• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips for applying 48" wide application tape

chartle

We are going to need tape and ship decals that are around 5 feet long and are cut from 48" 3M 680 reflective vinyl.

We just moved to an area thats letting us build and use tables bigger than 30" by 6 feet.

We have a 4' by 8' and a 4' by 12'. I've attached a pic of my setup. Any tips? Maybe a Big Squeegee, I've used a shorter one before we had a laminator.

The only way I can do this by myself is to wrap some of the tape around a 54" tube and use that as sort of a handle. I guess two people would help but thats not always possible.

Of course I would love a ROLLSROLLER but thats not in the budget for now.

thanks

Attachments

• 0303151233a.jpg
    0303151233a.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 220

CanuckSigns

Now we use our rolls roller, however before we got it, we used to put the roll of mask on a holder so it's above the table (see attached pic) pull off enough to cover your graphic, plus a few extra feet, stick the mask to the table and start squeegeeing!

If you have more than 5 to do, it's worth the 5 minutes to web up the laminator!

Attachments

• roll holder.jpg
    roll holder.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 119

klingsdesigns

Every time I use the table to premask. I take the roll of premask and roll it out on the table sticky side up. Then i place the graphic or decals on top of premask and squeegie. I never liked doing it with putting the graphic down first and pulling the mask over the top of it.

fresh

We have the roll attached at the end of the table, and then we tandem tape. One person on each side of the table, and we just go down the line squeegeeing one plane at a time. The roll is about 15" above the table top for the 48" tape (opposed to the 30" roll which is only about 6" above the tabletop.

We should prob use our laminator, but we got so proficient at tandem taping prior to owning a laminator, its not really worth the extra effort of setting it up when we can tape pretty long runs quickly.

petepaz

we also use our laminator, that will give you the best results but i have also used a cardboard core. lay the decals down and then unroll about a foot or so of the mask. put about 3in of the mask to the table and the rest on the decals then take the core and roll it against the mask. this will push out/unroll the mask and mount to the decals. you may have to go over with a squeegee but it works in a pinch.(still rather use the laminator for something that size)

Billct2

What petepaz said but we would use a roll of material, heavier weight helps to lay it down nice.

d fleming

For 5' at a time I can use a 12" squeegee and the table tap dispenser and knock them out quick.

Attachments

• tape dispenser.jpg
    tape dispenser.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 128

bulldozer

since we can use two people, one guy hinges on the table and squeegees, other holds up the transfer tape, done in about 30 seconds.

chartle

Now that really thing about it, really should use the laminator. I don't want to mess up these pieces. 5 feet of this vinyl is around 70 bucks.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you put a little tension on the rollers for the mask you should be able to pull out 5 feet, tag the far end down and squeegee back to the start with the dispenser holding the mask off the vinyl.
If you have trouble keeping the pulled out end straight with the ends wanting to fold down onto the vinyl, stick your 60" stainless ruler to the leading edge and use it as a support as you pull out the mask.
One guy should easily be able to do this while answering the phone with a hands free head set and browsing signs101 via wireless.....

wayne k
guam usa

Typestries

+1 for laminator, super easy.

But, going old school cut vinyl days, we wrapped a 1/2" piece of conduit, 5' long, along the leading edge of the 48" app tape. One guy on each side of table pulls on the conduit, and it pulls off perfectly without any bow or sag. You waste 2-3" per pass but its so much faster and consistent.

Malkin

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-364/Paper-Cutters/Horizontal-Paper-Cutter-48

It's less then 1/4 the price of all those other gadgets. Run it backwards. Has a tension bar so the roll doesn't free roll, but light enough you do not have to hand release. Use a double wide squeegee with the PVC handle.

Cheap enough I just ordered one to try out. Our laminator is too much of a pain to web up to use app tape very often, unless it's 50 to 100 feet at a time.
Might decide to mount this a panel and then mount that with hinges to the end of a bench....

Bretbyron

Cheap enough I just ordered one to try out. Our laminator is too much of a pain to web up to use app tape very often, unless it's 50 to 100 feet at a time.
Might decide to mount this a panel and then mount that with hinges to the end of a bench....

:thumb:I think you are going to like it. I have ours clamped to the table for easy removal and I use something like this: http://www.signwarehouse.com/p-HT-SQL-HAN12.html . Just made my own holder with PVC pipe and a jigsaw. Can't remember if it was 2" or 3" PVC.

I was looking at the Multi Decks, but think I'd have to modify the feet.

Don't forget to run it backwards.