Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tipping UPS or fed/Ex driver for holidays

Discussion in 'Polls' started by WeekendDirectionals, Dec 1, 2012.

how much are you tipping UPS or fed/Ex driver for holidays

1. zero, they get paid enough

59 vote(s)
    54.6%
  2. 1 to 10 ... cookies or cash minimum gesture

21 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. 11 to 20

10 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. 21 to 50

11 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. over 50

7 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Because tipping is generally used in service industries where the wages are low and tipping is expected as a part of their income.
    I think the way people are discussing this here it really isn't a tip, it's a gift.

2. genericname

genericname Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    Considering that we both have a system that allows below minimum wage payment because it assumes that tipping will supplement a person's pay, it has everything to do with how much someone makes.

I think my realtor did a bang up job, but I'm not sending him a further incentive because I enjoy my house.

3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    You have a good point there. Why tip at all ??

If one does their job and does it well, do you need to reward them more than they ask.... other than saying.... keep the change ??

For the postman, UPS, FedEx, bank teller, Sushi chef, car salesman, plumber, sign maker, girl holds the SLOW/STOP sign for DOT, meter reader, toll booth attendant, internet provider, all of your vendors, all of your grocery checkout people and the list goes on............... who all do a job for an agreed upon pay scale.... why should we pay them more at certain times of the year, so the rest of the year, when we're complaining about how you want to save pennies on your next ink purchase, the next package that comes late... if at all, the used car that doesn't work a week later and whatever else..... where are you big tippers then ??

Look, I'm all for tipping, but only if the situation warrants it. Waitresses or waiters, bartenders, kid cutting the grass, errand boy, employees [my employees.... not someone elses], but not someone already doing their job with a possible intention of extorting more money from you at a holiday. :doh:

4. genericname

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    I may have to see a doctor, Gino. I find myself agreeing with you way too much today.

Loved my visit to Japan for these reasons. No tipping whatsoever. Most actually see it as an insult, as satisfaction for the job is reward enough. Because of that, they also have a system that isn't based on the assumption that the customer will pay more just out of pity.

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    When you leave the doc's, don't forget to tip him.

Last tip I gave someone was..... not to park in front a fire hydrant. Worth = :corndog:

6. VolunteerSign

VolunteerSign Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Great (at least I thought so) tipping story. I owned a restaurant for a number of years. One day one of the waitresses didn't show up for work so I waited tables. I had a party of about 8 come in and I served them. When they started to pay the bill they handed me a $20 tip. I said, "1st off I'm the owner and you don't have to tip me. 2nd I suck as a waitress".

Without missing a beat the customer said "It's my money I can tip whomever I wish..and you are right you do suck as a waitress".

7. genericname

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    :ROFLMAO:

There would have been a draft with how fast that $20 would've returned to my wallet.

8. VolunteerSign

VolunteerSign Member

Jun 5, 2012
    These were fantastic people who went on to put me in touch with the good folks at Maker's Mark who declare they have the first right of refusal to buy the recipe for my BBQ sauce lol.

9. WeekendDirectionals

WeekendDirectionals Member

Dec 2, 2011
  10. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    so are those arrow things with bad script font your logo?

11. WeekendDirectionals

WeekendDirectionals Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I could use the script font from the lower part of this sign but on a four foot high sign it's unidentifiable.

Anyway no need for a :thread

Let's all spread some cheer for the holidays.

Attached Files:

12. john1

john1 Guest

Here we go lol

13. Chriswagner92

Chriswagner92 Member

Aug 26, 2013
    nc
    We always had the same UPS guy and we always baked him cookies or fudge or anything really, he was a good guy and joked with me when i ordered a package under Captain Chris Wagner, PHD.

14. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    .. rising-from-the-grave.gif

15. netsol

netsol Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    i always tip the ups driver

they always accommodate us if we are a few minutes late, getting pickups ready
    or some other problem

16. signcrafters london

signcrafters london Very Active Member

May 22, 2010
    London KY
    15-20 years ago I would absolutely do something for my UPS guy. He was my regular driver and would go above and beyond to get there as early as possible and make sure I got the package if I wasn't at the shop. I had his cell number and could call and schedule for him to meet me at his next stop if I really needed a package quickly.

Now everything is automated -- the stops on their routes are determined by computer. You never know when they'll arrive. Seems I get a different driver each time. It's gotten so bad that if I'm expecting something, I'll call the local office and have them hold it at will-call so I can pick it up myself first thing in the morning.

17. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I didn't even know you were suppose to tip? Never done it.