush size and weight 'On-The-Fly'.
Just thought to mention that ;)
One program that I use a lot has a right click HUD that that functionality lives in. While there is something to be said for the tactile sensation for something that like that, can't also beat good UI with a pen stylus either. I think some of the older software packages are behind in some things.

gnubler

I would say take the word "computer" out of the thread title, and there's the solution.

Seems like the more technology invades our daily lives, the more time and aggravation develops.

ikarasu

I never understand that trend to use gaming hardware for this type of work. Sure, some of it may be powerful enough (when talking about computer components) that it could work by "brute force", but not necessarily still the best for this type of work. Same with gaming accessories. I had a few logitech keyboards that had the G macro keys and it was limited mainly by what they allowed with their firmware and the software to interact with it. Also back when I was messing with those, the settings didn't live on the keyboard, so if you move it somewhere else, had to take along that settings file to import if the software was available at the next computer. I tend to like the hardware that's programmable, lives on the keyboard itself and even if going to a different OS/OS version/or just a different computer, it still just works with all of the settings that were created without the need of additional software.

One program that I use a lot has a right click HUD that that functionality lives in. While there is something to be said for the tactile sensation for something that like that, can't also beat good UI with a pen stylus either. I think some of the older software packages are behind in some things.
The naga / Corsair saves it on board.

They also all backup to the cloud now, so you just have to install the program to import if you move comps a lot and have a lot of things setup.

I've used all 3 - all 3 work with any program in macro mode. Everything I want to do has a hotkey, or can be hotkeyed... Then you just set the g button to use that hotkey.

It's pretty much how the dedicated boards work as well.... Personally I like having 12 buttons on my mouse, or 10 extra keys on the side of my keyboard vs having a whole seperate device on my desk.

The naga in particular - I have 90% of my most use illustrator actions / hotkeys setup... It saves so much time and is so convenient. The. I just sync my illustrator / naga settings to my work PC, and they're both setup nicely at home and work.

I always laugh when our graphics artists are fumbling through the menu buttons trying to find an action.... I printed out a big illustrator / Photoshop short it key list and taped it above their desk as a not so subtle hint

JBurton

Signtologist
I always laugh when our graphics artists are fumbling through the menu buttons trying to find an action.... I printed out a big illustrator / Photoshop short it key list and taped it above their desk as a not so subtle hint
Oh it's so painful to watch anybody slap something together while standing behind them. "Stop right clicking just to select ungroup!!!"
Also, likely more painful, open new chrome tab, click on address bar, type in 'goog', use mouse to select google.com, then use the search bar on the google homepage...
picard-facepalm.jpg

WildWestDesigns

The naga / Corsair saves it on board.

They also all backup to the cloud now, so you just have to install the program to import if you move comps a lot and have a lot of things setup.
I had only used the logitech ones. At the time, it wasn't on the keyboard itself, had to have the programming running as well for it to take affect, otherwise it would just be a "dummy" keyboard.
Although I don't think I could go back to a non split keyboard again.

I do not like the backup to someone else's computer (aka "the cloud"), even as something as trivial as keyboard layout, macro programming. Who knows what else it's capturing, but I guess it really doesn't matter given what other people's OS captures as well.

I don't use a standard mouse anymore (I was a big fan of the MX master series though back in the day), but I did favor some with extra programmable buttons, not just your left-middle-right ones.

There are a lot of people that enjoy doing things the mouse way. When programs got to full fledge GUI status, that really started to bring about inefficiencies like this. People just got complacent.